SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    To cut or not to cut, that is the question re: SBRing my SCAR 17
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

To cut or not to cut, that is the question re: SBRing my SCAR 17 Login/Join 
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted
Looking for advice on SBRing my SCAR 17. Why? Because I've loved the look of RHINO's and now that have one I must copy. So: option one, have mine cut down. Option two: get factory 13" barrel.

Thoughts? Money IS an object as if it weren't I just plunk down the $1k for the factory and be done. But $1k is about 1,500 bullets (ish) and it seems cutting barrel down is lots cheaper. But: Sweet Christmas I'm having my 1300 barrel cut down!!! WTF was I thinking??!

So: thoughts?

And if cutting down is recommended, where do you recommend I have it done?

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
Buy the factory barrel. You'll be able to swap later back to a 16 if you want or had to. Plus no risk of the chrome lining chipping since it wasnt cut.

I wish they'd sell the 17 with a 18 or 20 inch barrel instead of 16 or at least as an option. Having a 13 and 20 inch barrel would be a bit more ideal.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
No cut, buy another barrel.

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
What kind of shooting do you do / plan to do?

If the SCAR isn't a weapon you'll be shooting beyond 400M, I would have Marvin Pitts cut it for $150-200.

Because once you do, you'll never want the 16" barrel in it.

But if $$$ is no object, just buy an OEM 13". When I did mine, they weren't out yet, so I really didn't have a choice, but looking back the 16" would just be taking up space in the closet.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:

I wish they'd sell the 17 with a 18 or 20 inch barrel instead of 16 or at least as an option. Having a 13 and 20 inch barrel would be a bit more ideal.
Midwest Gun Works had OEM 20" barrels a month or two ago. Probably all sold out but might be worth a call if you're really interested.

posted Hide Post
Don't forget the gas screw size may need to be changed I thought about cutting my barrel but will instead get the factory barrel.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kilyung,

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
Definitely buy the factory barrel, it's what I did. If you ever need to travel out of state with the SCAR, and you don't have your 5320.20 form approved in time, you can swap in the 16" barrel and be free of those restrictions if you leave the 13" barrel at home.

I've seen some threads lately about FN being sticklers about warranty coverage. If I ever had to send mine back in I would probably put the 16" barrel back on it first.

My OEM 13" barrel was pretty overgassed from the factory. So it would be worth also buying some various sizes of gas control screws from MGW when you get the barrel. That way you can fine tune it yourself.

On the 13" 17S barrel it came with a 1.65, now running a 1.5. Recoil is greatly reduced with and w/out a suppressor.

My 10" OEM 16S barrel was also very overgassed with a 2.00 gas screw. Now running a 1.80 and it's much better.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Character, above all else
Picture of Tailhook 84
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith: But: Sweet Christmas I'm having my 1300 barrel cut down!!! WTF was I thinking??!

I'm asking myself the same thing: WTF?? Brett B has some good advice above. If you have any regrets or need for a "legal" barrel later you'll have to buy a new 16" barrel anyway to fix that remorse.

Hey, just because RHINOWSO cuts off 3 inches of his barrel ("so to speak") doesn't mean we all should! Big Grin

"The Truth, when first uttered, is always considered heresy."

Posts: 2541 | Location: West of Fort Worth | Registered: March 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jac1304
posted Hide Post
Whatever happened to FN MK20 SSR? Sorry for a little thread drift.

Posts: 908 | Location: Snohomish, WA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
RHINO, you didn't/don't have any fear of chipping via cutting? Because $ is DEFINITELY an object and I don't really plan on 400+ yard shooting with it and I don't really plan on out of state travel with it either. I've anyways had this . . . thing for a 11" DSA Fal. But I picked one up once at a show and damn near herniated myself. The SCAR feels like NERF gun even full size.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Posts: 1952 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, OEM barrels weren't available when my Form 1s came back on my SCARs. It was the "they are coming soon" and had been for about a year, so I said to heck with it, Marvin my Man, chop them.

He did my SCAR 16 first, had him go to 10.5", so it's longer than OEM. Work was great, concentric, no loss of accuracy. I had to put a new GCS (Gas Control Screw) in to get the system operating correctly, but that is part of the deal.

Next was the SCAR 17. Went to 13" and results were the same as with my 16. Great accuracy, no issues.

Both rifles have over 3K through them, at least 2K since getting chopped. With my 17, I shot just shy of 1K rounds, all SBR'ed, most of it suppressed, over 9 months. Added lube "occasionally", just squirted remmy oil on the bolt, maybe every other / third range trip. Never failed me one.

There are benefits to having the 16" barrel - if I lived in another state where I could easily shoot / hunt beyond a couple hundred yards, it might be nice to have it.

Then there is the NFA thing, if you're traveling out of state and aren't competent to have 5320.20s on file, you can put the 16.5" barrel in. But you have to swap the barrel and rezero (different barrel length - different velocity - etc) - and if you have an aftermarket rail system (like the KDG MREX), you'll have to swap that or go back to the OEM rail (which I dislike). So it's sorta easy but not super easy all said and done.

I have had my SCAR 17 SBR'ed for almost 4 years and not once have I thought "DAMN, I wish I had the 16" barrel".

If barrels were $500, it would be a no brainier - even $750. But its a cool $1100. That is a lot of ammo, a nice new optic for a weapon, etc.

Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Thanks RHINO. Appreciate that insight.

posted Hide Post
I personally would buy a new barrel now that you can get them. A cut barrel is pretty much yours, a factory barrel is a commodity. But if I was to have it cut I would have Marvin or Jarod (of PMM) do the work.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post