SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    You can have one non-semi rifle. What is it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can have one non-semi rifle. What is it? Login/Join 
Security Sage
Picture of striker1
posted Hide Post
I’m still looking for the ideal lever action. No gun purchases this year until we get past this latest chapter with cancer, but it’s fun looking.

I’m still liking some of the Browning offerings, especially the take-downs.

RB

Cancer fighter (Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma) since 2009, now fighting Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma.

Posts: 7133 | Location: Michiana | Registered: March 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Bolt-action in 7mm-08

Second choice would be a lever-action in 30-30

Posts: 33757 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post

Likely worth more than my entire estate at the moment, or ever for that matter.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by striker1:
I’m still looking for the ideal lever action. No gun purchases this year until we get past this latest chapter with cancer, but it’s fun looking.

I’m still liking some of the Browning offerings, especially the take-downs.

Henry is now offering one with the traditional tube together with a loading gate.

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Is a full auto considered a non-semi rifle

M16

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5705 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
For me, it'd be a Savage 10. They've plenty of aftermarket support, inexpensive, and reliable. Barrel changes are a snap, and Numrich Arms usually has some.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like my Browning BLR in .308 It handles well for me.

It has iron sights, but with a scope it would be a great long range rifle.

It is a beautiful hunk of hardwood and blue steel.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Mauser, either a real deal K98 or a Turkish clone

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I’m glad to see the 99 get a recommend on the previous page. One of those in 308 would be exactly what the OP needs.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8212 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by apprentice:

Likely worth more than my entire estate at the moment, or ever for that matter.

[drift] so does anyone know what the triangle shaped doo-dads with the wooden handles are near the locking mechanisim?

I realize that is a H&H double rifle, I'm curious as to what all the thingys are in the box.

[/drift]

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fitted screwdrivers.

Posts: 783 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
My first and still my favorite:

Browning semi-auto .22.

Posts: 15885 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hjs157:
In the event it became inconvenient to own semi-automatic rifles (and presumably standard capacity magazines) my single non-semi rifle would be the CZ 527 in 7.62x39. This rugged carbine is based upon the time honored Mauser action and accepts detachable 5-round magazines. With a weight of ~6 lbs. and a length of just over 37", the handling characteristics are superb. And as an added bonus, the chamber is cut to C.I.P. specs making it compatible with less expensive steel case ammo. It will also digest brass case SAAMI loads though CZ issues an accuracy disclaimer re: bullets with a diameter of less than .311 inches.

I’ll second the recommendation for a 527 in 7.62x39 or 300 BO.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Remington 7600 in 308. Or have it rebarreled to 338 federal. Not the most common but not oddball either. About the perfect brush gun that's not semi in my opinion.

If I recall correctly, there was an aftermarket part to convert the cross bolt safety to lefty instead of righty. But not 100 percent.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Troy PAR.

Posts: 1491 | Registered: December 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Since probably 98% of my rifles aren't semi auto, this is tough. Maybe a Ruger #1. Not real sure on caliber.

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I asked myself the same question not long ago.
I now have a Weatherby Mark V in 30/06 in my gun safe with a 2-10 powered scope to fill that void.
You can do about anything with the 30/06, all depends on your ammo choice.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:

or 1903A3,,

Winner!!!!

I would probably go with the A3 for the ease of use with the rear sight. Reliable, robust, and accurate rifles. Besides, anywhere you go you can ,more often than not, find a box of 30-06.

Posts: 4043 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
If I was limited to one rifle it would be a 308 version of an AR which I own.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post