SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cleaning a K98 barrel from corrosive ammo fouling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning a K98 barrel from corrosive ammo fouling Login/Join 
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted
A hunting buddy of mine passed away a few years ago, and slowly I've been helping his wife get rid of his collection.
She's been very generous and gifted my sons and I a few nice pieces.

The last rifle is a "Sporterized" K98 Mauser he picked up over the years. It's an 8mm and there were a few extra partial boxes of moldy
shells which I'm guessing were military and corrosive.

So the bore has the rifling lands, but the grooves were literally thick with a dark mossy looking fouling.

I scrubbed with the usual Hoppes#9, Copper Solvent, etc, but after scrubbing until my arm was tired the improvement was negligible.
A steady stream of brownish solvent is being expelled, so I guess I'm making some progress.
For the past 4 days I've let it stand with Kano oil, and Gibbs (seems to be the same as Kano), and the progress seems a little better.

My question is, is there a product someon knows of for this particular type of fouling.... or am I wasting my time? Thanks.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Once you get it as cleaned out as you can by hand, shooting it can help. (Use noncorrosive ammo this time.)

I've had some fairly cruddy milsurp bores that turned out fairly nicely after a few bouts of cleaning and then shooting a few rounds through them.

But depending on how badly corroded it was in the first place, it may not ever get back to a decent condition, even after cleaning or shooting.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tupperware Dr.
Picture of GCE61
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rogue, I do have some fresh factory (Privi) ammo on the way which is non corrosive.
I’ll keep scrubbing in the meantime.

Posts: 3548 | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
If you can find someone that has one, an Outers Foul-Out can work wonders on dark pitted bores. It basically reverse electroplates a sacrificial anode in the bore with the lead and copper from the lands and grooves.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
It’s already ‘sportorized’, then depending on how bad it is, rebarreling is an option.

We have a ‘Norwegian surrender’ K98 that was rebarreled & chambered in 30-06 by Norway in the 1950’s. Other than that it’s a common K98, in nice shape. In 30-06 ammo is easy.

I agree, the lower cost option is to scrub away, then try it out.

Posts: 6158 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I was looking for a lead removal product and stumbled across the wipe Out family of products. I've used their products to clean badly fouled revolvers that had multiple layers of lead\carbon fouling. You'll need to wear rubber gloves because their products will suck the moisture\oils right out of your body.

https://sharpshootr.com/

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I suggest an old worn bore brush wrapped with strands of 0000-grade steel wool. Use it dry, pushing through the bore about a dozen times. Then soak a cleaning patch with solvent (I like the old GI-surplus stuff) and swab the bore liberally and allow to sit overnight. Repeat the bore brush/steel wool, then clean as usual with solvent and patches.

For those who will order me hung for suggesting steel wool I will just say that this is a method I learned while cleaning heavily used small arms (US and foreign) at a major US Army post armory back in the 1960s. Lots of cruddy ammunition, lots of corrosive priming, and lots of use in familiarization training, so it took some work to keep many of those weapons functional.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post