SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    American Rifleman TV- Marlin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Rifleman TV- Marlin Login/Join 
posted
I just watched a segment of American Rifleman TV about Marlin rifle manufacturing. They mainly talked about the problems in the transition to Ilion and the quality control steps they've taken to correct them.

They obviously know they had a serious quality and PR problem. So...........is it safe to buy one yet?

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A few years back, I bought a Marlin 1895 GSBL. I put a Skinner Ghost ring on it and a Wild West trigger on it. It's amazing. The original trigger was not bad but the Wild West was a huge improvement. Very accurate ... and just a beast to shoot.

Posts: 499 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: March 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 336bl right after the transition. I heard horrible things about them and the quality. But mine has been spot on with zero issues. I must admit the pressed checkered stock / grip could be a little better, but all in all I’m very pleased.

Posts: 286 | Location: Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The recent guns seem to have the quality back. I don't think I'd be afraid to buy a new one.

Posts: 934 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My 336 (actually a 30AW) is from around 1998. A few years ago, when the NRA convention rolled through Houston, the Marlins on display had a much lesser quality feel to them by comparison.

The actions were rougher & the wood more plasticky. Haven't checked out any recent production, so can't say for the new stuff.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
As long as true JM guns can still be had for less than those produced by Remarlington, I won’t be buying anything from Remington any more than Han I’d buy anything else they produce. I wish nothing but luck to anyone that chooses to.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
There's an old saw about saying something nice or not saying anything at all:

So, from first-hand experience, I think the old JM stamped Marlins from the 60s, 70s, and even 80s are very nice rifles. . . . and that's all I have to say about that.

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the JMs from the 60s are great. I have my dad's 336c. I'm wondering about the late JM era, though. I'm guessing the worn out tooling and disgruntled workers started somewhat before the Remington buyout. If that's the case, a late JM may be no better (or even worse) than a current model. I don't think there is much doubt that early Remington Marlins were probably the worst of all.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
I know the JMs from the 60s are great. I have my dad's 336c. I'm wondering about the late JM era, though. I'm guessing the worn out tooling and disgruntled workers started somewhat before the Remington buyout. If that's the case, a late JM may be no better (or even worse) than a current model. I don't think there is much doubt that early Remington Marlins were probably the worst of all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My JM SBL was an absolute disaster. I ended up having Ranger Point Precision work on it and now it is smooth and accurate. Before, RPP? Even the front sight was not properly indexed.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My JM SBL was an absolute disaster. I ended up having Ranger Point Precision work on it and now it is smooth and accurate. Before, RPP? Even the front sight was not properly indexed.

As I recall, your SBL was made in 2010, making it a Remlin, not a Marlin. I also had an early Remington cobbled Remlin that was made from old stock parts by poorly trained apes...same as yours.

Not all Marlins were perfect, but the numbers that were problem guns were far outweighed by the good ones. With Remarlington guns, the inverse seems to be true.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As I recall, your SBL was made in 2010, making it a Remlin, not a Marlin. I also had an early Remington cobbled Remlin that was made from old stock parts by poorly trained apes...same as yours.

Not all Marlins were perfect, but the numbers that were problem guns were far outweighed by the good ones. With Remarlington guns, the inverse seems to be true.

No. It was made a year before they moved but after the buyout.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
^^^^
I’m certain you said it was 2010 over at MO but either way, a Remlin is a Remlin. Like yours, mine was a Remlin assembled from parts made before the buyout by poorly skilled Remington employees.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^
...by poorly skilled Remington employees.

Or angry, soon to be unemployed Marlin employees.

Are they bluing the guns again? I went to the range recently with a buddy and he had a Remlin, it looked like it was GI surplus, the finish damn near looked like parkerizing.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my JM 336 30-30. I'm always on the lookout for a deal on a 1895 SBL in 45-70... one of these days the right deal will come along!

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1210 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are they bluing the guns again? I went to the range recently with a buddy and he had a Remlin, it looked like it was GI surplus, the finish damn near looked like parkerizing.

My "Remlin" 1895G has really nice, deep bluing. The only finish aspect that's different is the serial number looks like it's laser etched, not roll-stamped like on the older guns.

Are you sure your buddy didn't have a 336W? I've seen some of the newer Marlins at Walmart with a finish like you describe. From what I understand, Marlin makes a utilitarian version of the 336 for chains stores with the rougher finish and cheaper wood, designated the 336W. If Wikipedia is to be believed, this practice has been ongoing since well before Remington came into the picture, but there are few details as to how the -W variant differed from the nicer models over the years. I believe they still make the blued version under a different model 336 designation, as I've seen them around as well.

Posts: 8416 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I know for sure he bought it in a gun store, new or used I do not know.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^^
I’m certain you said it was 2010 over at MO but either way, a Remlin is a Remlin. Like yours, mine was a Remlin assembled from parts made before the buyout by poorly skilled Remington employees.

I might have. However, you made me ( Wink) go pull the serial number and then trundle back to marlinowners.com and check the thread for production dates. I have a 91xxxxxx so that is a 2009 manufacture date if I did my math right - and understood the serial number thread.

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
quote:
^^^^
...by poorly skilled Remington employees.

Or angry, soon to be unemployed Marlin employees...

^^^^^^^^^^
That thought has crossed my mind concerning mine. Check out my before and after pictures using the same round, same range, weather and better yet, just me on the range. I am shooting at 50 yards with the sights that came with my SBL. The first picture is pre RPP the second is after.

To enlarge click on the picture. Imageshack will give you a $$$ message. Just click on the “X” and it will disappear.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I have had my 1895 guide gun for 3 deer seasons and I have taken 3 shots at deer with 3 kills. I have never had a problem mechanically or cosmetically. It’s topped with a Leupold VX3 2-7 scope and the target below 4 shots at 100 yards.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've bought a couple of 1895 45/70's, a blued and stainless; the blued was some time ago and the stainless more recent, about 12 years ago, I think. No issues with either. I like the Marlins. I heard a lot about quality control issues, but didn't get involved with them during recent years enough to know first hand. The rifles I purchased performed as advertised. Nothing spectacular, nothing disappointing.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post