SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Putin shows off sniper skills firing Kalashnikov rifle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Putin shows off sniper skills firing Kalashnikov rifle Login/Join 
ammoholic
Picture of drtenb330
posted Hide Post
Russian Kalashnikov, with a Harris bipod, a surefire (or a damn close copy of a M600), a Tasco/crappy scope. Wonder how many parts were outsourced, or even if the rifle itself isn't an imported stock on a foreign bbl.

Posts: 1632 | Location: Miami Beach, Florida | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Well, Steyr's barrel-making technology has always been chic.

Seriously, though, how much of that was outsourced?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Looking on another website it's more of a short stroke Valmet clone with the whole FAB Defense catalog thrown at it. Gross

Posts: 9961 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
Is that a flashlight on a long distance rifle?

Some of the discussion about the rifle describes it as a “designated marksman’s” weapon, and at first blush that would be my impression of such a gun: Intended for rapid fire (if necessary) at “intermediate” distances (however that might be defined). It would be capable of hits on human targets out to 600-700 yards, but not for pinpoint accuracy at longer ranges. And although no one would be using a flashlight to illuminate targets at such distances, one advantage of the semiautomatic DM rifle is that it can also serve adequately, if not ideally, as a close combat weapon.

In one account I read just recently, a U.S. armed forces supervisor made that exact point by saying that shooters armed with such weapons could participate on entry teams and if ultra long range shooting wasn’t necessary, a less precise autoloading rifle was preferable to a true sniper weapon. If someone armed with that rifle might be called upon for such a role, then a weapon mounted light would make perfect sense. My rifles that I envision might be used in such situations have lights. A good SureFire or comparable light can be used to effectively illuminate some targets to 100 yards and beyond, not to mention across a room.

I’m also not surprised by the fact that the guy in the background wasn’t wearing hearing protection when a suppressed rifle was fired. I wear it myself when shooting a suppressed 308 rifle, and presumably Putin was smart enough to do so as well, but Russians in particular seem to be very conscious of their tough guy images and the other man might have been trying to prove that.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post