SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Optics schmoptics. 1-6 decision and frustration.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Optics schmoptics. 1-6 decision and frustration. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Am I missing something here? Vortex Strike Eagle has illuminated BDC reticle, capped turrets and weighs 17.6 oz.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8756 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
Am I missing something here? Vortex Strike Eagle has illuminated BDC reticle, capped turrets and weighs 17.6 oz.

Bingo.

Is the Strike Eagle the fanciest LPV out there? No.
Will the webz commandos gripe because it is manufactured in China? Definitely.
Is there a little distortion around the edges of the sight picture? Yep, but the center picture is clear.
Does it get the job done? Absolutely.

I have a Strike Eagle. Not in the league of my Nightforce optics, but the lowly Strike Eagle does quite well for the carbine on which it resides.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I have looked through the Kahles. It is exceptional. I don’t think it is enough better than the Razor to justify the cost. Unless weight is a BIG factor.

I have looked through most of the 1-6 optics discussed in this thread. I vote Razor, but I think you would be satisfied with the 1-5 Steiner at a lower price point and lower weight.

Dang IB, what’s the eye relief on the vortex? That’s almost a scout mount. Do you get up on it prone? Is it that forgiving?

It is that forgiving. I actually wish I had a bit more eye relief on the mount for the Steiner as well.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
The Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6 has great eye relief and eye box as well. It's so easy to get behind its crazy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:

Strike eagles and PAcare cool scopes for the price but I’m wanting some crystal. The SE was real fuzzy on the one I shot. Not crazy about hooded reticles. I tend to put the top of the hood on target if I’m pulling up the rifle. I know it’s minor recorrection but it irked me. Not crazy about nightforce reticles either so it’s not a money thing.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
The Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6 has great eye relief and eye box as well. It's so easy to get behind its crazy.

You know if they had the JM1 in the Viper it would be a no brainer.
Decisions...

BTW..Santa Rosa shooting center is putting in a 200 and 300 yard bay with steel plates. Supposed to start this winter.

TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
BTW..Santa Rosa shooting center is putting in a 200 and 300 yard bay with steel plates. Supposed to start this winter.

Yeah, not a fan of the RSO-Nazis that used to inhabit that place and maybe still do, especially when I had to point out they were committing a felony by creating a firearms registry of NFA owners (they were demanding copies of Form 1/4s and keeping them - I told them to fuck off).

That and the bubba gump 1 round every 3 seconds, Spanish inquisition of NFA item shooters every 10 minutes - I'll never set foot in there again and I lay on the horn every time I drive by the place. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Yeah, not a fan of the RSO-Nazis that used to inhabit that place and maybe still do, especially when I had to point out they were committing a felony by creating a firearms registry of NFA owners (they were demanding copies of Form 1/4s and keeping them - I told them to fuck off).

That and the bubba gump 1 round every 3 seconds, Spanish inquisition of NFA item shooters every 10 minutes - I'll never set foot in there again and I lay on the horn every time I drive by the place. Wink

They fixed all that. Pretty cool place now.

TCB all the time...

Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You know if they had the JM1 in the Viper it would be a no brainer.
Decisions...

I heard on a podcast with a Vortex employee that the PST may have the JM1 as an option soon.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
The Vortex Razor certainly helps rapidly engage targets near and far.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wP8m0h7R2jA

Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by onpointgun:
VX6 Multigun

I like my VX6 multigun.

Like I said it took me time to find mine but when I did I picked it up for $700

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at the SWFA 1-6? I have one on an AR15 and just use the hash Mark's for holdovers. It's a little heavy at 22 oz. If you can hold off until Thanksgiving, SWFA typically puts them on sale for several hundred $$ off.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I have a Leupold Mk 6 1-6X24 scope and really dislike the pinch turret caps and the unforgiving eye box. If I had it to do over I'd look else where,

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Ok so I ordered a Razor HD Gen 2 old model JM1 From eurooptic for $949.00. This is the heavy version. I have a heavy stainless barrel AR that is a pig anyway. I’m not worried about weight on this one. It’s not the one I’m going to bounce down the trail with. It will be on a bench or a bipod.

If it’s as good as they say, I may get the E version for my lighter weight rifle. They have the same grip, safety, trigger. One is just about 1.5 lbs lighter than the Other. If I’m not blown away, I still may go with the VX6 HD BDC at about 15 oz.

I’ll put this one through the ringer and see what I think.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
The SS 1-6x24 would be a good choice.

https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-1-...30mm-riflescope.html

Posts: 875 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: May 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ordered a Razor HD Gen 2 old model JM1

The Razor has good glass and is built like a tank. I've shot a couple of carbines that have them, and looked through a few more Razors in stores.

The only issue I have with the Razor is the narrow width of the reticle's hold over subtensions. The 3 gun guys who shoot the Razors generally state they don't have issues with the subtensions, but I find them hard to see when the target background is dark or includes lines. Thus, I struggled when shooting at unpainted steel or targets which have branches nearby.

Razor's subtension widths:
2.8 MOA -- 300 yard holdover, assuming zero at 50/500 yards
2.1 MOA -- 400 yard holdover
1.7 MOA -- 500 yard
1.4 MOA -- 600 yard

By comparison, the Vortex Strike Eagle's subtention widths:
6 MOA -- 300 yard holdover, assuming zero at 50/500 yards
4.5 MOA -- 400 yard holdover
3.6 MOA -- 500 yard
3 MOA -- 600 yard

There's no question that the Razor has superior glass. IMO the Strike Eagle's reticle is easier to use for holdovers, as its reticle subtensions are twice as wide

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yeah you would think that the 3 gunners would like illuminated sub tens for holdover at least on the top of the line. I’ve seen mil and moa illuminated complete reticles but the were awfully busy for runnin and gunnin.

TCB all the time...

Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, not a fan of the RSO-Nazis that used to inhabit that place and maybe still do, especially when I had to point out they were committing a felony by creating a firearms registry of NFA owners (they were demanding copies of Form 1/4s and keeping them . . .
What statute, Fed or state, do you think they were violating?

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Yeah, not a fan of the RSO-Nazis that used to inhabit that place and maybe still do, especially when I had to point out they were committing a felony by creating a firearms registry of NFA owners (they were demanding copies of Form 1/4s and keeping them . . .
What statute, Fed or state, do you think they were violating?

At one time it was county owned. In Florida, it is illegal for a gov agency to maintain a registry of gun owners.

TCB all the time...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah you would think that the 3 gunners would like illuminated sub tens for holdover at least on the top of the line.

I haven't shot with illumination during full daylight. For me it's not the illumination, but rather the bolder and wider subtentions that make a retical such as the Strike Eagle's easier to use for hold overs than the JM1.