SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    6.5 Grendel info
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5 Grendel info Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend doing more research before picking a barrel length. IIRC most of the early Alexander Arms offerings where between 18-24" with AA recommending a 20" to 24" for hunting and the cartridge seemed to be designed around distance as per Alexander Arms.

They also offer a ballistics table covering 14.5, 16" , 19.5 and 24" barrels at the website linked above.

On barrel lengths and maneuvering, I had an incident in Taji, where I exited the vehicle, but my M16A2 (20") didn't because it got caught in the vehicle due to it's length. I had another issue doing FoF training at FT Benning where my barrel caught a door frame and my butt caught some SIM rounds because of them. I've also noticed that it's easier to work in and around Hummwvees, Bradley's and Strykers with the shorter barrel. I would also point out that the MK 18/CQBR was created based on end User requirements as was the M110C. Of course your mileage may vary.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that ^^. While I won’t be exiting any Bradley’s in the near future, I do like the convenience of shorter barrels being an NFA person. As noted though, I don’t want to neuter the round with a bad barrel choice. Since I won’t be shooting past 400-450 yds, this seems unlikely.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Thanks for that ^^. While I won’t be exiting any Bradley’s in the near future, I do like the convenience of shorter barrels being an NFA person. As noted though, I don’t want to neuter the round with a bad barrel choice. Since I won’t be shooting past 400-450 yds, this seems unlikely.

Then the ballistics tables on the AA site would be the most useful info I offered. That can at least help you with a "paper" comparison of both lengths and help you visualize what you might be trading.

My comment about the significance of barrel length was a rebuttal to Fritz's Keyboard Commando remark. Although, given my current MOS I am in fact a Keyboard Commando or a Power Point Ranger.

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
On barrel lengths and maneuvering, I had an incident in Taji, where I exited the vehicle, but my M16A2 (20") didn't because it got caught in the vehicle due to it's length. I had another issue doing FoF training at FT Benning where my barrel caught a door frame and my butt caught some SIM rounds because of them. I've also noticed that it's easier to work in and around Hummwvees, Bradley's and Strykers with the shorter barrel.

These are perfect examples of how duty rifles must be carefully configured for their missions. Your service to our country is noted and greatly appreciated.

We non-LEO civilians will not experience such situations in Humvees. It is remotely possible we may have defend our homes. I get that. But the vast majority of gun owners will see portability issues of long-barreled rifles only when moving cased rifles in and out of our full-leather Bluetooth-enabled Ford Explorers, and placing said cased rifles on the square range's bench rest.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
........stuff.......

We non-LEO civilians will not experience such situations in Humvees. It is remotely possible we may have defend our homes. I get that.

Fritz,
Much respect. I was just poking back about keyboard commando comment, I should have added a smiley face when I did it.

FWIW I consider LE, Competitors and other sorts Private Gun Owners as My peers. I routinely learn things from the non-military folks that can or should be applied in the current and future operating environment. I also believe that some of the things that we (.mil)learned the hard ways should be shared as well. So while things may not directly translate, It's better in my opinion to offer them and let folks pick and chose what they use.

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I don't have access to anything past 300 and I have an 18" 5.56 for distance work. I have a 16" Grendel barrel enroute. I'm still trying to decide between 12.5 and 14.5. it's always going to be suppressed and is going to be a plinker because I got bored one day and decided to try another caliber. It was between the grendel and 7.62x39. other than my 18 and tavor x95, all my rifles are suppressed sbrs.

Even at work my patrol rifle is a suppressed 10.5"

And now it has all changed. Got a 12" Faxon barrel coming in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chowser,

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Superlative Arms adjustable/bleeder gas block
Seekins 10" MCSR handguard
12" Faxon barrel and bolt
Primary Arms 2.5X

of course using my AAC 762SDN6.

Will test fire this when I get to work on Wednesday.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mostly this would be for long range steel fun,

You might want to hold for a while and look at the .224 Valkyrie coming out. If the numbers are correct, it beats out the 6.5 Grendel at long distance and is nipping at the heels of the 6.5 Creedmoor. A 90 gr hunting bullet would work on hogs. One of the best 6.8 bullets is the Speer 90 gr Gold Dot used in Federal's XM68 ammo. The 90 gr bullets for the Valkyrie will likely be similar. Federal's also announced they'll have a 100 gr bullet for the Valkyrie. Barrels for the Valkyrie should be coming out in in January, 2018. Brass shouldn't be a problem since Federal is behind the round. Plus, could easily convert 6.8 brass for the round.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post