SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lightweight 1-4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight 1-4 Login/Join 
posted
Hey guys, looking for opinions on a quality, lightweight 1-4x optic for new upper I have on the way. Cost isnt too much of a concern, havinf said that..I have had good luck with vortex red dots which seem to be a nice balance of cost and quality, But my use has been strictly indoor ranges so theyve never been roughed up.

I'm looking to buy once cry once on something that would take a beating and continue working

Thank you in advance for your insights.

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
Are 1-6 completely out of the question? If not, the Kahles K16 is where its at.

Not really light at just over a pound but the NF NXS 1-4 is the gold standard of rugged 1-4 LPVO.

The Leupold VX5 1-5 comes in at 13oz, has excellent glass, fairly decent price point.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree. Out of all of the various reasonably-priced, battery-powered, lightweight LPV optics I've researched, this is the one. I haven't yet purchased it, though. Still shopping around. I just wish it had a reticle option with a bit bolder cross hair and simple dot, more like this one:

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en...hp?pid=TR25-C-200089

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I happened to be looking at the various trijicons just now.

How does an accupoint compare to an acog?

1-4x isn't set in stone, I just thought that would be a good usable range for general applications and I know most companies have an offering

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
This gent is an occasional member here and in terms of glass, he says he thinks the Accupower is better than the earlier Accupoint scopes (which are still available). I can't speak to the ACOGs, since my experience with them is a brief glance through them at a gun store.

I own two Trijicon Accupower 1-4 scopes. Both are red circle/dot and I'm very pleased with the quality. To be clear, these are not US-made scopes like the ACOGs. These are made in Japan for Trijicon and in my opinion they are worth every penny of their 600 dollar street price.

The Accupoint is a flat field, true 1X. Mine are crisp, edge to edge, no discernible chromatic aberration, no fisheye or barrel distortion. 1/4 MOA clicks.

For mounts, I chose a lightweight option, but not the lightest. The Warne mount is 6.7 ounces and rock solid.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Picture of dkv
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Leupold's VX-R patrol. Very light and a nice reticle.

Doesn't have turret caps and isn't a 1x (1.25x) on the low end.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Connecticut Shoreline | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I bought a Leupold VX-5 to put on my 3 gun AR. I really like it so far.

However, I’m going to try the Trijicon next!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I went with the Kahles k16i - 16.9 oz, and an AeroPrecision mount - 3.3 oz

This was the lightest weight, highest quality & durable option I came up with

Both have been solid through competition and a recent Mike Pannone 2-day carbine class.

Daylight bright red dot and true 1x were important, and this scope delivers. Illuminated ring is also handy for close in hold-overs...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Steiner P4XI is THE 1-4 that I would consider.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

I have one of these as well. I like it A LOT for the 400.00 price tag but if price wasn't a factor, I don't think it would be my first choice.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KHolm
posted Hide Post
I run a couple Trijicon Accupoint 1-4’s, personally. With an Aero Mount you’re 17.2oz. I like the Tritium functionality like an ACOG but variable power and ultra compact. You’re limited with reticle options in the Accupoint line but I shoot well with the German #4.

Isaiah 54:17 - No weapon formed against us shall prosper....

What do I want? A time machine.
When do I want it? Irrelevant.

Posts: 1820 | Location: Central Iowa CAPTIVE | Registered: January 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

I have one of these as well. I like it A LOT for the 400.00 price tag but if price wasn't a factor, I don't think it would be my first choice.

Yeah if price isn't a factor he should get the Kahles you mentioned earlier. 1-6 is more better.

I have a Razor 1-6 which is fantastic, but it isn't lightweight.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dkv:
Take a look at Leupold's VX-R patrol. Very light and a nice reticle.

Doesn't have turret caps and isn't a 1x (1.25x) on the low end.

I have a Leupold Mk AR for my service rifle,

good scope,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
If daylight bright illum isn't needed, the 1-4x24 Accupower is a great scope.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
quote:

This would be my recommendation as well. I'm running several of them on 5.56's and a .450bushmaster - great scopes!

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thank you all for the amount of feedback and information.

This gives me a great place to start narrowing it down and start my homework

I'll report back when a purchase has been made.

posted Hide Post
What about a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X 9.3oz?

Posts: 329 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pony220:
What about a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X 9.3oz?

Leupold's offerings would be great if they could go the extra .5 and get to 1.0x bottom end.

I had a Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x20 and it was nice, but once you use a Vortex Razor or PST Gen 2 on 1x, you are spoiled forever.

Yes, it's worth the weight - but Trijicon did well with the Accupower - the only thing that made me switch to a Gen 2 PST 1-6x24 was I prefer the reticle lines to all the way to the edges of the scope, which helps me center the optic on target without illumination.

They are still great optics and for the price the glass is nice and 1x is very good. If they could make it daylight bright it would be awesome.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
My scopes replaced Aimpoint Comps. Astigmatism turned the dot into a cluster. I could still make hits with the Aimpoints but it was annoying. With prismatic optics, my astigmatism is not an issue.

So, any scope I chose had to be a true 1X, because that is how they're going to be used, just like an RDS.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023