SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hornady tap or Speer gold dot 5.56
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady tap or Speer gold dot 5.56 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:

Didn't somebody say not long ago that BoneFrog is only selling to LEOs now?...

The www site does not say anything about LEO sales only. 62gr is sold out, 64gr is showing in stock at $65/100.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.co...t-soft-point-cs24450

Here's 62gr at $16.99/bx:

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...-24445sp-p-3826.aspx

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

The www site does not say anything about LEO sales only. 62gr is sold out, 64gr is showing in stock at $65/100.

https://www.bonefroggunclub.co...t-soft-point-cs24450

Here's 62gr at $16.99/bx:

https://www.targetsportsusa.co...-24445sp-p-3826.aspx

I couldn't find anything on the site either, except for one FAQ that talks about 50 round boxes of 9mm 124gr HST and GD being LE only currently, and others likely to be similarly restricted in the future. How FAR in the future, it doesn't say. But it doesn't say anything about 20 round boxes of GDSP, so I went ahead and ordered some and it didn't object, so I guess they're still unrestricted (unless you're in Kalifornia).

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does the Federal PowerShok 223 64 gr stack up against the Gold Dots in terms of performance? It’s out of stock at Sgammo I just noticed Frown

It appears to be less expensive than the Gold Dots.

I hope I didn’t miss it if already asked and answered.

Posts: 3953 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speer Gold Dot is a very good barrier blind bullet. Hornaday TAP barrier is now loaded with a GMX bullet, which has a slight edge over Gokd Dot. Honestly either will suit you fine and both are sufficiently barrier blind for most any civilian need (real or conceptual).

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend standard 64 grain, non bonded soft points from Federal and Winchester for general home defense. If a bonded round is not needed, then don’t buy one. The soft points break up pretty rapidly through building materials for missed shots, unlike bonded Gold Dots. I no longer police so don’t have to worry about windshields and steel doors. I removed all of the Gold Dot .223 rounds from my home defense carbines and now use Powershok 64 grain non bonded. It has good terminal performance and is safer for bystanders.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
...I removed all of the Gold Dot .223 rounds from my home defense carbines and now use Powershok 64 grain non bonded. It has good terminal performance and is safer for bystanders.

Powershok is $11.99 bx, looks like it may be $6.99 with a rebate. And free shipping for more 10 boxes.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...oint-20rds-223l.html

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Now that we’re getting into the question of whether there are better 223 loads for home defense than a bonded bullet like the Gold Dot, then I would say there definitely are.

The fact is that any 223 bullet delivered anywhere close to the center of a BG’s body will convince him that he should be somewhere else bothering other people—if, of course, he is still in a condition to be convinced of anything. But it’s also a fact that the more of the bullet’s energy is delivered within a certain range of penetration depths, the better. And then there is the issue of what happens if a bullet goes all the way through the target—or more commonly—misses it entirely. LEOs or the military who might be engaging targets behind cover should, I believe, compromise between good energy transfer to a living target and penetration through barriers. Everyone else …?

Just based on my limited, not-totally-realistic media testing of several years ago, if I knew there would be no significant barriers like automotive glass or steel to defeat, I would grab one of the magazines I have loaded with the Hornady 75 grain FPD load, and there are probably better ones than that today.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general nobody gets to pick all the circumstances for using defensive ammo. The bonded ammo is so much better in some areas and literally has no downsides that I can't imagine choosing anything else. FWIW>

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
Gold Dot is what I use

Posts: 1057 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:

I couldn't find anything on the site either, except for one FAQ that talks about 50 round boxes of 9mm 124gr HST and GD being LE only currently, and others likely to be similarly restricted in the future. How FAR in the future, it doesn't say. But it doesn't say anything about 20 round boxes of GDSP, so I went ahead and ordered some and it didn't object, so I guess they're still unrestricted (unless you're in Kalifornia).

And, it arrived yesterday. Cool

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info fellows. I went with Speer 64g soft point.

Posts: 1046 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post