SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How Was 16" Chosen ? (ANSWER FOUND) << Answer is Wrong Though
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Was 16" Chosen ? (ANSWER FOUND) << Answer is Wrong Though Login/Join 
Banned
posted
How did the 16" length become the number that anything below it is an SBR?

What was the governments fear of SBRs??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
That is the largest violin case size they make. Big Grin

Interesting question though. Looking forward to seeing answers.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Don't know who came up with the number but you might Read about the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Near as I can tell men must have been bigger back in the old days the gov was worried about people concealing a 15" barreled rifle.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
Alright, I'll give this some light. I'm a big guy, most of ya'll dont know that. I can however, very comfortable, CC a OWB a fullsize 9, and very few people be aware I have it. Those have about a 5,6 inch barrel. So for about another 10 inches, I could easily conceal it down a pants leg.

OTOH, I and very much heavier and taller than average, and since we have gotten bigger and taller in the last few centuries, I seriously doubt this is the reason. I dont think 6'2 is as tall as it once was, but its still not average.

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Alright, I'll give this some light. I'm a big guy, most of ya'll dont know that. I can however, very comfortable, CC a OWB a fullsize 9, and very few people be aware I have it. Those have about a 5,6 inch barrel. So for about another 10 inches, I could easily conceal it down a pants leg.

OTOH, I and very much heavier and taller than average, and since we have gotten bigger and taller in the last few centuries, I seriously doubt this is the reason. I dont think 6'2 is as tall as it once was, but its still not average.

Thanks for your input but, I do not have a clue what your point is.
A few centuries ago .............??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,

posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
probably by some idiot politician who never, held, shot, researched from any actual sources, trained with, or thought about a gun without wetting his/her pants....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
How long were barrels on "youth" .22s back then?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I found the answer. Thank you for all of your help.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I found the answer. Thank you for all of your help.

Gonna share it?

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, please share.

Posts: 2750 | Registered: March 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I am curious as well.

My guess would have been that someone pulled 16 inches for a rifle and 18 for a shotgun out of a lower orifice, and at best their being some arbitrary figures based on the average length of the barrels of guns used for hunting.

If there is an actual answer, though, I’d be interested in knowing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Yes, inquiring minds want to know!

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I sent an email with the link to amc, sns3guppy, and to sigfreund, as requested, with some viable answers.
Be well

posted Hide Post
I am also interested in the link .
Always wondered why the 16" length.

Posts: 402 | Location: NH | Registered: March 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Why the secrecy? Why not just post the info here?

But if you feel it's needed, please email me the link too.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I don't know...it's possible that after you open the link and you know the truth...you might get a knock on the door at 2 AM and it will be a hit man...just sayin' Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I always though 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns was so random...but I guess I'll never know.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know the real answer but look at all the rifles from that time period,they all had 22 or 24 inch barrels so 16 must have looked really short.

Posts: 633 | Location: PHILADELPHIA,PA,USA | Registered: October 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
Excerpt from an article, "When legislators decided to regulate firearms, they targeted the favorites of organized crime." Look at some of the movies/shows (documentaries) based on the mob and you see why real quick.

Posts: 1242 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We're gonna get rick-rolled on this one, aren't we? Confused

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post