SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Best place to buy AR 15 mags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best place to buy AR 15 mags Login/Join 
posted
Upon suggestions from you guys, I acquired a Colt 6720 which came with one 20 round mag. I assume the 30 round mags fit as well but want to be certain. If that is correct what it the best source and type? Thanks

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.topgunsupply.com/o...ollower-12-pack.html

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a huge area of options and prices. Starting out I would get an inventory of GI al 30rd. mags. Many sources. PSA has D&T for $7.99 right now I think. I personally prefer the Okay ones but they are more expensive. These can be bought almost anywhere as well (see above link for a great vendor that supports Sigforum). If it has a cage code it is probably ok.
Once you have some inventory you can decide what you next prefer like polymer (magpul and others) or steel (HK and others), etc. etc.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Buy 10 of these for $79.99 shipped. They are D&H with PSA marked floorplates, legit milspec 30rd mags.

https://palmettostatearmory.co...m-magazine-8416.html

Okay/Surefeed 30rds are great too, but run about $10 each.

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/10...-round-magazine.html

I have mostly D&H in my training stash and mostly Okay / Surefeed in my storage box from a great deal bulk purchase several years ago. But functionally they are both great.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
D&H mags are legit, and the price is excellent. PSA frequently has deals on Magpul mags if you think plastic is fantastic...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Most of my mags came from PSA. I bought when they had them on sale and have a mix of D&H and Magpul as well as a mix of 30 and 20 round mags. 20 round mags are easier to use when shooting prone.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I'll echo what others have said, D&H mags are good mags and I have 3 to 1 vs. Magpuls. Palmetto State Armory is great place to buy, some type of AR mags are always on sale.

Gun Mag Warehouse is always my 2nd stop in looking for AR mags.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a mix of D&H and Magpul. I typically pay $7-$9 per for the D&H type and $10-$12 for Magpuls.

My advice would be to get the 10x D&Hs for $80 now and in the future whenever you order any gun related item add a mag or two to the cart until you have 20-25 at least.

20-25 mags may sound like a lot (for 1 AR) however; they can get damaged, only represent a ~$250 investment, are under constant theoretical threat of a state or federal ban and in the face of a realistic threat will sell out nationwide in ~24hrs. Buy 'em now while they are cheap...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I dont know about best but Primary arms has a bunch on sale. I like the lancers

https://www.primaryarms.com/

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also happen to like lancers. but if you are just starting out you need volume versus price and its 2:1 versus GI mags. get GI mags initially till you have a stockpile. you know like 100...

posted Hide Post
Best?
H&K puts out phenomenal products, including mags. HOWEVER- you're spending about $45 a mag.

I have a handful of Magpul mags that have yet to fail me. You can find them for $12-$16 a piece.

I've got a handful of Colt 20 and 30 rounds, again, no failures from those either.

Bulk? I like Bravo Company.

https://www.bravocompanyusa.co...Ar+magazine+&Submit=

Catch a sale, and you can get TEN 30rd mags for about $100.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8320 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the help. Going with the GI mags first and some higher end ones later.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
higher end ones

Honestly, there is no real need for the pimptasic HK / Lancers / etc.

About the highest end I get is some PMAG M3s for $12 (non-window). I just like having metal and poly options, but I hated Lancers (too slick, too hard to seat a full mag on a closed bolt).

And guess what? They all do the same thing -> feed ammunition into the weapon, so GI Aluminium have been working great for decades - just have enough that when one gives you issues, replace it.

Don't get me wrong, Lancers look great in photo shoots, but I gladly sold all of mine off and replaced them with D&H / NHMTG / OKAYs / PMAGS.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rhino. Appreciate the help.

posted Hide Post
I agree with Rhino. Pmags work quite well. USGI mags work quite well if they have anti-tilt followers.

I have a couple of Lancer mags -- they work just fine. But I don't see that they work better than my Pmags or USGI. Lancers do hold up better in some destructive test videos I've seen.

