SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    pistol brace
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pistol brace Login/Join 
posted
just sent the paperwork to sbr my sp5k and i have been debating on buying a mk18. i can get a mk18 sbr for about 1700.00 and that includes the 200.00 tax stamp or i could just get the pistol for 1650.00 that comes the brace. Daniel defense is releasing the mk18 pistol's again. just trying to figure which would be the better purchase. the only thing about the pistol is the atf changes there mind on the brace so much. what do you fellows think?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gambit123,

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I like the pistols for the ease of travel, less rules and restrictions, etc. and cheaper, although in your case, not hardly.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I'd go pistol, so it could travel much easier but that SBR price is pretty good.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I think if the ATF changed their mind on the brace then you can always SBR it then. Id likely take advantage of the less restrictive nature and go pistol.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hate braces. Pistol versions of SBRs exist because of our stupid import laws and 1934 NFA. A brace is just not the same as a sbr. What happens when ATF reclassifies them as illegal to shoulder? They have pulled shenanigans like that on many occasions in the past. And then there’s the cheese factor. The cheese factor is high.

Ask yourself how often you will travel across state lines. If it’s frequent just submit a form 20 every year for the states to which you anticipate traveling. Get the sbr. You’ll be able to use whatever stocks and vfg you want.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gambit123:
Well I ended up with a like new dd mk18 upper for 650.00. And I bid on a sbr Daniel defense lower for 550.00 on gunbroker. It will be at my dealer for a while until the stamp comes back. But did way better then 1700.00

Congratulations, you’ll love it.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post