SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    M1 Garand - Look For Original or CMP New?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M1 Garand - Look For Original or CMP New? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
That is not a CMP ad. Those were likely Blue Sky imports sold commercially.
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Found an old ad that had $429 Garands. Well over 10 years ago, but crazy how cheap they were at one time. I got one and the bullet when you would put it into the end of the barrel would touch the brass case. These were shot out.

Not a Blue Sky ad either. Gun place out of Ohio. Can’t remember the name of it. These were coming in about the same time as the CMP was finishing up selling every Dane return and the Greek returns were coming in.

I must have the only Blue Sky that has a decent barrel!!!! I have a Winchester mixmaster that has an absolute mint barrel that is Blue Sky marked. The thing shoots tight groups.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what ammo prices were before the pandemic, but found this place on the CMP website.
This is just one offering Ammogarand has.

https://www.ammogarand.com/30m215fmjbap2.html

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The other big seller of commercially imported M1 Garands was Century Arms International. And those were bottom of the barrel rebuilt guns from Korea.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 357fuzz:
quote:
Originally posted by Fundman:
That is not a CMP ad. Those were likely Blue Sky imports sold commercially.
quote:
Originally posted by redlickranch:
Found an old ad that had $429 Garands. Well over 10 years ago, but crazy how cheap they were at one time. I got one and the bullet when you would put it into the end of the barrel would touch the brass case. These were shot out.

Not a Blue Sky ad either. Gun place out of Ohio. Can’t remember the name of it. These were coming in about the same time as the CMP was finishing up selling every Dane return and the Greek returns were coming in.

I must have the only Blue Sky that has a decent barrel!!!! I have a Winchester mixmaster that has an absolute mint barrel that is Blue Sky marked. The thing shoots tight groups.

Southern Ohio Gun possibly?

Posts: 921 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's SOG. I recognize the ad format.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That’s it!!! SOG.

Posts: 4055 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
"You're joking right? Ammo is either unavailable or priced like weapons grade plutonium everywhere I've been looking"

I have seen some new commercial stuff out there for $25 for 20 rounds.
Winchester WWII Victory Series 30-06 150 Grain Ball Ammunition X3006WW2

But I have also seen on local boards ammo still in the green cans for sale around $.80 per round. You can also pick up GI Clips in the CMP forums.

Also just got an email that my Garand is being shipped. CMP must have just closed the store front and are still working behind the closed doors. Hope to have my new baby next week.

Shot my Winchester Special Grade yesterday and it ran like a top.

"SOG"
I think SOG was the place and they were nice enough to take the Garand back since it was not safe to shoot per my Smith. I do remember it having an import mark on it, but couldn't remember what it read. Those guns were ROUGH...

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Blue Sky imports have a reputation for poor condition barrels for two reasons:

A) Their Garands and Carbines came from South Korea, and were Korea's "bottom of the barrel" reserve rifles that had been "rode hard and put up wet". They were nearly all extremely well-worn.

B) The folks at Blue Sky were overzealous in heavily stamping their import mark on improperly supported barrels, and actually managed to bend barrels and even warp some barrels out of round. (This issue is more prevalent with their imported Carbines.)

Blue Sky ended up with such a poor reputation that they actually changed their name, and continued in business as Arlington Ordnance.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

Blue Sky imports have a reputation for poor condition barrels for two reasons:

A) Their Garands and Carbines came from South Korea, and were Korea's "bottom of the barrel" reserve rifles that had been "rode hard and put up wet". They were nearly all extremely well-worn.

B) The folks at Blue Sky were overzealous in heavily stamping their import mark on improperly supported barrels, and actually managed to bend barrels and even warp some barrels out of round. (This issue is more prevalent with their imported Carbines.)

Blue Sky ended up with such a poor reputation that they actually changed their name, and continued in business as Arlington Ordnance.

my understanding was they were 2 branches of the same company,

the heavily refinished, (gray park, dark nitrate internals, and yuge deeply struck import banner) were Blue Sky

anything somewhat decent was imported as Arlington Ord, and usually not refinished

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Same company, but they were not operating under both names at the same time with different "grades" of rifles as suggested. It was Blue Sky in the early/mid 1980s, and then changed to Arlington Ordnance in the late 1980s/early 1990s.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
One time many years back, I bumped into a Golden State Arms Garand. Not knowing any better, I didnt buy it. Seen a bunch of the Blue Sky rifles.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Where is the best place to get ammo for the Garand? I rather get some in even though it will be a few months before I receive the rifle.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
Shows some in stock at SGAMMO

https://www.sgammo.com/product...1-garand-ammo-pp3006

500 Round Can of 30-06 Springfield FMJ 150 grain Prvi Partizan M1 Garand Ammo for sale

Factory SKU number PP3006GMC $339.50 + $16 for shipping 11 Cans in stock right now per site.

New Ammo in Mil-spec packaging. Brass Case, Boxer Primed, Non-corrosive, packed in an ammo can. This .30-06 Springfield caliber load has been made to similar specs as the original 30-06 M2 Ball load specifications. This is achieved by a slight reduction of operating pressure making this ammo safe for us in M1 Garand rifles reducing the risk of bent operating rods or more significant damage that can occur when using a full power 30-06 hunting cartridge. Buying into this fine ammo for your prized M1 Garand rifle also assures you new ammo quality, non-corrosive boxer primers, reloadable brass all at a low price per round that makes shooing affordable. Why trust questionable military surplus 30-06 ammo that is old and has been kept in unknown conditions for decades when you can get brand new ammo made for the .30 cal M1 Garand rifle for about the same price?

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you!!!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zeme05
posted Hide Post
About 10 years ago my son's best friend was going back home I think South Carolina. He went by the CMP armory and picked up a rifle for me, my son and himself. I just wanted a good shooter and the rifle I got was an H&R '52. It is a beautiful gun, grade above service grade. I think I paid $675 anyway new wood,great barrel and nice new park finish. Armoier tore mine down and said it had a Winchester trigger group that he should have cost more but he let it go. Anyway great shooter, don't know what is still available but you better jump on it cause they aren't making any more.

Posts: 1375 | Location: West Texas | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The absolute correct answer to feeding a garand long term is reloading. Cases last a very long time ( my brother who is much more ocd than me has a marking system for how many times he has reloaded a case, and some of his match brass for the M1 is at 20+ times fired.
Reloading is simple easy and very cost effective on a simple single stage press. Easy to reload M1 ammo ( plenty of garand specific load data out there) for about the same price as a factory .223 or a bit less

Posts: 3291 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post