SIGforum
Stuck barrel nut, any ideas?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/8530014664

February 08, 2020, 08:34 PM
gibby29
Stuck barrel nut, any ideas?
Trying to loosen a standard barrel nut on my spikes .22 upper and I can’t get it to budge. My wrench is starting to strip the teeth on the nut.

I’ve applied some heat and I’m sure I lubricated the threads when I originally put the upper together.
February 08, 2020, 09:26 PM
cas
Just more heat. What did you use?

February 08, 2020, 09:27 PM
DaBigBR
A lot of heat. Up to and including a torch. If there is thread locker on there, and there probably is, it will smoke when it burns off.
February 08, 2020, 09:54 PM
hrcjon
I'm confused. gibby29 says he put it on using lubrication. So presumably he knows if it has thread locker. I'd saturate it in penetrating oil like kroil for awhile. Then add heat. Lots as suggested. and make sure I have a setup to apply torque that is solid. That is always an issue when you don't have barrel lugs to use.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
February 09, 2020, 06:50 AM
DaBigBR
Yeah I should have read more critically. I assumed it was a factory assembled upper.

Kroil is a wonderful thing and useful to have around.
February 09, 2020, 06:56 AM
gibby29
I’ll get some Kroil.

I did use a torch, I probably just didn’t let it get hot enough.

Thanks for the replies.
February 09, 2020, 07:35 AM
sns3guppy
If you can get it, mouse milk. Nothing penetrates as well. You'll need to get it from an aerospace supplier.

Otherwise, kroil.
February 09, 2020, 07:14 PM
hrcjon
Mouse milk is on amazon.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”
February 09, 2020, 07:33 PM
MikeinNC
Kroil

Let it soak overnight

Then try it

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
February 09, 2020, 07:49 PM
gibby29
Borrowed some PB Blaster from my dad. It worked. Thank you for the help.
February 09, 2020, 08:48 PM
Rustpot
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Borrowed some PB Blaster from my dad. It worked. Thank you for the help.

The next question - what kind of lube did you use? Guessing it didn't like the heat and wasn't lube any more.
February 10, 2020, 06:19 AM
gibby29
I usually put a little high temp bearing grease on the threads. I probably didn’t use enough.
February 10, 2020, 08:34 AM
ARMT Guy
quote:
Originally posted by gibby29:
Borrowed some PB Blaster from my dad.

I love PB Blaster! Great stuff.

Glad you were able to get it freed up.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

February 10, 2020, 12:31 PM
patw
PB Blaster is good stuff. I had a RRA upper that I wanted a rail on but could not get the original nut off. I had a local gunsmith who said he would do it for $40.00. I came back a couple days later and he could not wait to get it out of his store. He never had a nut that was on so tight, that he had to use a torch and numerous other things to finally loosen it. It was the best $40.00 I ever spent. I don't know why some companies put them on the way they do.
February 11, 2020, 12:04 PM
gjgalligan
With any penetrating oil it helps to tap on item to "vibrate" it so the oil seeps in better.
Don't beat it it but tapping often while soaking helps.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.