SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK advice needed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK advice needed Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
So, I have a neighbor who is interested in an AK..She already has an AR..I -used- to be well versed in AK's having owned old Arsenal SSR 85B's , an AK103, SLR 95s etc...

What, if any, is a good mid priced AK (btwn 500-700) dollars..I could only advise her to watch teh FSB to make sure they were not crooked..She would be better off spending money on training for that AR, but she wasnt hearing it..smh

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
In my opinion you still can't beat an AK103 or SLR 95 ... and you should be able to find them in that $5-700 price range ...

Edit ... you may have to search a while, I just got one on GunBroker a year or so ago, but I just checked and they've jumped up to $1200+ ... may be the protester panic or that election is around the corner.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Gen 3 AKs from PSA have gotten good reviews. The first generation they built had problems but the current ones are nice and cost the same as a Romanian.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
It will be exceedingly difficult to find a decent AK for that price range.. especially in today's craziness.

I'd recommend something from PSA's current models or a good ol' WASR 10.

In addition to examining the sights for cant, check magazine fit. Some side-to-side play is fine, but too much front to back play with the magazine inserted in the mag well can cause failures to feed.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
good point on the mag fit, forgot that, yep, my holy grail AK is an AK 103KS by Krebs, they are like hens teeth...I will pass that on to her, thanks fellas @!

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Posts: 3315 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
good point on the mag fit, forgot that, yep, my holy grail AK is an AK 103KS by Krebs, they are like hens teeth...I will pass that on to her, thanks fellas @!

You and me both. Couldn't get the scratch when they were at Atlantic the last time. Hated to see em go out of stock.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6957 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ship has sailed on $500 AKs. At the high end of your range, around $700 but a bit more now, the best choice is probably a WASR.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
You will be lucky to find anything under $800 these days and that’s before shipping and transfer fee. The price of AK’s has skyrocketed. WASR 10's are probably her best bet and probably around $800. Atlantic Firearms is a good place to start.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Yes to Atlantic Firearms. We have two AK’s, the Son likes them. I have more love for the VZ-58 though, very good platform, various types.

Posts: 6129 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new Zpap M70 are good and not to expensive.

Posts: 446 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kyoung:
The new Zpap M70 are good and not to expensive.

I agree with this^. Atlantic just had a shipment of these a few weeks ago, and they sold out within a couple of hours.

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I really like the offerings from Riley Defense. Their RAK47 teak model has been good to me thus far. They have won some contracts for their rifles, and I have participated in a full auto shoot with their guns where 40 people took turns dumping mags through it. No issues.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
thanks fellas, she saw the price goughing and flipped LOL, she is ssticking with her AR and convinced her to take a class instead

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah, now is no time to be changing weapons / calibers / etc. It will be some time until that is viable.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by golddot:
thanks fellas, she saw the price goughing and flipped LOL, she is ssticking with her AR and convinced her to take a class instead

Good, education is actually more important than more guns....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post