SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AR-15 Nickel Boron BCG thoughts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AR-15 Nickel Boron BCG thoughts? Login/Join 
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted
Been thinking about trying out a new bolt carrier group. For $95 this Toolcraft seems like it might be good deal, what are your thoughts on this?

Monmouth Reloading

Carrier Material: 8620 Steel
Gas Key Material: 4130 Steel; Grade 8 Gas Key Screws
Other: Chrome lined gas key and carrier
Coating: Nickel Boron

Bolt Material: 158 Carpenter Steel | Shot Peened
Extractor Material: D2 Tool Steel
Cam Pin Material: 8620 Steel
Firing Pin Material: 416 Stainless Steel

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I have 4 or 5 PSA NB bolts, nary a problem at all. This weekend, they are on sale. 89 for just the bolt.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I recently got a NB bolt from PSA. It is very slick!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As you probably already know, the NB coating makes cleaning the bolt 50% easier. Well worth it.

Keep Americans working, buy American made!

Posts: 709 | Location: western PA | Registered: April 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've been using a NiB BCG in my suppressed 300 blk for a few years. I forgot who made it. It does make cleaning easier, but it will discolor over time. Doesn't bother me. Easier cleaning is what I wanted for suppressed shooting.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have never used NiB but I am very impressed with my JP QPQ (melonite) carrier.

Super slick, still looks new.

From what I have read I will stick with melonite over NiB but I have never personally used a NiB.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
I have never used NiB but I am very impressed with my JP QPQ (melonite) carrier.

From what I have read I will stick with melonite over NiB but I have never personally used a NiB.
Hmmm... I am very impressed with the JP Full Mass Melonite QPQ AR15 BCG as well.

But, we are now talking 3x the price.
Maybe we should consider price range of the AR.
I was thinking of using this in your typical Colt or Bushmaster rifle.

Would you stick a >$300 BCG in a $1000 gun?

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Hey kimber...I don't have their NiB bolt carrier group, but the Toolcraft Nitride BCGs I own are first rate quality...

I've ordered quite a bit from Monmouth and have been satisfied with their prices and shipping...but I've started using these guys lately if they have what I need in stock...their prices are a little better and shipping is always free (and quick)...you might check them out for the Toolcraft BCG at a little better price point...

http://www.tomstactical.com/to...n-ar-15-bcg-m16-auto

They also have a nickle Teflon trigger group that I've been pleased with for under $40 (I have three and am fixing to order another).

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimber1911:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:

Hmmm... I am very impressed with the JP Full Mass Melonite QPQ AR15 BCG as well.

But, we are now talking 3x the price.
Maybe we should consider price range of the AR.
I was thinking of using this in your typical Colt or Bushmaster rifle.

Would you stick a >$300 BCG in a $1000 gun?

All my rifles are builds so I never have a regular 'factory' BCG to stick in a parts bin. Although I have used standard carriers in several builds with no complaints.

I used a low mass JP carrier in my 3 gun build. I was very impressed with the quality and the design. They have increased bearing surface which has eliminated the wear on the upper receiver that I see with high round counts and standard carriers.

For that reason I plan to buy a JP full mass carrier for my Mega monolithic upper build because of the expense of that particular upper.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I dont like them. Ive held in my hand "several" that were out of spec, too tight in the upper, because the coating adds thickness and they need to machine the parts "smaller" before adding any coatings onto them. If they were "properly" machined and coated, then I wouldnt have a problem with them. The old fashioned Colt and BCM carriers are 100% in spec and have never ever given me a problem, so these fancy things dont really accomplish anything for me.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
Monmouth Reloading, Toolcraft NiB BCG vs. Toms Tactical, Toolcraft NiB BCG

$100 vs $90 shipped
Gas Key Material: 4130 vs. 4140
Bolt Material: 158 Carpenter Steel Shot Peened vs. 9310 alloy steel
Firing Pin Material: 416 Stainless Steel vs. 8740 steel, hard chrome coated

To complicate the matter, you cannot draw a straight comparison between vendors with Toolcraft BCG's.
Who did the plating process?
What bolt material is better?
Which firing pin is better?

I went with the Monmouth BCG.
Was swayed by the 158 Carpenter steel bolt, 416 stainless firing pin, and Monmouth's indication that Toolcraft did the plating. If I chose unwisely feel free to let me know, I won't feel bad.

With so many options in material and vendors I am still interested to learn more.
Have a nagging feeling that the black nitride might actually be a better choice in the $75 to $150 range BCG, being a metal treatment process rather than a plating process. I think bubbatime makes a valid point.

Pres. Select, Joe Biden

posted Hide Post
I have the following BCGs:
Wilson Combat - NP3 (in three ARs)
Wilson Combat - parkerized
Rock River - parkerized
LWRC - Nickel Boron
Black Rain - Nickel Boron

All of my ARs cycle flawlessly and exhibit great accuracy. The coated bolts are easier to clean, especially when shooting with a suppressor. The coated bolts probably cycle a little better when they are under lubricated. Going forward, all of my BCGs will be coated.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Hey kimber...thank you for the head to head comparison between vendors Smile ...it's something I never thought about.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have way to many BCGs but I might have to try the Nickel Boron Toolcraft BCG. I use the controversial Fireclean on my BCM BCG shooting 99% suppressed and it cleans fairly easy but I am all about making it even easier Big Grin

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I love them .
The carbon slips off with a brush & they look great.
Zero issues with the ones I have.
One is an Ares Armor & the other a PSA .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
How do fail zero and black rain BCG's rate?

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's some more Toolcraft NiB BCGs to bake your noodle:

https://www.spicetac.com/produ...-group-5-56-223-c158

https://www.spicetac.com/produ...-group-5-56-223-9310

I ordered my nitride BCG from here when they were on same and I was very happy with the quality and the level of customer service.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
any of these companies selling just a NiB carrier? Need it for a 6.5 build.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8017 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Would any of these NiB BCGs work in a select fire weapon? I'm thinking of buying one for my next deployment.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
No problems with the PSA NiBo BCG in mine. A little discoloration, but cleans easily & functions just fine.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15302 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post