SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Resurrecting an old shotgun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resurrecting an old shotgun Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
I grew up in the era of rifle racks in trucks, in the parking lot of our high school. I was even once asked to bring my 12 gauge to school by the instructor of our Hunter Safety course.

Around 1982, my parents let me buy my first shotgun, when hardware stores still sold long arms. I purchased a Coast to Coast MasterMag 12 gauge. Over time, and many moves, for some reason the barrel and stock had been misplaced. Not sure how or why, it was kept at my parents house, while I moved around and grew up.

I found it in my closet yesterday, and after a quick internet search, I discovered a MasterMag is basically a rebadged Mossberg 500. And guess what? I have spare parts. My son has a 500, with a NIB pistol grip (no stock), and after minor modification, it fits perfect. His 18.5” smooth bore barrel slides on effortlessly. But now I have to buy a barrel.

If I had to describe it, it’s definitely a FrankenGun. A synthetic black pistol grip, walnut forearm, glossy black receiver and mag tube, and a matte black barrel.

But it brings back memories of my youth, and provided many pheasants to our dinner table.

This is now my go to housegun.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I have a 70’s vintage 870 & 500. I don’t use them much, but they work just fine.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I've got a 1915 Crescent Arms .410 bore hammer gun with color case hardened receiver my dad gave me when I was around 8 or so. The firing pin broke around 25 years ago or so and I was going to have a machine shop make me a new one when a friend said to try Numrich Arms.

Called them and they said "how many do you want."

The correct answer is 2.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Apparently right Numrich is out of barrels for mossberg 500. But here is the link for future info

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/g...s/parts-list-mos-500

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post