Tools

Null Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
A few weeks back, I found a brand new Colt 6920 factory FDE cerakote for $700, and had to snatch it up. As I didnt really have a lot of use for a standard carbine, I decided to strip it down to the bones and re-build it in all FDE. Parts I replaced:

-ALG ACT trigger
-Geisselle Super Charging handle
-Magpul MOE grip
-Magpul MOE trigger guard
-Magpul UBR stock
-Radian Talon Safety
-Superlative Arms adjustable gas block
-Midwest Industries free-float quad rail.
-Magpul MBUS PRO BUIS

The only Colt parts left are the upper and lower receivers, buffer, buffer spring, BCG, barrel and barrel nut. I sold off all of the parts I removed, bringing the overall cost of these parts down to $536.

I then added the Trijicon Aimpoint Accupoint in a Midwest Industries mount, and the Harris bipod (soon to be replaced by the new Magpul bi-pod, as soon as my backorder is filled).

Nice rifle. I have one very similarly configured. Keymod rail instead of quad rail but overall pretty much the same setup without being all the same parts. 1-5x Steiner instead of a Trijicon. I think we are using the same silencer. 556SD? I've got a Harris bipod on mine as well. I use the same one on several different rifles.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Tell me about the UBR. I saw one at the range and played with it. Didn’t shoot it.

I like mine. All of the rifles which I have are a bit on the heavy side on the front end.

One is a 18" MK12 contour barrel for 3-gun. One is a 20" LaRue Stealth barrel with a continuous taper contour for PRS Gas Gun.
Another is a 16" medium contour barrel but it is shot with a silencer attached 90% of the time.

A well balanced rifle can feel lighter than a lighter rifle that is muzzle heavy.

The UBR is not for you if you are trying to build an ultralight rifle. But if you like rock solid lockup and the ability to quickly adjust LOP if you go from standing to prone, or because of armor or thick clothing, the UBR is superb.

There are 5 different positions where you can place an Allen screw to establish preset stops fore or aft, to lock out areas of travel if they are far too short or long and you never use them.

It also has integral QD sling attachment points, and the storage area is very handy for spare batteries for an optic, or for flashlights, or both.

I stick some foam earplugs in with the batteries in mine and there is no rattle.

High power shooters put lead weights in there to get their rifle weight to where they like it.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm looking at this and the PRS. Weight is not an issue. It's a bench gun. I have a lightweight build for hoofing around, and building another middle weight.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Yeah, I'm looking at this and the PRS. Weight is not an issue. It's a bench gun. I have a lightweight build for hoofing around, and building another middle weight.

If you use a rear bag you will probably prefer the PRS.

It was a bit too long for me offhand.