SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Help me build my 1st SBR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help me build my 1st SBR Login/Join 
posted
I am currently building my first SBR and need some help figuring out the build as well as figuring out the paperwork and engraving.

I decided that I want to do a 300 BLK with an 8.5”-9” barrel. The main reason I picked that length is because not to far down the road I will be adding a suppressor. Let me know if anything doesn’t sound like a good idea. If there are any known deals on what I need Monday, let me know Smile

What I have already:
Lower Parts Kit (less trigger and grip)
Geissele SSA-E
Hogue AR15 Grip

What I want to buy: unless you guys say otherwise
Spikes Stripped Lower - best place to buy?
Magpul Stock

What I need help with:
Pretty much the entire upper: can I get the upper stuff for around $500-$600 total? Any good completed upper options?
BCG - any brands/coatings better than others?
Charging Handle
Upper/barrel/hand guard - as mention, 8.5” and I want to be able to add a suppressor down the road. I also will be putting an Eotech that I already own and a foregrip.

buffer Tube/Spring - since I want to eventually suppress, are those silent springs worth it? What brand?

Engraving the lower - where to send? Do this BEFORE doing the paperwork with BATF? Maybe even send directly to the engraver from the factory? Someone actually told me if I am not going to sell it, I didn’t need to do it. That doesn’t sound right.

I was told doing the SBR online was the best method.

Thanks everyone for your help! Can’t wait to see what you suggest.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: hunter62,

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Buy a Colt 6933 Commando lower. Factory SBR, no engraving necessary.
While you're waiting for the stamp, you will have 9 months to figure out what parts you want for the upper. Just decide on caliber and barrel length so you can list them on the application.
Easy.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
With electronic Form 1s coming back in as little as 11 days right now the attractiveness of building your own is real.

Any quality lower will work, Spikes would be a fine choice. You can engrave before or after the stamp arrives, it’s just up to you. Ident is who I used for all my engravings. They’re local to me now, but when I did all my Form 1s we were still in MO and yet I still brought them down here. Their work is top notch. (Edited to add: I found these guys up in Dyersburg, watched a couple of their videos on YouTube and they look pretty good.)

If you intend to suppress the gun down the road I would say that yes the captured spring is worth it. Once you’re shooting 300 BLK subs suppressed you’ll really notice the bounce and twang coming from your buffer spring. I run several of the JP springs in my SBRs and they make a noticeable difference.

As for the uppers there are a lot out there. You should easily be able to do it within you’re budget. Another local company (to me) that I’ve had good luck with is DSG Arms, check out their 300BLK uppers. Many of these come with the BCM rails of which I’m a big fan or the Geissele rail. I’d also suggest a nickel boron coated BCG, makes for much easier cleanup as the crud is less prone to sticking to the surface.

Whatever buttstock you like will also work, you’re not married to it so you can swap at will.

As info, my 8.5” 300 BLK with a Magpul CTR stock measures 28.25” OAL.

Hope that helps. Sounds like you’ve got most of the lower build covered, obviously this is the hardest part of the process beyond actually filing the Form 1. Once you’ve got that stamp in hand you can swap uppers to your hearts content. A short .22 upper is a lot of cheap fun.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SigM4 - Sorry for my question and do not mean to derail this thread but when are Electronic Form 1’s coming back?

I ask because this is how I managed by SBR registrations (notice the “s” on registration) and it was super easy and fast....Now I am excited because I wanted to SBR a Ruger 10/22 receiver but ran out of funds....Thanks. Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
E-Forms is back online for Form 1s. See here for updates on the process since you (and I) probably last used them.

Reports of 11 day turn arounds from submitted to stamp in hand are not unusual. Really makes the idea of spending $200 more attractive again.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sir - I also appreciate the link....Last time I filed was about 30 days before they announced that it was going away and the turn around time for the three I filed then was averaging about 30-35 days.....Time to get started on my 10/22 filing....Thanks again...Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I built this upper using the following:

1. Ballistic Advantage 8.3” Hanson Series Barrel
(comes with pinned gas block installed)

2. Aero Precision Upper
3. Aero Precision Rail
4. Spikes pistol length gas tube
5. ToolCraft Black Nitride BCG
6. Leupold VXR Patrol with Larue Mount
7. KAK Linear Comp
8. SWR Trident 9 (for suppressed use)

GraniteRidge has a great sale on all the items right now. It is a very accurate ultra reliable upper

My lower is a SBR RRA with Larue MBT Trigger.

50yd groups with my handloads that I was testing. Each group was 5 shots. The bottom group is Hornady 110gr VMAX and my new hunting/Home Defense load.

Posts: 1100 | Location: Orange Park, FL. | Registered: November 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone have feedback on Bravo Company? Was looking at this upper group.

BCM 300 BLK

I am also still having search overload on a BCG, seems the same one can have tons of 5 stars and 1 stars...not sure I want to spring for the Nickel Boron coating.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I got one of the $300 8.5” PSA nitride 300blk complete uppers. No issues. Suppressed or unsuppressed. Even did a fullauto mag dump to see how hot my suppressor got.
No issues. Using a Sandman-K on one of my work issued lowers.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:
Anyone have feedback on Bravo Company? Was looking at this upper group.

BCM 300 BLK

I am also still having search overload on a BCG, seems the same one can have tons of 5 stars and 1 stars...not sure I want to spring for the Nickel Boron coating.

Bravo Company is good to go. I have an 11.5” BCM rifle that I’ve been thoroughly pleased with.

Complacency sucks…

Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hunter62:

I've been pleased with the black nitride finish ToolCraft BCGs I have purchased and used from Arm Or Ally (former Monmouth Reloading)...per their description the ToolCraft BCG sold by them has the finish applied by ToolCraft themselves rather than a third party...I'm not sure that really matters in the real world, but the finish is very slick...

https://www.armorally.com/shop..._bolt_carrier_group/

https://www.armorally.com/shop...ft-nickel-boron-bcg/

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post