SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    NFA Items and Caliber Swapping?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFA Items and Caliber Swapping? Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone happen to know why some platforms can be registered in one caliber yet swap pieces to shoot other calibers (M16, SBR AR-15) while others are registered for multiple calibers (HK sear, UZI)? Are there features of certain models that require multiple caliber registration on the Form 4?

Thank you!

Evaluating volume of fire vs. shot placement effectiveness.

Posts: 668 | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
It's my understanding you can swap at will, same as changing the barrel length after initial registration.

I do know putting "Multi" on the form gets them kicked back.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
At least in the case of the sear, I'm guessing because it may be because the piece being registered doesn't have an inherient caliber. When registering a AR lower for instance, you have to give certain characteristics of the rifle (length being one of them along with caliber). While it's arguable that it's just a lower, and as such doesn't have a length/caliber independent of an upper, that's what the form says.

The sear might be seen (in the eyes of the law) as something that will knowingly be swapped around. You and I know that the lower will do much the same, but the law doesn't always keep pace with current capabilities.

Anyhow, that's my uneducated guess. Would be interested to hear from someone that's more in-the-know on the matter.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
BATFE used to allow you to register your NFA item as "multi."

Then we got told that "Multi" is not a caliber. So you couldn't use "multi" on your form 1/form 4.

[This confused folks for a while because some manufacturers started putting "multi" as the caliber marking on their lowers.]

Unless it's changed, you should register your item in its primary caliber. That is, if you intend to shoot your SBR mostly as a 5.56, then register it as a 5.56.

That does not keep you from shooting .300 BLK or 9mm, etc. As long as you can put it back in the configuration it was originally registered in (bbl length, caliber, etc) you are fine (i.e. you have the parts for the original configuration). If you permanently change the configuration (e.g. you sell off the original upper and don't have another one that fits that configuration) then you should update your registration to reflect the new configuration.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Going from memory. But I think as long as it can be easily converted back to original configuration. It's fine.

If permanently changed I believe the ATF recommends you notify them.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8851 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post