SIGforum
How Was 16" Chosen ? (ANSWER FOUND) << Answer is Wrong Though

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8760086134

October 12, 2017, 04:58 PM
mrmn50
How Was 16" Chosen ? (ANSWER FOUND) << Answer is Wrong Though
How did the 16" length become the number that anything below it is an SBR?

What was the governments fear of SBRs??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,
October 12, 2017, 05:04 PM
AllenInAR
That is the largest violin case size they make. Big Grin

Interesting question though. Looking forward to seeing answers.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV
October 12, 2017, 05:22 PM
Jelly
Don't know who came up with the number but you might Read about the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Near as I can tell men must have been bigger back in the old days the gov was worried about people concealing a 15" barreled rifle.
October 12, 2017, 05:28 PM
fatmanspencer
Alright, I'll give this some light. I'm a big guy, most of ya'll dont know that. I can however, very comfortable, CC a OWB a fullsize 9, and very few people be aware I have it. Those have about a 5,6 inch barrel. So for about another 10 inches, I could easily conceal it down a pants leg.

OTOH, I and very much heavier and taller than average, and since we have gotten bigger and taller in the last few centuries, I seriously doubt this is the reason. I dont think 6'2 is as tall as it once was, but its still not average.

Used guns deserve a home too
October 12, 2017, 09:04 PM
mrmn50
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
Alright, I'll give this some light. I'm a big guy, most of ya'll dont know that. I can however, very comfortable, CC a OWB a fullsize 9, and very few people be aware I have it. Those have about a 5,6 inch barrel. So for about another 10 inches, I could easily conceal it down a pants leg.

OTOH, I and very much heavier and taller than average, and since we have gotten bigger and taller in the last few centuries, I seriously doubt this is the reason. I dont think 6'2 is as tall as it once was, but its still not average.

Thanks for your input but, I do not have a clue what your point is.
A few centuries ago .............??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrmn50,
October 12, 2017, 09:18 PM
KevinCW
probably by some idiot politician who never, held, shot, researched from any actual sources, trained with, or thought about a gun without wetting his/her pants....

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."
October 12, 2017, 10:37 PM
Il Cattivo
How long were barrels on "youth" .22s back then?
October 12, 2017, 11:09 PM
mrmn50
I found the answer. Thank you for all of your help.
October 13, 2017, 12:56 AM
sns3guppy
quote:
Originally posted by mrmn50:
I found the answer. Thank you for all of your help.

Gonna share it?
October 13, 2017, 01:21 AM
amc
Yes, please share.
October 13, 2017, 07:08 AM
sigfreund
I am curious as well.

My guess would have been that someone pulled 16 inches for a rifle and 18 for a shotgun out of a lower orifice, and at best their being some arbitrary figures based on the average length of the barrels of guns used for hunting.

If there is an actual answer, though, I’d be interested in knowing.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
October 13, 2017, 07:19 AM
Mutiny
Yes, inquiring minds want to know!
October 13, 2017, 07:20 AM
mrmn50
I sent an email with the link to amc, sns3guppy, and to sigfreund, as requested, with some viable answers.
Be well
October 13, 2017, 11:10 AM
jsjac
I am also interested in the link .
Always wondered why the 16" length.
October 13, 2017, 11:19 AM
RogueJSK
Why the secrecy? Why not just post the info here?

But if you feel it's needed, please email me the link too.
October 13, 2017, 11:42 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
I don't know...it's possible that after you open the link and you know the truth...you might get a knock on the door at 2 AM and it will be a hit man...just sayin' Wink

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
October 13, 2017, 12:00 PM
mbinky
I always though 16" for rifles and 18" for shotguns was so random...but I guess I'll never know.
October 13, 2017, 12:07 PM
KML
Don't know the real answer but look at all the rifles from that time period,they all had 22 or 24 inch barrels so 16 must have looked really short.
October 13, 2017, 12:15 PM
CandyMan.45
Excerpt from an article, "When legislators decided to regulate firearms, they targeted the favorites of organized crime." Look at some of the movies/shows (documentaries) based on the mob and you see why real quick.
October 13, 2017, 12:58 PM
RichardC
We're gonna get rick-rolled on this one, aren't we? Confused