SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK's - what to get & your experience?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK's - what to get & your experience? Login/Join 
posted
So I want an AK or technically an AKM. This is my first entry into combloc weapons other than a Norinco SKS that I inherited. I like the SKS and so I am now looking to add an AK to the collection. I really don't want to spend Arsenal money on it and would rather get something value priced that will last and change accessories around until I have something that I like. Will start with stock furniture and irons and then add optics and other upgrades as I get used to it.

I have watched and read just about everything on the AKOU channel & website and am leaning toward a WASR 10 from Atlantic Firearms.

So for those who have AKs, what do you recommend and why? Where to buy? Any other information to know?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had a few over the years and have never had a problem with any of them. I had a WASR,Bulgarian and a Yugo and all functioned perfectly. Accuracy is not bad among them,nothing like an ar-15 but they are not meant to) and ammo. is cheap. The problems you might have are common with the rifle-canted sights/block, mag. well cuts/issues,etc., but usually don't cause issues with functioning. Hard to say where you will find the best deals.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
The new Arsenal SLR107R isn't much more than a WASR. I think I paid $779 for mine.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original Saigas imported almost 17 years ago by EAA.
Shot many a thousands of rounds with it in that “sporting” setup and it was great.
Got on the 922r bandwagon and converted it. Worlds better.

You can find them floating out their unconverted and converted. Mine has been great and is pretty much Russian still if that makes a difference.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have one of the original Saigas imported almost 17 years ago by EAA.

Nice. Me too.

Mine was later converted by Krebs Custom into one of their AK-103K rifles.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
My son bought an American (Century Arms?) made under-folder. It's fun to shoot, but after awhile, it starts to hurt.

The compact size was hard to resist.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, I thought I wanted an underfolder. Then I fired one, and quickly changed my mind. Looks cool, but not the most comfortable or conducive to accurate shooting.

One of the various modern side-folding stocks is much more practical and comfortable, if you want a compact AK.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is value priced? I would recommend spending more initially to get what you want up front. Accessories are just that - accessories.

I have a Rifle Dynamics AK built by Jim Fuller in 2012. Not cheap - but I have 10,000 rounds through it without a hitch and other than the initial cleaning - ran it 6K before cleaning it. This is 2" rifle with irons (shouldered) - which is typically one of the detractors with AK's.

You can spend as little or as much as you want on an AK - and not be disappointed either way.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments so far. I didn't realize the Arsenal 107s could be had in the $800 range. The problem is finding one so far. Value priced for me is $850 or less. I'll add the Saiga to the list as well. The WASR 10 are readily available but it seems like they and AKs in general can be luck of the draw on canted sights and other issues.

This is really just going to be a learning experience. I take classes/training regularly and am proficient with an AR so just wanting to change things up and take some carbine classes out to 400yds with an AK. Thought about doing it with the SKS but then tried loading with stripper clips repeatedly while on the move and that was not fun and would require too much practice. So my thoughts turned to an AK. I just want one that runs and I don't want to end up screwing with it to make run. Just a shooter with decent accuracy. I am fully aware of the accuracy vs. an AR.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started cheap and then after battling lots of issues I just gave up. Went arsenal and have been happy across quite a few of them. Not perfect I had one that had issues, but I sent it to them and they fixed it asap. I can't see any reason to go lower in quality unless you enjoy fixing stuff.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
My experience is probably not easy to replicate these days, but all three of my AKs were built on parts kits. This was back in the day when you could get parts kits for, depending on what they were, $80 bucks.

Got a Romy G kit, a Polish PKMS kit and a Tantal kit, all for, IIRC, just over $500. Nodak receivers, some compliance parts and a smith to build them and I think each gun came out to the tune of $600. Again, probably not something you can do today now that parts kits dried up and the whole barrel ban thing, but I enjoyed getting exactly what I wanted right out of the gate.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
WHY IS THIS THREAD LACKING PICS????

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
Unless you run across a good deal on an Arsenal, ( that you can lay hands on and visually inspect, like any prospective AK, ) that WASR 10 you're looking at on Atlantic's site would probably suit your needs just fine.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by l33571:
The WASR 10 are readily available but it seems like they and AKs in general can be luck of the draw on canted sights and other issues.

You correct it can be difficult to get one without canted sights. I wouldn't buy one unless I could check it out in person. The only brand I've seen that had very few problem is Arsenal. Well worth the extra $$$ you pay for one. I was able to check out both WASR's and Century Yugo's and had to go thru at least a half dozen of each before I found one without canted front sights.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Canted front sights are one thing, but relatively easy to fix if the rear sights aren't canted. Canted rear sights can be a nickle-plated PITA. A slight bit of cant may be fixable or at least something that can be ameliorated; a lot of cant is something you're stuck with.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I also have been toying with an entry to the AK world. Read horror stories about what to avoid and such.

Kind of narrowing it down to Arsenal to stay away from trouble. However, there is a consigned new milled DDI AK for $799 with wood furniture.

What do you AK expert say? I've been told that DDI were good guns until Palmetto bought them.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have a WASR-10 from Atlantic and it’s been great. No issues though not many rounds through it yet. I think it was about $679 shipped. The new ones are very well fit and finished. They have not had an issue with canted sights for a while now. Atlantic does a quality control check anyway before shipping.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn’t buy without inspecting first. Some years back I bought a WASR under folder at my LGS. I didn’t notice at the time the bolt and receiver serial numbers on the rifle did not match. It had headspace problems as a result and the bolt wouldn’t close on a cartridge. My fault for not noticing I guess. Took some work by gunsmith to correct.

I now have a Romy parts kit on a Nodak receiver that works very well. I recently changed to Magpul furniture and am very pleased with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike748,

Posts: 241 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:

Sure... why not:

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post