SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Inexpensive laser rangerfinders?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inexpensive laser rangerfinders? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Any recommendations? Something basic and inexpensive, with a reputation for reliability.

Not for use at great distances

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prestoked
posted Hide Post
Bushnell G Force DX. Excellent value (~$260), size and features. I find myself using it more than my ($$$$) Leica.

*Sigs, HKs, S&W PerfCntr, Caspian, Dan Wessons, Clark, Wilson Combat, Kahrs, CZ SP01 Shadow, Desert Eagle, Les Baers, Ed Brown, Pythons*

NRA Benefactor Member
U.S.M.C.

Posts: 224 | Location: Sacramento, California | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
My Leupold RX1000 and Sig Kilo 2000 have been perfectly reliable. The Sig for 2 years, the Leupold for 4-5?

Shoot me an email and I'll be happy to get something for you at cost.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
I've been hearing great things about sig kilos, and they are economical. Leica also makes fantastic monocular rangefinders, and offers several models with varying max distances. A used 1200 would be very reasonable ($2-300) and very accurate.

Bushnell offers some as well that I hear pretty good things about for shorter (under 1000 yards) distances.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
I've been very happy with my Bushnell. Admittedly I use it more on the golf course than the range, but it's never failed in either instance. The farthest I've attempted to range a target is 500 yards, but it seems like it could go well beyond that.

ETA: My model is the Tour V3. It claims a range of 1,000 yards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jaaron11,

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5281 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I picked up a lightly used Nikon ProStaff 550 for <$100 on eBay. That is more than adequate for my uses with our short northern New England distances. It is 6x which is about the most magnification I can handhold and keep it on the target I am ranging.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sau...ds=laser+rangefinder

Kilo 850.

I bought this one some time ago before the SIG LRF's were widely available. It works fine. I have used it out to 1050 Yards. ON the stated distance courses, it was within 1 yard +/- of the known target distance.

https://www.amazon.com/Laser-R...ds=laser+rangefinder

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Bushnell in Walmart for around $150, trying to find the model, it's similar to the DX1000 but is only good to 800M. Considering my longest shots are around 300m it has been good.

Haven't used it much since I worked up a range card for our hunting lease but it has worked just fine.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
One thing I always caution people about rangefinders is that in my experience their maximum effective range ratings are usually dependent on having ideal reflectors for the laser. I have a higher priced unit that’s rated to 2500 meters, but I’ve found it difficult to get readings beyond 2000 yards even under ideal conditions. Depending on the target it can be a lot less. In addition, to get readings at maximum rated ranges it’s usually necessary to have the unit on a steady mount like a tripod or something similar. Holding rangefinders by hand when taking readings usually reduces their effective range significantly.

My point is that if we get an inexpensive rangefinder that’s rated only to the maximum range we might need it for, we may be disappointed.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
One thing I always caution people about rangefinders is that in my experience their maximum effective range ratings are usually dependent on having ideal reflectors for the laser. I have a higher priced unit that’s rated to 2500 meters, but I’ve found it difficult to get readings beyond 2000 yards even under ideal conditions. Depending on the target it can be a lot less. In addition, to get readings at maximum rated ranges it’s usually necessary to have the unit on a steady mount like a tripod or something similar. Holding rangefinders by hand when taking readings usually reduces their effective range significantly.

My point is that if we get an inexpensive rangefinder that’s rated only to the maximum range we might need it for, we may be disappointed.

Ive noticed this as well. During hutning season, to kill time, I play "how far can range soemthing". Furthest to date, hand held with the Kilo 2000 was 1638. Not saying it could go furhter just that at distanace it requires larger objects to bounce off of.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sig Kilo series seems to be the best combination of features and price I've read up on.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I had a Bushnell Yardarge Pro rated for up to 500 yards and this has been my experience as well. The reflectivity of the target really makes all the difference as to how accurate the measurement is, and if there is something that is more reflective than the target nearby it can throw the range off.

I took it my rangefinder on my regular walks and, as you noted, ranged various targets and it wasn't hard to "miss" hand holding the unit. The issue is that you are not sure if the target you're aiming at is the range the unit is giving, or if it is pinging off another more reflective object nearby.

Still, I found that my unit got me in the ballpark.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have a Redfield 600 and for $160 ish I think I paid, it's been great. I haven't tested it's limits though as I shoot usually sub 100 yds max.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Bushnell Scout 1000 ARC for hunting for about 5 years now. It's great for that use as its light and compact. I have used it to range reliably on non-reflective targets out to about 500 yards which is plenty for my hunting needs to date. It was ~$240 at the time I bought it.

I also have a Bushnell 1-Mile rangefinder for longer distances. Much larger and more expensive of course but I have used it to range out to 1200 yards successfully if it's mounted on a stable tripod.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Transplanted Hillbilly
Picture of Fire Away
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
https://www.amazon.com/Sig-Sau...ds=laser+rangefinder

Kilo 850.

I bought this one some time ago before the SIG LRF's were widely available. It works fine. I have used it out to 1050 Yards. ON the stated distance courses, it was within 1 yard +/- of the known target distance.

https://www.amazon.com/Laser-R...ds=laser+rangefinder

RMD

I have one of these as well and it is a lot of bang for the buck.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Central Pennsylvania | Registered: December 08, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to let you guys know that forum member henryaz graciously gave me a Leupold rangefinder that he no longer uses. Henry also came through last year with an elusive AC adapter for my Sony radio.

Henry, how is it that you don't yet have a CUT? Even if you had not reached your ten year anniversary, you certainly qualify for one.

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Henry, how is it that you don't yet have a CUT? Even if you had not reached your ten year anniversary, you certainly qualify for one.

Thanks for the thought, but I have a CUT. I requested it right after my 10th anniversary passed. It is sort of a stealth CUT, camouflaged so well you didn't even notice it Smile I prefer to stay below the radar.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
hats off to Henry , you got to love most of those Arizonut's

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
Thanks for the thought, but I have a CUT. I requested it right after my 10th anniversary passed. It is sort of a stealth CUT, camouflaged so well you didn't even notice it Smile I prefer to stay below the radar.
Oh, right. Of course, I forgot.