posted
Null

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dwd1985,

Posts: 4448 | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Tell me about the UBR. I saw one at the range and played with it. Didn’t shoot it.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Tell me about the UBR.
Heavy. Can help balance a front heavy rifle with a can, but still heavy.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dwd1985:
Rock solid. All the benefits of an adjustable stock but with consistent cheek weld. It is heavy, but the Gen 2 is lighter than the first version and can be made lighter by removing the storage doors.

Which do you like better, the Gen 1 or Gen 2 UBR?

Where did you find a brand new Colt 6920 factory FDE cerakote for $700? What is the model number for the one you bought?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smithnsig:
Tell me about the UBR. I saw one at the range and played with it. Didn’t shoot it.

Rock solid. All the benefits of an adjustable stock but with consistent cheek weld. It is heavy, but the Gen 2 is lighter than the first version and can be made lighter by removing the storage doors.

I'd think that if you're worried about the weight of 2 plastic storage doors on a 10-11 pound gun, you've got bigger problems!
I've got 3 ... Maybe 4 I really like them. As noted, they are as solid as a solid stock, with the benefit of the collapsible.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That is a handsome gun! Well done. Makes me want to do an FDE......

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
Which do you like better, the Gen 1 or Gen 2 UBR?

John Hollinger of White Oak Arms has a good discussion of the differences between the two stocks here.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
I'd think that if you're worried about the weight of 2 plastic storage doors on a 10-11 pound gun, you've got bigger problems!
I've got 3 ... Maybe 4 I really like them. As noted, they are as solid as a solid stock, with the benefit of the collapsible.

I think too often shooters fret over rifle weight. Few people carry rifles for hours and hours, day after day. Fewer still hump them up and down mountains, with additional loads on their backs.

In reality, few people ever shoot a rifle from position other than bench or prone. Rarely do we discuss (via websites or face-to-face) techniques for shooting unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling, or standing. Very few people compete in shooting sports that require unsupported positions.

So if this is true, the vast majority of shooters support the weight of their rifle in two instances -- transporting it between safe and car, and transporting it between car and shooting line.

I have a UBR on one AR-15. Decent stock, but IMO not perfect. It's definitely solid. It helps balance the weight of rifle -- an 18" medium-contour barrel, solid scope, and suppressor. And yes, I do carry this rifle in competition, in matches that require miles of walking/jogging over the course of a day.

The UBR's cheek rest is pretty good, however it's in a relatively forward position in order to allow the buttstock to collapse forward. This means that a nose-to-charging handle position is required (for me) to get my full cheek on the cheek rest. My preferred position on an AR is with my head a little further back, which results in the back part of my cheek being off the rear end of the cheek piece. Somewhat minor gripe, but it means my head position is slightly different with this AR than with my others.

I would like the bottom rear part of the UBR to be a little longer, so more of the buttstock rests on my rear bag. I find that I shoot more accurately with a larger portion of the buttstock touching a bag -- like in Magpull's PRS stock.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
... the vast majority of shooters support the weight of their rifle in two instances -- transporting it between safe and car, and transporting it between car and shooting line.

Yeah but sometimes we have to park really far away Big Grin

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
... the vast majority of shooters support the weight of their rifle in two instances -- transporting it between safe and car, and transporting it between car and shooting line.

1. Radio Flyer's Little Red Wagon
2. Hello Kitty sticker on the front
3. Dora the Explorer sticker on the back
4. Yer good to go

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Good lookin rifle!

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:

1. Radio Flyer's Little Red Wagon
2. Hello Kitty sticker on the front
3. Dora the Explorer sticker on the back
4. Yer good to go

You forgot the Punisher logo on the hubcaps

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3583 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Good looking rifle!

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
In reality, few people ever shoot a rifle from position other than bench or prone. Rarely do we discuss (via websites or face-to-face) techniques for shooting unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling, or standing. Very few people compete in shooting sports that require unsupported positions.

So if this is true, the vast majority of shooters support the weight of their rifle in two instances -- transporting it between safe and car, and transporting it between car and shooting line.

I think you're absolutely spot-on people rave over some new GEN 2 of anything is "SO MUCH LIGHTER" ... and when you dig down, its like 5oz lighter ... in my opinion, WHO CARES! That's not even 1/2 a pound ... a loaded magazine weighs more than that and as you pointed out, they aren't carrying that rifle all day. They run their course and sit down.

You are also right in that we never discuss techniques for shooting unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling, or standing, so here's my little contribution ...
When I first got into shooting seriously (group size and such as opposed to just pointing and being satisfied with hitting what ever I was shooting at). I got into Service Rifle match shooting. I read a couple books on the basic's and after a couple matches and got to know other shooters they would give me tips and I practiced at the range when I could ... I took up reloading because I could afford to shoot more. Also when the seasons changed and it got dark earlier I'd practice with an air rifle in the basement (because the projectile is slower, its much less forgiving than a rifle).
Lastly, ne thing I learned right away is muscle gets tired and wobbly; for support bone on bone is more reliable or solid in sitting/kneeling or off-hand/standing.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kimberkid:
quote:

I think you're absolutely spot-on people rave over some new GEN 2 of anything is "SO MUCH LIGHTER" ... and when you dig down, its like 5oz lighter ... in my opinion, WHO CARES! That's not even 1/2 a pound ... a loaded magazine weighs more than that and as you pointed out, they aren't carrying that rifle all day. They run their course and sit down.

You are also right in that we never discuss techniques for shooting unsupported prone, sitting, kneeling, or standing, so here's my little contribution ...
When I first got into shooting seriously (group size and such as opposed to just pointing and being satisfied with hitting what ever I was shooting at). I got into Service Rifle match shooting. I read a couple books on the basic's and after a couple matches and got to know other shooters they would give me tips and I practiced at the range when I could ... I took up reloading because I could afford to shoot more. Also when the seasons changed and it got dark earlier I'd practice with an air rifle in the basement (because the projectile is slower, its much less forgiving than a rifle).
Lastly, ne thing I learned right away is muscle gets tired and wobbly; for support bone on bone is more reliable or solid in sitting/kneeling or off-hand/standing.

I have actually heard from some high power guys that are looking for Gen 1 UBR's cause they are heavier,

IIRC, someone makes a weight kit to make them heavier

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
DWD, nice rifle, man. It's pretty similar to mine, just a minor difference in flavor.

quote:
The UBR's cheek rest is pretty good, however it's in a relatively forward position in order to allow the buttstock to collapse forward. This means that a nose-to-charging handle position is required (for me) to get my full cheek on the cheek rest. My preferred position on an AR is with my head a little further back, which results in the back part of my cheek being off the rear end of the cheek piece. Somewhat minor gripe, but it means my head position is slightly different with this AR than with my others.

I seem to recall when I first bought and installed mine that the cheekpiece could be moved rearward at the cost of how short the stock can be collapsed. Have you tried that, or is losing the ability to fully collapse the deterrent?

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
There have been a couple times I wanted a cheek riser but the last time I checked (a couple years ago) they didn't make one.

Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I then added the Trijicon Aimpoint in a Midwest Industries mount

Confused

Is this like a Mercedes BMW or something?

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:
quote:

I then added the Trijicon Aimpoint in a Midwest Industries mount

Confused

Is this like a Mercedes BMW or something?

Accupoint

Posts: 325 | Registered: September 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Beauty! How much do you have in the rifle if you don’t mind?

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you don't ever collapse the UBR down farther than the position where you have it set, you can remove the four screws holding the cheekpiece on, and move the entire thing back.

You lose some compact adjustment, but you would correct your head position issue.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post