SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You can have one non-semi rifle. What is it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can have one non-semi rifle. What is it? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted
I’m leaning toward a lever, maybe a big caliber, over a bolt gun. As a lefty the levers work better and I really don’t want a lefty bolt.

There are some choices: .357 Magnum, 30-30, 45-70, and even .223. I’m not interested in exotic rounds.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
An AR15, semi auto. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I’m leaning toward a lever, maybe a big caliber, over a bolt gun. As a lefty the levers work better and I really don’t want a lefty bolt.

There are some choices: .357 Magnum, 30-30, 45-70, and even .223. I’m not interested in exotic rounds.

.357 Mag is a pistol round, of course. Not certain what a rifle-length bore does for it? But, if you already have .357 Mag in a revolver: There's that going for it.

.30-30 is quite popular in lever-action rifles. Compared to the other .30's out there it's not much of a performer, though.

45-70 is, of course, the original lever-action carbine round. I almost went with that, myself, for my lever-action, but then decided to got with .45 Colt to match my revolver. Not certain if that was a good idea, but that's what I did.

.223... I don't think I'd find that interesting in a bolt- or lever-action rifle.

If you're going bolt-action I still like the .308 Win, which is what my 700P is chambered for. Were I to do it today I maybe could be convinced to go 6.5 Creedmore. (See current thread.)

If you're going to go lever-action I'd say either 45-70, for tradition's sake, or .30-30, for commonality's sake. Unless, as I said, you already stock .357 Mag. Then there's the "one less caliber to stock" argument.

Is this to be a carbine or a reach out and touch someone rifle? That makes a big difference in chambering selection, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
It’s a 200 yard max gun.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I went 30-30. Easy to find, manageble recoil, as effective as 7.62x39 within its range (150-200 yards).

That said I've always wanted one in 357 also.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Given your very limited parameters, I'd go with a lightly used older (pre-Remington) Marlin 336 in .30-30.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
POF ReVolt straight pull.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Given your very limited parameters, I'd go with a lightly used older (pre-Remington) Marlin 336 in .30-30.

This is what I’ve been thinking.

RB

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I've got a Mauser in the safe. I probably would hang on to that one.

I've never been a lever gun guy. Don't know why.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
A pre 1864 Mod 70 in .270.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I don’t know the purpose, but for an all purpose gun, I’d pick a Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308.

I know you said no bolt, but it’s box fed for fast reloads and it hits hard. Reloading a lever isn’t fast and carrying a bunch of ammo for one isn’t convenient.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Luckily I have both covered

Marlin 336 (30AW) in 30-30 for a lever
Tikka T3x in 270WIN for the bolt.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
lever action in .357 Mag

to match the revolvers

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd go Marlin 1894 in .44 Magnum, and get a Ruger Super Blackhawk, and S&W 629 to match it. But have you considered the Browning lever actions? I think they chamber them in some pretty good calibers (.30-06 comes to mind).

Posts: 3202 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand the OP to say He'd go for a lever-not necessarily limiting the rest of us.

I might go with a lever as well, my choice would be a Winchester 94, pre safety, in 30-30 iron sights no scope. On the other hand, I might go with a fairly light bolt action.308 with a medium power scope.

Posts: 987 | Registered: January 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I would include the .308 in your lineup. Easily found in a variety of weights and configurations, and the vehicle of choice with a lever would be the Browning BLR.

It is a much better performer at 200 yards than 30-30, accurate with buckets of energy to spare (not to mention a trajectory that doesn't have a rainbow signature), and even faster to load than a traditional side gate lever gun.

But if .308 won't make the list, a .223 BLR is available. And it would share ammo with the many 5.56/.223 rifles and pistols I DO have Big Grin

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bolt action .243 Winchester , scoped

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I got my CUT for responding to a similar question. If you can only have one, get a dreiling/drilling.

Another interesting rifle for only having one is the Blaser R8 since it has swappable calibers and a fast bolt.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23100 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
I'd choose either my 1964 Marlin 336 in .35 Rem with a 2-7 Leupold, or a late 70's Rem 700 in 30-06 with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50. Both shoot incredibly well.

Posts: 3537 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post

or 1903A3,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post