SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Cutting a barrel down on a .22lr upper
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cutting a barrel down on a .22lr upper Login/Join 
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted
I have a Chiappa dedicated .22lr upper that I’d bought before the “Panic”.
Then .22lr went missing and while .22lr is back in stock it has collected dust ever since.
I also have a SB15 & two Shockwave Blades sitting unused and got to thinking.
I wonder if I can cut down the barrel and make the thing into a .22 AR pistol ?
It’s on a polymer New Frontier 5.56 lower .
I’ve not looked into it much but I don’t remember seeing any .22 AR pistols.
Is there a reason for this other than the absurdity of it?
Will shortening the barrel reduce the back pressure to the point a blow back action will no longer function?

To be honest if my old radio operator lived closer (and not in Connecticut Mad) I’d just give it to him as I’d bet his youngest boy would like it.

As for selling it, eh... I’d rather play around & alter it .

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you tried it at all? Mine was so poor, I’m not sure I’d use it as a tomato stake. Fail to extract, fail to cycle.... just a failure.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Yeah I ran just over 1,000rds thru it (lotsa TW25B grease to keep it cycling).
And I have reconfigured it multiple times even though I stopped shooting it as I have a ton of extra parts & stuff sitting around.
But it’s not accurate enough to interest me in anything other than playing & plinking.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
It won't affect function.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
22’s are ok in CT. Neuter the flash hider with a thread protector and its legal in CT.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Sadly it’s not, as I’ve been told, they’ve banned AR lowers coming into the state and this mounts onto a standard AR lower which he currently has none of.
If that’s not the case please tell me as I’d be sending the complete rifle.
Not just an upper.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyBiker:
Yeah I ran just over 1,000rds thru it (lotsa TW25B grease to keep it cycling).
And I have reconfigured it multiple times even though I stopped shooting it as I have a ton of extra parts & stuff sitting around.
But it’s not accurate enough to interest me in anything other than playing & plinking.

I have played around quite a bit with ar22 uppers. I have yet to find one that performs better with grease than oil. The grees thickens with grime and starts to slow the bolt down quite a bit.

If you have issues, switch over to oil. Put it on a patch sne wipe a super thin coat on the parts. 1 drop on each rail.

As for cutting it down. Go for it. If you have a pistol lower. Go to town. If not, sbr a lower. form 1 efile took me 18 days for 3 sbr's and 12 days for one suppressor build. Then thread it, build a can.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Yes they banned AR’s in CT.
Put a pistol buffer on it, add an SB Tactical brace (or blade) and a fore grip so it becomes an other and it’s CT legal. Yep, in that configuration it is CT compliant.
Need to modify hand guard to accept foregrip, Magpul.
Google Delta Level Defence CT to verify.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post