SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Loose A2 handguards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loose A2 handguards Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
I have an old mil-spec A2 upper that has a fairly loose hand guard end cap (triangular) that has copious side to side movement. This makes for a fairly annoying level of rattle. Anyone know of a quick fix with a shim or the like? Research shows that this is almost universal with the original full length A2's, and remedies abound on the webz, but I thought I'd ask the SF brain trust for the best option...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
we use to just shim them with sticky shim stuff that we also used to time the flash hider/compensator...

vaguely I think it was called a peel washer.....I could be wrong. it's been 20 years or so....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I knew someone would chime in eventually; I thought about using a crush washer (same as peel I suspect) but the clearance is fractional. My other "fix" thought was brazing the cap to the barrel as it would be minimally intrusive. That, or living with the battle rattle.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post