I've fired tens of thousands of rounds through ARs. I have retired 3 Pmags over the years.
- Two 30 rounders wouldn't drop free very well from two of my lowers. With a slight tug they came out, however. I threw the outer shells away and kept the springs and followers.
- One 20 rounder caused 3 separate double feeds during competition. I tossed the entire mag.

Understand that I have a boatload of mags, due to hi-capacity laws in my state. We were grandfathered on mags owned prior to the date the law became effective, therefore I went on a buying spree. The buying spree wasn't necessary -- my remaining Pmags work just fine.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I used to like Pmags, now, not so much, although their magazine coupler is the best of the bunch. For me, that's where the Pmags shine. The mag coupler is super-solid, plus the offside magazine has a dustcover on it. Makes a lot of sense for coupled magazines.

These days, I like Lancers and I like Okay Surefeed mags. The D&H magazines (formerly Labelle) are fine, but the feedlips of the D&H mags are bloody sharp. Plus, the last batch of D&H mags I bought from Palmetto have one of the floorplate lugs which don't actually contact the foorplate and therefore does not support it.
For reasons like this, I give the Okays the edge. I don't like the teflon-coated Okays. Seems like the coating is on the thick side. The phosphate Okay 30 rounders with Magpul followers are top notch. If I coud have only one style of AR magazine, this would be it. I install the Magpul ranger floorplates on my Okays that go in mag carriers. Makes them easier to grab.

I used to buy Okays from 44mag.com but they went out of business. Looks like Primary Arms has Okay Surefeeds in stock. If Okays were good enough for Colt, they're good enough for me. All my Okays have the Magpul follower. Avoid the E2 Okays. No point in the "improvements", at least that I can see.

I like the Lancers because they were all over the place and they have metal feedlips. I don't know what prices are like these days, but you could get black Lancer 30 rounders for under ten bucks when I was loading up on them a couple of years ago. Also, the smoke-colored Lancers are nice because you can see the loaded rounds. I bought Lancers from Primary Arms, Midway, Brownells and DSG Arms.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I like Okay Surefeed mags.

I think these mags are great. I only have a few of them, but I like 'em slightly better than my PMags. I have always preferred the aluminum housings, even though the feed lips can possibly get damaged when dropped the wrong way, like on some of my old C-Product ones.

This thread is good, reminds me that I need a bunch more of the Okays (Top Gun Supply). 12 bucks.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the absence of real day to day use I would use OKAY exclusively all day long and never look back. But the facts are that most of the time when I use an AR for fun I have to toss the mags on the ground and often on concrete or other hard surfaces. They simply are a consumable at that point. GI mags survive for awhile and then they don't. At $8-10 each it really doesn't matter too much (a decent match uses $100 of ammo and probably more than that to get there). But I try and use mags that are tougher for matches as sometimes you don't actually notice it foo bared till too late. For that I prefer the lancers. They are very, very tough, but 2x the cost. If you are building inventory get OKAY mags, if you are tuning how you use them for specific purposes some of the other options are better.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't throw magazines on the ground. I don't see why anyone would do so. Dropping magazines, intentionally or otherwise is one thing, but throwing them down? I guess it's an operator thing, because it would never occur to me to do such a thing. And by the way, magazines do not hit the ground on their feed lips all the time. Sounds statistically improbable to say the least.

My primary concern with AR magazines is the same as it is with all firearm magazines, and that is consistent feed functionality.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that the OP was not even sure that 20 round magazines and 30 round magazines both fit an AR. This is not someone who is going to be running around like a freaking ninja, tossing around magazines and getting all John Wick with his rifle. This is someone who needs some basic information about the best available magazines, and he now has that. Chances are, his primary concern with his new rifle is home defense, and in that case, all magazines mentioned in this thread will suffice for his purposes.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Palmetto State currently has MAGPUL's for $8 if you put in the coupon at checkout, and free shipping for 10 or more.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post