SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do we like for AR scope mounts?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we like for AR scope mounts? Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
What do we like for AR scope mounts? I’m looking to mount a Leopold with a 30 mm tube on my Barrett REC7. I know the Larue mounts are good, but what else would you look at, without breaking the bank? Anyone have any experience with the Aero Precision mounts? Thanks in advance!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There are so many good choices. I happen to like the bobro ones, but realistically I started with them only because they make one for the SCAR that is properly designed. But now a have quite a few all very satisfactory. Highly recommended as Larue alternative.
Larue is also fine (I have a couple of LT104's that have been abused) and work well.
I have a nightforce on a couple of guns and its great if you don't want QD.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of Burris PEPR mount and a Primary Arms deluxe mount. Both hold my scopes and stay zeroed. I personally do not use the quick detach mounts or use backup sights. I'm not going into combat and if my scope or mount messes up, I may lose a shot at a piece of steel, paper or possibly a deer.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I’m using an Aero with my Kahles 1-6x. Picked it to keep the upper (DD M4 V11 LW) as light as possible.

I like it, flawless so far, after ~3 years of use.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mounts are not a place to skimp. I prefer Geissele, Nightforce, and Spuhr. The era-tac ultralight is also very nice. I had a Steiner m1-4x mounted in one years ago. Aero has been known to be a bit less than robust. Fine if you’re just using for the range, but if you plan to knock the rifle around it may be better to choose another option. Pick up Geissele when they run their sales (they have one about to end).

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
Mounts are not a place to skimp. I prefer Geissele, Nightforce, and Spuhr.
This.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I just noticed there’s an ADM Scout mount in the classifieds. The website states it can be used on anything but was designed for small spaces. It only has one locking lever as well?
Getting ready to check out the geissele sale!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a few ADM mounts and they are distinctly a cut below Bobro, Geissle, nightforce and Larue.
It may not matter. But the Geissle is on sale right now (act quickly) but remember its not QD if that matters.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
I have a few ADM mounts and they are distinctly a cut below Bobro, Geissle, nightforce and Larue.

Yep.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobro and Larue are my faves. I especially like the swag that Larue sends you with your order.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Warne?

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I've used a couple of Aero's. I've been well pleased with them for the cost. Well made & lightweight.

If you want a QD then some of the ADM, Larue or others may be what you are looking for.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I picked up a PEPR mount for my carbine, mostly because I want to be able to easily switch between glass and an RDS, and it was one of the least expensive QD options available. It turned out to be an example of "You get what you pay for." So far I've been unable to get both levers to lock in place when mounting the thing on the rifle. One locks fine, the other won't quite lock. A couple of shots and it's loose again.

I'm building what I hope will be a very accurate target, rockchuck and occasional 600 yard F-Class rifle now and I also need to decide on a mount for it. I'm just not sure if I need/want a QD mount. I'm only planning on shooting it with glass, so for that I don't need a QD mount, but QD might be nice for transport if the overall height of the rifle gets to be too tall for a case with the scope mounted. If I go that way it will probably be either Larue or Bobro. Don't think I'll go the PEPR route again.

Posts: 7266 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Of course you can find a case for glass mounted. If you don't need it then QD is silly. Get a decent mount (Geissle, nightforce, whatever) that is not QD and carry on.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Warne?

I use these on my Service Rifle,

definately a low speed, high drag use, but they work well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Warne?

I won an XSKEL mount from Warne in a match recently. Fondled a sample at a prior match, but my actual mount has not yet arrived in the mail. Warne mounts seemed reasonable enough, although I'm not certain I will put it on my best ARs that are built for long distance precision.

There a number of mounts that cost $100-ish, and I suspect many of them will be quite serviceable for many shooters. They should hold a reasonable zero for the effective life of the AR.

My shooting can be a little rough on rifles, therefore I am willing to spend a bit more for mounts. My mounts currently include Nightforce, Larue, GG&G, and JP. I like that ARs can be banged around, dropped, knocked over, rattled around during transportation, and still hold zero.

QD mounts are a nice concept, but I found that I really don't use the feature. I just mount the scope, zero it, and the whole assembly just stays put. Now when the inevitable scope rotation occurs as I slowly upgrade my best rifles for new optics, the older optics ripple through the remaining rifles. So then I do move a mount from one gun to another. But it doesn't really matter to me if that's done with a wrench or a flipping a QD lever -- I still have to re-zero the moved optic to the next rifle. Thus, I no longer buy QD mounts.

Posts: 7871 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
30mm Warne XSKEL is 6.7 ounces, which is lighter than most of the QD stuff- ADM, etc. The weight adds up, yes it does. I got over my obsession with QD mounts and now my ARs are a bit lighter. I like my Warne mounts, but I'm not a long distance shooter.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Warne?

I won an XSKEL mount from Warne in a match recently. Fondled a sample at a prior match, but my actual mount has not yet arrived in the mail. Warne mounts seemed reasonable enough, although I'm not certain I will put it on my best ARs that are built for long distance precision.

There a number of mounts that cost $100-ish, and I suspect many of them will be quite serviceable for many shooters. They should hold a reasonable zero for the effective life of the AR.

My shooting can be a little rough on rifles, therefore I am willing to spend a bit more for mounts. My mounts currently include Nightforce, Larue, GG&G, and JP. I like that ARs can be banged around, dropped, knocked over, rattled around during transportation, and still hold zero.

QD mounts are a nice concept, but I found that I really don't use the feature. I just mount the scope, zero it, and the whole assembly just stays put. Now when the inevitable scope rotation occurs as I slowly upgrade my best rifles for new optics, the older optics ripple through the remaining rifles. So then I do move a mount from one gun to another. But it doesn't really matter to me if that's done with a wrench or a flipping a QD lever -- I still have to re-zero the moved optic to the next rifle. Thus, I no longer buy QD mounts.

mine are just standard Warne rings,

I converted an A2 Service Rifle to a A4 type to use a scope and am also a nose on the charging handle shooter,

tried a couple sled type mounts, or rather one piece and could not get the scope far enough forward (I have the old standard free float tube, with A2 handguards on the gun)
so I doubled up 2 Warne mounts as far forward as they would go, and it allows the scope far enough out to work for me,

guessing it would hold up in an action type comp,, but it surely is good enough for High Power/Service Rifle matches

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
It may not matter. But the Geissle is on sale right now (act quickly) but remember its not QD if that matters.

I put an ADM QD clamp on my Atlas bipod after removing a Larue QD clamp because it was difficult to adjust the clamp tension (the bipod body covered most of the tension nut) and I had a couple of guns with rails of different enough sizes that I really needed to be able to adjust the tension easily.

In that context, I like the ADM QD clamp better than the Larue - easy lever operation, super easy tension adjustment.

I don't think I've used an ADM mount for optics, so I can't really comment about consistency, return-to-zero, etc.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Personally have had Larue and ADM, prefer ADM mounts. Far easier to adjust (I have the Atlas with ADM and it's great for moving from rifle to rifle).

I have gone to Geissele and Aadmount for higher end optics, since I too have come to the realization I don't move optics often, but the ADMs haven't let me down yet on scopes or RDS.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post