SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    AK's - what to get & your experience?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

AK's - what to get & your experience? Login/Join 
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
WHY IS THIS THREAD LACKING PICS????

Well, you asked for it.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nice safe queen, Dan. You should go put a few rounds through it for a change.

(Preferably at 600 rounds/minute. Big Grin)

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Nice safe queen, Dan. You should go put a few rounds through it for a change.
(Preferably at 600 rounds/minute. Big Grin)

From a few years ago:

1:14 into the video

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MG34_Dan,

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
OP - I just started buying / shooting AKs a year or so back. I was leaning toward a WASR but after seeing reviews and recommendations from folks more knowledgeable than I, I went with the Vepr FM as my first (top). The next time I got ready to buy the WASR, the Polish WBP CG1 became available so I figured I better jump on that one while I could (bottom). Both were purchased from Atlantic Firearms. With that said, for a value priced AK, I think you are on the right track with the WASR.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice & pictures! I ended up finding a Mak90 for sale locally. Picked it up with 24 mags & 50 cal ammo can full of ammo.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well hey, something nice found you!

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That will serve you well. Good score.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
I ended up finding a Mak90 for sale locally.

Very nice. A great choice, and a great package deal.

Posts: 32507 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Hopefully I'll get a chance to shoot and zero the irons on Friday!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Norincos all the way.
(MAC90's are great)

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I went through several comblock guns. A couple of yugo's. I just didn't warm up to them. Then I got a Russian Saiga. It was the newer ones with the covered barrel threads and plastic furniture. I replaced the plastic with wood, curt off the cover and threaded the barrel for a flash hider and got this. Shoots great!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Need to get a pic of it, but many years ago bought a "collector's grade" Polish underfolder kit (forget the source), then had it built up by an outfit prior to them getting their own reality show (and since jail time I understand). Anyhow, as others have said it looks awesome and shoots great, but isn't comfortable with that underfolder stock. I also have a second kit still sitting in the safe waiting to get built up.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I looked at AK's pretty good for a while and was searching for a milled Bulgarian for a while. Then I ran across a 556R. I have never looked back. I may revisit them in the future. Now that I have a few spare parts for my 556r, I am not so worried about lots of rounds down range.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Novice Elk Harvester
Picture of ronnied316
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vincent317:
OP - I just started buying / shooting AKs a year or so back. I was leaning toward a WASR but after seeing reviews and recommendations from folks more knowledgeable than I, I went with the Vepr FM as my first (top). The next time I got ready to buy the WASR, the Polish WBP CG1 became available so I figured I better jump on that one while I could (bottom). Both were purchased from Atlantic Firearms. With that said, for a value priced AK, I think you are on the right track with the WASR.

vincent317,

How do you like that Polish WBP CG1? I contacted Atlantic, and they said they should have more sometime in the fall, and I'm thinking that's an AK I'd like to have. Is she a good shooter?

"SUCCESS only comes before WORK in the dictionary"

Posts: 412 | Location: Kitsap Peninsula, WA | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:

From a few years ago:

The posts a video from 13 years ago! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Wink

Nice stuff MG34_Dan!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by MG34_Dan:
From a few years ago:

The posts a video from 13 years ago! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
Wink
Nice stuff MG34_Dan!

It's the only video we ever took of it running.

Picture of zeme05
posted Hide Post
Here's a few:

Posts: 1375 | Location: West Texas | Registered: February 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice collection zeme05. What's your favorite & why?

Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zeme05:
Here's a few:

Nice, I noticed the blocks at your fence, do you have a digging dog?

This thread remi ds me that I have been wanting to shoot my Saiga. The last time I took it to the range, I was denied categorically. The range prohibited AKs even if you showed them non steel ammo.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vincent317
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ronnied316:
quote:
Originally posted by vincent317:

vincent317,

How do you like that Polish WBP CG1? I contacted Atlantic, and they said they should have more sometime in the fall, and I'm thinking that's an AK I'd like to have. Is she a good shooter?

Great shooter and put together really well. Not as heavy as the Vepr and recoil is a bit more but accuracy at 100 yards is about the same when using irons on both. Atlantic has also made a WBP with a Morrissey receiver rather than the Childers that is a little cheaper. I've thought about picking one of those up to see if there is any difference.

Posts: 593 | Location: NC | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post