SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    How I ended up buying a Mossberg Shockwave.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How I ended up buying a Mossberg Shockwave. Login/Join 
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted
So I was at my local gun shop. They had a few Mossberg Shockwaves on the wall. I made the stupid comment that "those are interesting and I would buy one if it was a 20-gauge..." the salesman smirks reaches behind himself and grabs the Mossberg Shockwave and says this one's a 20-gauge.

So now I just got to wait a few days and I'm going to own this damn thing. Range report to follow.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of The Bandit
posted Hide Post
I'll admit, it's on my list.

Posts: 4334 | Location: Erie, Pa, USA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha-ha. The Remington Tac-14 20ga is tempting me since I've got an 870 already and am used to the manual of arms.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
out of curiosity, why 20ga? the lighter recoil?

I've been tempted to get a Shockwave as well. I love mossbergs already, and don't have a short shotty at the moment... hmmm.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
If for no other reason, right now, "because you can" should be enough to green-light the sale.

One never knows, a few years from now you might be hearing: "damn, I wish I'd bought one back when it was legal".

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chino101
posted Hide Post
I'm intrigued by the Shockwave, but I'm not sure how I would shoot it other then from the hip. Seems like a fun range toy though.

Posts: 510 | Location: Maryland | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
So, is the 20 on the same chassis as the 12? Or do we have an even lighter version of what seems to be a recoil monster?

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
why 20ga? the lighter recoil?

There are very limited factory load options for 20 gauge buckshot. The 20 gauge buck loads have similar kinetic energy to reduced recoil 12 gauge buck loads. Therefore if one is relying on factory buckshot ammo, 20 gauge doesn't offer any advantages to 12 gauge.

If the 20 gauge chassis is the same as the 12, there won't be any appreciable recoil difference between 20 buck in the 20 gauge, and reduced recoil 12 buck in the 12 gauge.

If the 20 gauge chassis is smaller than the 12, then it will weigh slightly less. And thus increase recoil a bit. IMO there's nothing to be gained from a 20 gauge frame, unless the shooter is hand loading 20 gauge buckshot loads to reduced levels.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
IMO there's nothing to be gained from a 20 gauge frame, unless the shooter is hand loading 20 gauge buckshot loads to reduced levels.

I agree 100%, the 12 gauge shines because of the mini shells and the extra capacity over the 20 gauge.

Here is a video of Clint Smith and the shockwave, he makes it look easy btw, I shot some buck and I did not make it look that easySmile

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I think I want one. Just not sure what I would do with the dang thing.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried the Raptor Grip on a full-size 500?

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5478 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...and now here's Al
with the Weather.
Picture of guardianangel762
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
why 20ga? the lighter recoil?

There are very limited factory load options for 20 gauge buckshot. The 20 gauge buck loads have similar kinetic energy to reduced recoil 12 gauge buck loads. Therefore if one is relying on factory buckshot ammo, 20 gauge doesn't offer any advantages to 12 gauge.

If the 20 gauge chassis is the same as the 12, there won't be any appreciable recoil difference between 20 buck in the 20 gauge, and reduced recoil 12 buck in the 12 gauge.

If the 20 gauge chassis is smaller than the 12, then it will weigh slightly less. And thus increase recoil a bit. IMO there's nothing to be gained from a 20 gauge frame, unless the shooter is hand loading 20 gauge buckshot loads to reduced levels.

No.

I have a Remington 870 12 gauge and a Mossberg 500 20 gauge. I have shot buckshot out of both using factory 20 and 12 reduced recoil. The 12 gauge kicked more even though it is a heavier gun. It does kick less than a normal 12, it does not get to 20 gauge levels even when the 20 is lighter. This is what I felt in recoil and a petite woman agreed with this. Now math may say the two are on even footing but my shoulder doesn't care about math and says that 20 was the kinder gun.

The main reason I jumped on this was to be able to try it myself.

Posts: 9018 | Location: Lake Stevens, WA | Registered: March 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
IMO there's nothing to be gained from a 20 gauge frame, unless the shooter is hand loading 20 gauge buckshot loads to reduced levels.

I agree 100%, the 12 gauge shines because of the mini shells and the extra capacity over the 20 gauge.

Here is a video of Clint Smith and the shockwave, he makes it look easy btw, I shot some buck and I did not make it look that easySmile

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/fM_sqSTg2v8" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Man he is fidgitiy in that opening. Was making me nervous.

I too have been intrigued by these little buggers.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25410 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TAP
posted Hide Post
I have the 12 gauge model and love it. Very easy to shoot with mini shells and perfect for home defense. All it needs is a light.

Posts: 831 | Location: Portland, OR. | Registered: October 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I bought 12 gauge 3 weeks ago on a PSA sale, 299. A ran some bird shot through it, not bad.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post