SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cincinnati: SWAT sniper stops semi with shots from 50 cal
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cincinnati: SWAT sniper stops semi with shots from 50 cal Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
My advice to anyone thinking of disabling a motor vehicle with gunfire would be to consult with someone familiar with the exact vehicle and to examine one oneself. That of course wouldn’t be possible in many situations.

*ring ring* "Mack Trucks, may I help you?"

"Yeah, this is Officer Smith with the Cincinnati Police. If I had to disable one of your 18 wheelers, where would be the best place to shoot it? Figure a 35 degree downward angle from a 20 foot overhead position, with the truck travelling at roughly 80 MPH towards me head-on. I need the answer ASAP. You can text me a diagram if needed."

"Uh... Hold please."

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
If I were a Cop I'd have a listing of the location of the engine control ECU for every common vehicle line in my squad just to provide a reference of where to shoot to instantly disable a vehicle.

That's going to be one magic BB on a moving vehicle with deflection from the body.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
The motor vehicle equivalent of "shoot 'em in the leg."

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
[W]hile the brass sat on their thumbs before letting the big boys to their thing.

I have read numerous accounts of incidents involving law enforcement snipers, and it’s surprisingly (to me) common for supervisors to delay action being taken, including terminating shots. Based on my research killing an engine even with a 50 BMG isn’t that easy or guaranteed. At some point the decision should have been made that the subject himself was who warranted stopping by direct action.

While I don't have any faith in the article as an accurate timeline of events, it seems that there was copious amounts of time to take many other actions, lethal or otherwise against the subject.
Shooting the truck was asinine. If you have a shot on the engine, you very likely have a shot on the driver. If he's kidnapped ex-wife, threatened to kill her & had weapon, swerved at officers, he's ticked all the boxes to be killified.
I suspect the indecision was rooted well before this incident. I wouldn't want to be a police office in that situation, knowing I would be 2nd guessed before the investigation was started, let alone completed.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This link has basically the same article but several photos. None show the shooting but they may answer some questions.

https://www.policeone.com/susp...-44a3cfc507-42625147

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
at least they didn’t shoot another gorilla this time Big Grin

Posts: 3369 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
at least they didn’t shoot another gorilla this time Big Grin

Too soon! lol

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Volvo. A lil above 19,000 pounds. Big hole through the radiator and a sensor will shut it down due to coolant loss. Commercial drivers get more professional every year.

Posts: 17891 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This has another photo and lots of info on the BG, but no more details on the shooting:

https://www.cincinnati.com/sto...son-time/5471071002/

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Really? 50-60 mph........in reverse.......in a truck tractor. Really?

Well it was the first 5,000 pound tractor, so pretty nimble I guess.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Really? 50-60 mph........in reverse.......in a truck tractor. Really?

Well it was the first 5,000 pound tractor, so pretty nimble I guess.

The Volvo VN tractor he had will likely not do 50-60mph in reverse unless he did some very unique things in the aftermarket. More in the order of 5-8mph. Not to mention any small steering movements at those speeds would put him in a spin.
The transmission reverse gear is anywhere from -13.7 to -37.5 ratio (more likely the 1st without crawler gears). He also likely had something around a 2.3-3.1 ratio rear end if he was running around the interstate and the engine governs out at 2100-2200 RPM. Gearheads will quickly come to the conclusion of BS.
The comments about the coolant level sensor disabling the engine are likely correct. You want to disable a modern vehicle....blow the cooling circuit and wait.

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I helped out at one of the regional FBI sniper schools back in the day. It was taught then that the only way to disable the vehicle 100 percent was to shoot the driver. I think that it is the best course of action to this day. Are their risks? Yep. But, there are risks with shooting ANYPLACE on a moving piece of heavy equipment.

I wish I still had it, but I used to have a video that was produced by DEA called "Bullets and Beliefs". They drove a car onto a 360 range and filled it full of holes with everything in the LE arsenal circa 2000. They then got in the car and drove it off the range. Engine took multiple hits, all the tires were flat, leaking all the fluids. And they drove it off.

I've been in a situation like this before. The only other answer is to get a clear shot on the driver, and put as many bonded 5.56s through the windshield as you can.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
...I wish I still had it, but I used to have a video that was produced by DEA called "Bullets and Beliefs". They drove a car onto a 360 range and filled it full of holes with everything in the LE arsenal circa 2000. They then got in the car and drove it off the range. Engine took multiple hits, all the tires were flat, leaking all the fluids. And they drove it off...

Maybe you can get a copy here:
www.DEA.gov/Freedom-Information-Act

If you do, I wanna watch it!!!

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I would love to see that DEA video as well.

But until then, Demolition Ranch has a video of trying to stop the engine of a sedan with 50 BMG fire; not as effective as one would think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcUO4y9d1dg

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of huskerlrrp
posted Hide Post
Here's the dash cam video from a pursuing officer. Besides low coolant disabling the engine (newer models), engine or transmission oil levels, the urea/adblu tank could be compromised and the vehicle will be significantly de-rated after a short while. The urea tank could be compromised with a handgun/shotgun with buckshot or rifle. Maybe I should start teaching classes to LEO how to disable trucks the way truckers do everyday minding their own business Smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?.../watch?v=cnIz_5QtS8I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnIz_5QtS8I

Posts: 1788 | Location: North Cackalacky | Registered: September 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Does the dash cam show when the truck was shot?

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
I watched it real time from several different cameras in the area. It was fun, unless you were out there on the ground

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post