SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You can have one non-semi rifle. What is it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can have one non-semi rifle. What is it? Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
How are you with recoil?

I love my .45-70 Marlin, K98, and Steyr Scout in .308.

If I could really "only have one," it would be a tough choice. Probably the .45-70 would win out, Hornady makes some impressive ammo for it. A lot of problems can be solved with .45-70.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
As has already been said, if you have a .357 Magnum, then a lever gun in .357 Magnum should be a no brainier. If I had to choose between a 30-30 and a 45/70, I’d go with the 45/70. If you hand load, the advantages of a 45/70 are impressive.

Sounds like you are leaning towards a Marlin 336 in .30-30. Fine rifle. My only complaints about lever guns is that they are slow and awkward to load. I have 3 of them. If Marlin, try to find an older JM stamped rifle, tho there are some positive things coming from Remington now.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High Speed Low Drag
Operator in the Innis Mode
Picture of Ke Bo Li
posted Hide Post
Ruger #1
lefty, righty, what ev
any caliber you're comfortable with from .22 Hornet up to the dinosaur killers
same overall size as a regular carbine but with a 24 or even 26" tube installed

I think the "check engine" light is burned out

Posts: 710 | Location: Portland,OR | Registered: October 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
It’s a 200 yard max gun.

OK, for short-ish distances. Still a few things to consider.

What are your primary purposes -- hunting, plinking, target shooting, self defense, something else?

What are you accuracy expectations?
What are your energy on target expectations? If this is a consideration.

Do you want to shoot with irons sights or optics.
What are your requirements for ammo capacity and reloading capabilities?

What is your comfort zone with recoil management?
Do you plan to use a suppressor?

Function first, then consider form.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Mauser bolt action rifle.

Posts: 3697 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A .50 Barrett. You can shoot anything with it...….including things a mile away...…well I'm not good enough to, but A sniper can.....LOL

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A Marlin 336 in 30-30 is one of those classic rifles that can easily be recommended. I have one in .35 which is a bit more expensive to shoot.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I couldn't decide either, so I now have one in .357, another in 30-30, and a third in .45-70. All three rounds are very versatile when you handload, and all three guns get shot pretty frequently. I still want one in .45 Colt and .22LR!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
lever action in .357 Mag

to match the revolvers

-----------------------------

I'd start with this.
If you have a pistol in .357 or a .44, grab a good lever action to match a handgun caliber.

Later on, look at a bolt action (Remmington makes a nice lefty bolt action) in a caliber that you may already have: .223/.308 or a 30-06/30-30.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:A lot of problems can be solved with .45-70.

Big Grin

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
In the event it became inconvenient to own semi-automatic rifles (and presumably standard capacity magazines) my single non-semi rifle would be the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. This rugged carbine is based upon the time honored Mauser action and accepts detachable 5-round magazines. With a weight of ~6 lbs. and a length of just over 37", the handling characteristics are superb. And as an added bonus, the chamber is cut to C.I.P. specs making it compatible with less expensive steel case ammo. It will also digest brass case SAAMI loads though CZ issues an accuracy disclaimer re: bullets with a diameter of less than .311 inches.

Posts: 3488 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I have 5 lever guns in various calibers but I'll be honest and say that I enjoy shooting my Henry H001 .22lr more than the others. I love plinking and doing it cheaply makes it more enjoyable.

That said, I'll never sell my JM stamped Marlin in 45-70. With loadings from very mild to shoulder breaking artillery type loads it's very versatile and as Ark pointed out, it can solve a lot of problems. Smile

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
45/70 for me. I have one and would replace it, not something I can say about many of my rifles.

If you want a range toy that can be useful at home or for close up hunting, I believe the 357 is worth serious consideration. .44 mag even more so if hunting is important.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
.45-70 - be it a Henry or Marlin style, both will give you everything you need with a touch of classic style as well.

Posts: 819 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only have one non-semi rifle right?

Since I would need to combine hunting and a standoff platform, I’d like a heavy barreled bolt gun in 308 or 300 Win Mag with a stock that runs DBMs and medium/high end glass with an illuminated reticle. Probably go with 308 for being cheaper to run.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of .308, but I assume almost every lever out there won't be compatible with the exception of Browning and maybe Henry. I do like the Brownings.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
If i had choice of only one rifle...it would be a Winchester M70 in 30-06. I would also learn to reload...very versatile cartridge that can be tailored for a variety of targets.

Posts: 1050 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I like the idea of .308, but I assume almost every lever out there won't be compatible with the exception of Browning and maybe Henry. I do like the Brownings.

Yep, no pointy bullets in a tube magazine. (Hornady's Leverloution is the only exception I can think of.)

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you like lever guns but want an actual solid 200-yard gun, I'd look at a Browning BLR which you can get chambered in many non-lever (typically) calibers.

3006, 308, 270, 243, 7mmRem Mag, 7-08, 300 Win Mag, etc.

I personally wouldn't feel comfortable shooting much of anything at 200 yards with a 762x39 or a 30-30.

For me, though, if I could only have one, it'd be a Winchester Model 70 in 30-06.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blr in 270 or 308, Win88 in 308, all with box mag

Posts: 648 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post