SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Garand - Look For Original or CMP New?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand - Look For Original or CMP New? Login/Join 
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted
I'm desperately wanting to add a Garand to my collection.

Right now, I have a Mosin, K31, new production Thompson, and M1 Carbine.

Would it be better to grab a Service grade ($750) or Special (new parts) grade M1 ($1,050) from CMP or pay the extra for a correct WWII model (around $1000-1300)?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Weird, its like you are in my head! Linky

I'll be happy to share pics when I get my rifles since I did the $750 Spring/H&R service grade route.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Depends if you care about it being a Collector Rifle or a Great Shooter. I have bought both SA and WRA's special grades with new barrels and they are "Tack Drivers" My older SA with barrel from 1944 shoots good, but nothing like the ones with new barrels. Matches are now allowing the new barrels to compete.

You can't go wrong either way.

Good Luck

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, pretty much what redlickranch said.

If you want it to be more historical, get an original from the CMP. The Service Grade is the best bang for the buck in this regard.

If it you want it to be the best shooter possible, get a CMP Special rebuild.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
If you're after a shooter, I don't think you can do better than a CMP special. I'm extremely pleased with mine. They're pretty much good as new!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You need to look deeper into the meaning of "correct", don't mistake that for "original".

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with cas very very few original as first from the factory rifles out there.
Recently a new CMP special is out- Philippines return pitted receivers with new barrels, $650 I think. If I was going to buy yet another 30-06 M1 this would be a great option for a shooter. Most CMP descriptions are conservative and condition is generally better than expected

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Service grade is the way to go. The correct models are a significant price increase for little gain. They are still mixed parts guns but just from within the same age range.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for the input. I was mainly concerned Service grade would still be pretty rough. I'll give it a go!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had given up finding a decent M1 Garand. Last bunch of shows I had been to, as well as private listings were $1200+ in my area. For once though, I was in a (semi) right place at the right time. I walked into a shop I rarely go to, just to check if they had any upcoming gun raffle tickets for sale, and up on the wall was a nicely finished M1. I figured that the stock was refinished, and this shop is well known for being on the high side of high prices, so I wasn't expecting much. Turns out the store armorer had just purchased a Barrett 50 cal. and was selling off some of his guns to offset the cost of the Barrett.

Checked out the receiver, Springfield in the 1.8M range, dated to August of 1943. The bolt was correct as well for the period. The barrel was a later year Springfield, but there was no pitting on any of the metal parts, just some light wear. When they told me the price, I couldn't say yes fast enough. It was several hundred dollars under the dirty and worn or mix master stuff I had seen recently, and really just looked as if it had been cared for pretty well.

One thing led to another and I just ended up getting it last week, but it had been on hold since January. Issues with the store and its FFL. Topic of a completely other thread. But anyway, I have 100 rounds of CMP 30-06 150 grain, but no clips yet. LOL.

Anyway, relative to the OP, I have been to Camp Perry once and I was going to go back there and just buy a Service Grade, hoping for some advice from the staff there if possible. Nice thing is that if they have the time, they are incredibly accommodating and willing to help with the guns on the racks. All of the guns have muzzle and throat erosion markings as well. So if you are looking for a shooter, you should be able to find something that you want. As the selection is really getting short there, the best two options are definitely what the guys here have told you. If you are going to shoot in M1 or Service rifle competitions, and the new barrels are permitted, I would go for the CMP refurb with the Criterion barrel and new stock. If you are more into surplus/issued, then the Service Grade will give you the best shot of getting something nice. I have never been to Anniston, but that depot is supposed to be three or four times larger than Camp Perry. Camp Perry is really a lot smaller than I expected, as far as the CMP store. I had pretty much given up hope, but maybe some good karma finally. Smile Good Luck!!

Posts: 212 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I just mailed out my order! I ordered a RM1SERVICE. Hopefully, I get a Springfield.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Picture of barry1967
posted Hide Post
I was lucky enough a few years ago to get 3 refinished receivers from the CMP at a really good price. No pitting and all Springfields. Some day I hope to build 1 or 2 into a nice shooter.

More than a few, less than others!

Posts: 1199 | Location: Rhode Island | Registered: June 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
I just mailed out my order! I ordered a RM1SERVICE. Hopefully, I get a Springfield.

Hopefully this virus stuff calms down and you don't have to wait 6 months to get it. Wait time was about 30 days before things started shutting down. Good time to look for ammo and clips.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim Bridger
posted Hide Post
I am not a gun collector. But I am very weak when faced with new gun additions to my "Cave". The M-1 Garands are fantastic rifles. May years ago I was a serious Military shooter. When my life moved on I was allowed my two Garands and a 1903A3. The M-1 is amazing at 1,000 Meters on iron.

Posts: 54 | Registered: March 14, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Found an old ad that had $429 Garands. Well over 10 years ago, but crazy how cheap they were at one time. I got one and the bullet when you would put it into the end of the barrel would touch the brass case. These were shot out.

NRA Life Member

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Found an old ad that had $429 Garands. Well over 10 years ago, but crazy how cheap they were at one time. I got one and the bullet when you would put it into the end of the barrel would touch the brass case. These were shot out.

or damaged from cleaning,

lots of the wear on the muzzle is from over aggressive cleaning w/ the steel rods,

I've seen a couple over the years were the muzzle was a bit oval, (worn)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:

or damaged from cleaning,

lots of the wear on the muzzle is from over aggressive cleaning w/ the steel rods,

I've seen a couple over the years were the muzzle was a bit oval, (worn)

I've seen a number of Garand barrels (and '03, 1917 and Carbine) that would swallow my Ted Brown muzzle gauge to the knurled handle without even a hint of contact with the bore. Most were import marked, but not all of them. Tomato stakes all. Mostly with a premium price attached....

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M1Garandy,

Posts: 920 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I remember seeing maybe 50 of them, all standing up in a barrel in a hardware store (that sold fishing equipment, guns, etc. etc.) in Burnesville, NC when I was around 10 years old for $35 a piece.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is not a CMP ad. Those were likely Blue Sky imports sold commercially.
quote:

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:

Hopefully this virus stuff calms down and you don't have to wait 6 months to get it. Wait time was about 30 days before things started shutting down. Good time to look for ammo and clips.

You're joking right? Ammo is either unavailable or priced like weapons grade plutonium everywhere I've been looking.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post