SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lightweight 1-4
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight 1-4 Login/Join 
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
My scopes replaced Aimpoint Comps. Astigmatism turned the dot into a cluster. I could still make hits with the Aimpoints but it was annoying. With prismatic optics, my astigmatism is not an issue.

So, any scope I chose had to be a true 1X, because that is how they're going to be used, just like an RDS.

That is great to know about the Accupower line. I have very bad astigmatism, and even though it's 100% corrected with my Rx, I still get a slight starry effect on the red dot on my Aimpoint PRO. It's not too bad when focused on the target, but like you said, it's annoying.

I want something that is nearly as fast as my Aimpoint at close range, yet offers some magnification for longer shots. I honestly think the "daylight bright" thing, while valid, only really matters if you want to see that same red dot for all shots. Whereas for me, the red dot is most important in low light when the crosshairs can get lost. The Accupower's brightness in low light is fine I think.

Posts: 2331 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by pony220:
What about a Leupold VX-3i 1.5-5X 9.3oz?

Leupold's offerings would be great if they could go the extra .5 and get to 1.0x bottom end.

I had a Mark AR Mod 1 1.5-4x20 and it was nice, but once you use a Vortex Razor or PST Gen 2 on 1x, you are spoiled forever.

Yes, it's worth the weight - but Trijicon did well with the Accupower - the only thing that made me switch to a Gen 2 PST 1-6x24 was I prefer the reticle lines to all the way to the edges of the scope, which helps me center the optic on target without illumination.

They are still great optics and for the price the glass is nice and 1x is very good. If they could make it daylight bright it would be awesome.

Gotta ateup up the VX5/VX6/MK6 line for true 1x

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Gotta ateup up the VX5/VX6/MK6 line for true 1x
Yeah but that bumps you into the $1K range, which opens up the aperture quite a bit on options from Trijicon / Vortex and others.

Back OT, I can heartily recommend the Accupower 1-4x24. I used mine in a daylong, 600 rd carbine course from 3-50 yards and it didn't skip a beat.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x2...flescope-109309.html

14.1 oz $399.00 Lifetime warranty. Illuminated.Mil based reticle with mil adjustments. 30mm tube.

With a mount for $419.00

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-1-4x2...cope-kit-111029.html

I have several SWFA scopes and they have all been great.Look at online reviews of SWFA scopes.Good review of the 1-4 here:

http://www.opticstalk.com/revi...4-hd_topic27800.html

Another review here:

https://www.m4carbine.net/show...A-SS-1-4X24-Opinions

Posts: 12582 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in this hunt a little while ago, and ended up with two. The Steiner PX4i I put on a Ruger MPR, and a Trijicon AccuPower I put on a Bren 805. Aero Precision mount on the MPR, and a Seekins Precision mount on the Bren.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I have the Accupoint 1-4x w/red triangle reticle (TR24R) and an Accupower 1-4x with segmented-circle dot reticle in red (RS24-C-1900006).

Both are excellent choices and both of mine have been through carbine classes without skipping a beat.

The Accupoint with red triangle is the closest to Aimpoint performance in that it is the fastest to acquire reticle that I have used in any variable power optic. It is brighter than the Accupower in bright daylight but dimmer in low light conditions. I can use it for reliable holds on man sized targets out to about 350 yards.

The Accupower reticle is not quite as easy to pick up as the big red triangle but I've never noticed it slowing me down in carbine classes. It's not as brightly illuminated in bright daylight but it's not an issue as you still have the etched black reticle. It's illumination is better for mid-low light settings or where you are glassing against a dark backdrop. The reticle is much better for longer range shooting with the fine center dot and holdover hash marks. I can ring the steel from 100-500 yards all day long just using the marked reticle points for holds.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JonDaddy82:
I was in this hunt a little while ago, and ended up with two. The Steiner PX4i I put on a Ruger MPR, and a Trijicon AccuPower I put on a Bren 805. Aero Precision mount on the MPR, and a Seekins Precision mount on the Bren.

What did you think of the difference between the two?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Steiner has a better reticle for close work, and is absolutely daylight bright. The Trijicon is kiiiinda daylight bright and is superior for longer shots. The build quality of the Steiner is certainly fine, but the Trijicon...well..feels substantial to say the least.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I've got a couple of Steiners and like them, but keep thinking about the Trijicons.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright ive narrowed it down to three...

Trijicon accupower 1-4
Trijicon accupoint 1-4
Vortex pst gen II 1-6

Leaning towards the trijicons based on all the great feedback you guys have provided.

Hoping to hear some commentary from members that own both trijicons and which they would choose and why, if they had to pick just 1

Thanks again for all the input.

Posts: 176 | Location: Rochester NY | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post