SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What am I missing?? M400 TREAD
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What am I missing?? M400 TREAD Login/Join 
Picture of jimdick
posted
So with it looking likely that Sleepy Joe is going to follow through on his “promise” to restrict the Second Amendment liberties, so I decided I should buy something before it was “too late”. I gave my AR-15 to my older son a few years ago, so I figured I would replace it.

In looking around, I was shocked to see how few AR’s were available. Big stores like Bud’s had zero in stock (under $5,000)! Then I saw that Gilbert’s had the M400 TREAD available, but only 10 of them. It was a bit higher than “normal”, but not bad so I ordered one.

Here’s what I don’t get: with stock so low, they still have 4 available nearly two weeks later. And CDNN just included the TREAD in their latest flyer for $200 above the Gilbert’s price. Why are they still on the shelf? They should have flown off like the shelf like hot cakes!

I just don’t understand why, in such a tight market, a decent deal on a great rifle hasn’t sold out in a couple of hours. Am I missing something??

S&W M&P 9C -- Ruger KP93
CZ SP-01 Tactical --KelTec P32
Beretta PX 4 Storm 9mm -- Beretta 92G Vertec -- Beretta M9 -- Beretta 92 Billennium
Colt M-1911 (NOT an A1!) -- RIA 1911 Full Size .45 ACP
Sig P226, M400 TREAD

Posts: 455 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I can’t say anything about that particular rifle, but I disagree that ARs are in short supply these days. It seems that’s more true of the higher-priced spreads, but I believe that the demand in general has died down to a significant degree. It may be that some suppliers like Bud’s sell out faster simply because they’re the places people look first. For example, I’d never heard of Gilbert’s and therefore would have never known what they had in stock. And perhaps another factor is that many people are in the “I’ll never pay xxx for an AR” camp and are under the (delusional, IMO) belief that things are going to return to some sort of pre-COVID-19 or pre-Democratocracy “normal” and there will be a glut of the guns as there was four years ago.

If I needed another MSR and believed that I could own and use it without legal infringement in the foreseeable future, I would definitely be buying now—just as I did when I last thought I could predict the future.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
I was in my local shop today and he had a rack of ARs. Including a couple of really cool AR shotguns. And several CZ Scorpions and some SA Saint pistols. He's had the CZs for quite awhile. He had a lot of magazines available, too, for ARs, Glocks and Sigs.

I agree with sigfreund. I think the demand is dying down, for both guns and ammo. I'm getting notices most week days, sometime multiple notices a day, for ammo. In fact, I've stopped buying ammo because I am well stocked now. I just bought another 3 boxes of .30-30 yesterday. If I get anymore anytime soon, except .270 and .45-70, I'll pass.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went into my LGS last week, and it also seemed to have a decent stock of ARs. I think supply is catching up, and demand is dropping a bit because most people have what they need, plus you can’t find ammo for them anyway.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimdick:
So with it looking likely that Sleepy Joe is going to follow through on his “promise” to restrict the Second Amendment liberties, so I decided I should buy something before it was “too late”. I gave my AR-15 to my older son a few years ago, so I figured I would replace it.

In looking around, I was shocked to see how few AR’s were available. Big stores like Bud’s had zero in stock (under $5,000)! Then I saw that Gilbert’s had the M400 TREAD available, but only 10 of them. It was a bit higher than “normal”, but not bad so I ordered one.

Here’s what I don’t get: with stock so low, they still have 4 available nearly two weeks later. And CDNN just included the TREAD in their latest flyer for $200 above the Gilbert’s price. Why are they still on the shelf? They should have flown off like the shelf like hot cakes!

I just don’t understand why, in such a tight market, a decent deal on a great rifle hasn’t sold out in a couple of hours. Am I missing something??

Handguns have been and remain the big sellers, over rifles and shotguns, so it's not necessarily out of the ordinary to see an AR or other semi auto rifles in stock.

I'm not seeing the numbers around here of guns in stock that others are speaking of in their areas though. For example, my LGS is the Master Dealer in area for DD and we don't have a single one on the shelf.. and they're just fifteen minutes up the road. We had two AR rifles and one AR pistol, a couple of SA SOCOM-16s and a CAI VZ58. One of the ARs went on layaway, while three handguns were sold.

What I can't understand is how people, particularly folks who've owned guns for a while, are only just now realizing the extreme firearms/ammo/accessory demand that's been ongoing for the better part of a year now. I had a customer yesterday who told us he was utterly shocked when he went to a range about two weeks ago and saw the empty gun racks/cases and shelves nearly bare of ammo. What's the address to the rock y'all have been living under?! I mean, seriously! Does the Pony Express not make it out there? Is the local telegraph machine down? Confused

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I was in a local shop yesterday to have some sights replaced on a pistol slide, and they had a Benelli hunting shotgun, half a dozen Savage Axis bolt guns, a couple of single action .22 revolvers, two Highpoints and half a dozen Glocks. The rest of the cases were empty.

The smith there was building two ARs for customers from parts.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12774 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I would agree with the proposition that things may be quieting down. Armalite carbines from their old Eagle Arms production line (but branded Armalite) have been floating around at $799, and a few S&W M&P carbines have been available lately as well. Some Glocks and P320s have been on ChodeChoker at anything from high to astronomical prices without any bids at all. Then again, I have been hoping for a return to what my cheapskate self considers "sanity" for a while, so that may be coloring my interpretation of what I'm seeing.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite LGS had 3 different models of the VP9 in stock on
Tuesday, plus a P210, Shields, Hellcat, CZs etc. No ARs however.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
Sportsmans Warehouse online has had the Colt M4 or 6920 Magpul in stock off and on about weekly, you just need to check often. They update their sites daily, sometimes multiple times daily. They also have the Sig M400 and even LWRC's fairly often.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The supply of ARs is catching back up, especially at the lower end (what would normally be your $600-800 M4 clone guns).

My shop recently got an LWRC DI gun and some Geisselle Super Dutys rifles and pistols.

The LWRC was one of ten that the shop placed an order for months ago. So things are coming back in stock.

At the beginning of the panic, someone asked SIG about MPX production and they stated that they'd refocused their production to items that weren't as niche as the MPX. Made sense at the time, so I would expect ARs to begin coming back. Cheap guns, then expensive guns, and finally parts.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Elk County Arms and Ammo has mil-spec Colt 6920s in stock, and has had them for months. Prices are a little high, but not terrible in the current environment. I've seen them much higher.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
Elk County Arms and Ammo has mil-spec Colt 6920s in stock, and has had them for months. Prices are a little high, but not terrible in the current environment. I've seen them much higher.

new roll mark CR serial or old style? new style is going for $1199 street....funny because the older style people didn't buy at $799 are now going for double. Gun buyers are a fickle bunch.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
new roll mark CR serial or old style?

Couldn't tell you. Just saw them and noted they've been there for awhile. Even at $1399, I would have thought the rubes would have snapped them up.