SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Better AR Trigger
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better AR Trigger Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
The Geissele / ALG thread got me thinking about improving the trigger pull on my AR. I have a Sig M-400. Trigger is combat good, but nothing compared to a hunting rifle. I am not interested in spending on a Geissele even at 20% off, and I am no one's definition of an "Operator" so keeping it Mil-Spec is not an issue for me.

A couple of questions:

Does the ALG Advanced Combat Trigger make that much difference?

Does the ACT come with both the tan spring and the purple spring, or does the purple spring need to be ordered separately for a lighter pull?

Is there a better option out there in the $60 to $100 dollar range?

Thanks.

A

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Both the QMS and ACT triggers from ALG are worth the asking price. I own several of each. Were I you, I'd take advantage of the sale and buy an ACT. You will not be disappointed. At 20%off the QMS would cost you just over 40 bucks, and with free shipping. That's a deal.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. Do you have an opinion on spring weight?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
My ACT trigger came with 2 springs. I put the 4.5 lb in and it has functioned 100% on my handloads with CCI primers.

On my last build, I used the PSA enhanced trigger (similar to the ACT), and I really can't tell the difference, other than a slightly heavier trigger pull. It only came with one spring (I think 6.5 lbs). If you watch the PSA website, you can usually catch them on sale for $29.95. If I were going to build another AR, this is the trigger group I would use.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've used the PSA ECT triggers in some builds, it's nice and smooth. Not as light as the ACT though. For me, at the minimum, I would get the QMS.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Yes. Stay away from the PURPLE SPRANG!!

Mil-spec hammer spring only.

Make sure you grease the sear engagement surfaces.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I have the QMS and love it. Just a nice single action smooth pull.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Hypertouch 24e and love it.

Posts: 190 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: January 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have not used the ALG triggers but I have a Geissele SSA and it is very good.

I recently sprung for a Larue MBT and it is slightly better, but only slightly.

I hear high praise for the ALG triggers so I expect you will be happy with it.

I have never handled an AR-15 that didn't benefit from a better-then-standard trigger.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blfuller
posted Hide Post
The only thing that comes close to the ACT is the BCM PNT trigger (Polished Nickel Teflon). You don't get the extra spring and the pins are not plated but they are similar. ALG is running a 20% off sale for Memorial Day.

Posts: 229 | Location: Eastern Washington State (dry side) | Registered: May 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Ordered. Thank y'all.

posted Hide Post
I have a Geissele SSA and an ALG ACT trigger. The ACT is a nice upgrade from the typical mil-spec trigger. My Sig M400 came with a very poor trigger, so I replaced it with an SSA. In my opinion, the SSA is definitely a step up from the ACT if you like a two-stage trigger with a very crisp break. You can't go wrong either way. It just depends upon how much you are willing to pay.

Posts: 655 | Location: Northern Colorado, USA | Registered: September 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the Rock River two stage National Match trigger. I have it in two of my 4 ARs. My Sig M400 came with a great 2 stage trigger, so I didn't mess with it.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I'm a fan of the Rock River two stage National Match trigger. I have it in two of my 4 ARs. My Sig M400 came with a great 2 stage trigger, so I didn't mess with it.

I was just about to ask about this trigger...since I'm somewhat new to the AR thing, is there a big difference between a single stage trigger and a two stage trigger in practical everyday shooting?

AR15sales.com have them for $88 shipped.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ed308
posted Hide Post
Not a fan of the ALG ACT. Won't buy another one. The LaRue's 2 stage MBT is my current favorite. $99 when you can get them on sale. Or $124.99 for the "I can wait" price.

Posts: 605 | Location: DFW Area | Registered: January 12, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Yes. Stay away from the PURPLE SPRANG!!

Mil-spec hammer spring only.

Make sure you grease the sear engagement surfaces.

SPOT on advice. I have the ALG and comparable BCM polished triggers. They feel identical. I use the stronger spring as well. I would rather have 100% ignition than save 0.5lb on the weight.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scuttlebutt
posted Hide Post
I've tried a few of the PSA EPT (enhanced polished trigger) and the Right to Bear Nickel Teflon Trigger kits and the latter is superior for creep and smoothness.I measured 5 to 5 1/2 pounds on the EPT and 4lb and 4 1/4 lb on the Right to Bear kits.I lubed all parts with Rydol trigger grease.They feel very good for a mil-spec type single stage trigger for defense use.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.A great value for $37.95 from Toms Tactical imho

I removed the PSA EPT trigger kits and threw them in my spare parts bin.

"The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese !"

Posts: 1221 | Location: Warner,N.H. | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the late reply. The two stage trigger helps if you are also used to shooting an M1 Garand. Same trigger feel. It's really just personal preference, but I've never shot a RRA rifle that had a bad trigger, not even their 9mm ARs which is a single stage, but still feels like a double.

Posts: 4648 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post