SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Converting ar15 pistol to rifle and then back to ar pistol?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Converting ar15 pistol to rifle and then back to ar pistol? Login/Join 
posted
Can a ar15 lower that was originally received as factory pistol lower that was then converted to a
Rifle, be put back in to pistol form if the pistol buffer tube is reinstalled or is it stuck as a rifle? I know it’s a dumb question.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You need a competent legal answer if you are betting your life on it and want to avoid possible jail time.
As i understand it, once a lower has been assembled as a rifle, in the eyes of the ATF it's ALWAYS a rifle no matter what you hang on it.
That;s why its recomended that you buy a pistol diesgnated lower and keep it in that configuration.
OR buy a regular lower and HAVE IT ENGRAVED as a Pistol Lower even if it's the very same lower reciever.

I AM NOT A LAWYER and ignore legal advice from me or anyone else here who is NOT A LAWYER or certified legal firearms expert. ATF SHOULD have guidance on this online.

Why not just take a rifle lower, tear it apart and use it for a spistol, after getting it engraved as a pistol lower?

Because as I understand the law, it's ILLEGAL.

Why risk it, new lowers are cheap enough these days?

Posts: 957 | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. If you call the manufacturer of the lower they say it was sold as a pistol lower. Only reason I bothered to ask, Looks like I will just order bcm pistol lower just to be on the safe side. The whole is just to hard to get a correct answer.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Once it's a pistol, it can always become a pistol again.

If it starts life as a rifle, it is forever.

But with the prices of lowers, I think it's easiest to just get another lower.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Other than my AAC PDW lower, I couldn't remember which other one started off as a pistol so I just built up another pistol lower. They're so cheap right now.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8013 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A stripped lower can be built into either a pistol or a rifle, which is why you need to be 21 and able to legally purchase a pistol in order to buy one. My point being that all stripped lowers can legally be built as a pistol. No marking or engraving is required. If you build it as a rifle, you can always convert it back to a pistol.

Posts: 2479 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/d...red-pistols/download

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post