SIGforum
Daniel defense lower issue with grip change out

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8690063824

August 04, 2017, 11:46 PM
gambit123
Daniel defense lower issue with grip change out
So I have a Daniel defense v5 that came with an a2 grip and I decided to change it out. Well here is the issue, I can not for the life of me get the grip screw to tighten up all the way. I have tried 4 different grips and screws. Not even the one that came with a2 will tighten up all the way. Is is possible the lower is out of spec? Anyone else have this issue? The a2 has no issue so I am kinda lost.
August 05, 2017, 12:50 AM
Jelly
That does not sound good. Are the threads in the lower stripped out?
August 05, 2017, 12:59 AM
gambit123
no it takes the bolt and it is snug when i try it with out a grip. i just can not get it to tighten up with the grips on? and i mean i have almost stripped one bolt head on the 4 bolts i have tried.
August 05, 2017, 01:10 AM
Jelly
What grip are you trying to put on. Do you think the grip could be the problem? Could it need a 3/4" inch length bolt compared to the stock AR 1" length bolt?
August 05, 2017, 07:36 AM
MikeinNC
sounds like it's stripped..

you could drill it a little bigger and insert a helicoil (try the auto parts store)

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
August 05, 2017, 08:47 AM
gambit123
I do not believe it's the grips. I tried a bcm mod 0. Tango down bg16 and the Daniel defense with the built in tigger guard
August 05, 2017, 08:51 AM
Bisleyblackhawk
If I'm reading this right...the bolt itself will snug up tight in the receiver but it will not draw the grip up properly before it gets tight (the grip is still loose on the lower)...

I would say it's a bolt length issue...maybe add washers to the bolt until it pulls the new grip into place and tightens down...then purchase the correct length bolt based on the overall length with the washers...

Also make sure the bolt has not been cross threaded somehow...without the grip, how deep will the bolt go into the lower before getting tight...how many turns?

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet
August 05, 2017, 10:05 AM
sigfreund
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I would say it's a bolt length issue...

Unless I’m hopelessly confused, I don’t see how it could be anything else.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato
August 05, 2017, 12:05 PM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
So I have a Daniel defense v5 that came with an a2 grip and I decided to change it out. Well here is the issue, I can not for the life of me get the grip screw to tighten up all the way. I have tried 4 different grips and screws. Not even the one that came with a2 will tighten up all the way. Is is possible the lower is out of spec? Anyone else have this issue? The a2 has no issue so I am kinda lost.

Give DD's customer service a call.

Why mess with it and just deal with something you're not entirely happy with?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

August 05, 2017, 05:37 PM
agent 229
I changed the grip out on mine with a magpul grip. I don't remember what bolt I used, I just know the grip doesn't quite fit the contour of the reciever much like yours.
August 05, 2017, 08:00 PM
Rinehart
Most AR lower parts kits include 1" grip bolts.

I know you have a Daniel Defense lower, but I have noticed that Anderson AR lower receivers grip screws are usually tapped only 3/4”.

I've had a few that I had to cut to a slightly shorter length and chase the outer threads. They worked fine after that. You may have a similar situation, or else damaged threads deeper.

As well, I had one Magpul grip that I had to trim just a tiny bit to get a good tight fit.
August 05, 2017, 09:01 PM
bubbatime
Take the grip off.

Thread a bolt into the hole. Is it stripped? If not, keep going. Thread it to the bottom. It might not be threaded all the way, in which case you can run a tap down the hole, use a shorter bolt, or put a few washers on your bolt.

August 13, 2017, 04:21 PM
TooTech
I have a DD rifle as well and could not get a Magpul grip installed because of the precise reason OP mentioned. The grip screw that came with the Magpul was turning in from the outset with undue difficulty. And yes, I made certain it wasn't cross-threaded.

I gave up on the Magpul and reinstalled the factory A2 grip.

"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue." - Barry Goldwater
August 13, 2017, 11:37 PM
gambit123
Daniel defense has the rifle now. I'll update when I hear back.
August 19, 2017, 01:57 AM
bmo
Fwiw, I had the same issue with my v5 DD bought circa 2012. I came to the conclusion that the screw hole was drilled slightly off in the receiver, as the Magpul grip worked fine in other brand receivers. I just elongated the hole in my magpul grip and it works fine. Still, not something you'd expect from DD.

August 19, 2017, 07:34 AM
eweiss
Those threads are easy to bug up. I use extreme caution when changing grips out, but agreed it sounds like a grip screw length issue. Post an AAR when the rifle comes back from DD.
August 19, 2017, 02:56 PM
gambit123
they sent it back with a shorter screw installed. so yeah, but i still love it. love me some dd rifles.