SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Daniel Defense Buttstock opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Daniel Defense Buttstock opinions Login/Join 
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted
I've recently added a beard to my daily carry list but the beard and my VLTOR Imod stock aren't getting along. As I'm searching the internet for new options I'm curious about DD's addition of a grippy surface to their stock. Since so few other stocks offer a grippy surface is this something that I need or is this just the latest fad or is it something to be avoided all together?

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that you need that 'grippy' surface, but the tight fit of their stock to the buffer tube is highly effective. The grip surface is nice for locking your cheek in place during firing.

While I don't have anything close to what ZZ Top has going on, I've yet to expereince any snags with my beard on their stocks and I use these daily at work.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
The magpul UBR is another great alternative.

https://www.magpul.com/products/ubr-collapsible-stock

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1523 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No more Mr. Nice Guy
Picture of cobrajet
posted Hide Post
I put the DD butstock on mine and have nothing but praise for it. Good cheek weld without going to one with an adjustable plate and it is the tightest fitting to the buffer tube I've seen from an adjustable stock, doesn't rattle like most I've seen (though I've not seen near as many different stocks as a lot of people in here). $60 or whatever I paid for it very well spent IMO.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The problem with our Liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, it's that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan

Posts: 12401 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: November 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just put a piece of tape on the joint of the cheekpiece on your existing stock. Hell, Vltor has stickers with their logo on it that would fit the cheekpiece. They include them with their stocks and other larger accessories.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
DD gets away with a snug fit because they control production on their own tubes.

Any mislpec tube should work with DD stocks, but some might be snugger than others.

If you like the aesthetics of the DD stocks, go for it. I'm not a big fan off the "my face got run over" look from the tire-tread they put on the top of the stock, when you pull your cheek away from the stock. Other than that, they are not bad stocks.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I love Daniel Defense products but to me, their AR stock looks cheesy. Don't like it, not one bit. It may be a great stock, but I'll never find out. Fugly

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like them fine but the matching grip doesn't have a very good storage system. You need a tool to pop the cover off and the cover itself is made of a very soft plastic which gets torn up a little more each time you pop it off. The integral trigger guard can be an issue with some lowers, as well.

Not an issue if you don't use that grip storage space but I've become spoiled by the magpul oil bottle solution or otherwise putting a small bottle of oil in the grip. Or using that space to stash arm brace/sbr paperwork.

Because of this I still prefer the Magpul CTR stock and Miad grip as my "go to" furniture. Good value picked up during sales, which are common.

Posts: 221 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Magpul SL (slimline) stock is the most wiggle free and beard friendly unit I've tried. And now hey have a SL storage model

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Unless you simply just want to buy another stock, I'd tape it for sure...love my Vltor E mod. I wonder if there is some sort of clear 3M type film that could be used...no gummy duct tape residue and a more clean look. The DD seems decent and well made but I've only handled them in the store.

Posts: 4518 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I ended up ordering a B5 SOPMOD and so far the beard and the new stock are getting along. I haven't made it to the range yet but just shouldering the rifle seems to feel good. Thanks for the opinions and insight everyone.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I love Daniel Defense products but to me, their AR stock looks cheesy. Don't like it, not one bit. It may be a great stock, but I'll never find out. Fugly

Agreed, I just walked out of the "pusher place" with a new DDM4V7 in Gray cerakote yesterday. Love everything about the rifle, but the look of the stock. I am impressed with the fit, and lack of wiggle, but I am not sure I can live with the odd looking design.

I shave most days due to the office job, but I remember my VLTOR stock being quite bad on a beard. Finish a string of shots and realize my beard is/was wrapped up in those little teeth.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Agreed, I just walked out of the "pusher place" with a new DDM4V7 in Gray cerakote yesterday. Love everything about the rifle, but the look of the stock.

B5 and Magpul both make grey stocks. I would check there. If you liked the Vltor stocks, you might like the B5's SOPMOD or Bravo (Bravo is the less expensive version).

Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
quote:
Originally posted by matthew03:
Agreed, I just walked out of the "pusher place" with a new DDM4V7 in Gray cerakote yesterday. Love everything about the rifle, but the look of the stock.

B5 and Magpul both make grey stocks. I would check there. If you liked the Vltor stocks, you might like the B5's SOPMOD or Bravo (Bravo is the less expensive version).

If you recall from your Colt thread, LDD, I had planned on getting the new mid length Colt. DD's were on an excellent sale, and I couldn't help myself. Stuck a MRO on it this afternoon; I'm happy.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
While I'm glad we have both options, I would buy a DD over the Colt with the same features. I think you got the better gun.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:
While I'm glad we have both options, I would buy a DD over the Colt with the same features. I think you got the better gun.

This

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post