SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Which gun for deer hunting?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which gun for deer hunting? Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Norma Magnum is scoped but it isn't zero'd. I tried to get a zero last year with it but I have a very very limited amount of ammo (maybe 40 rounds left at most) and the recoil is tremendous. My grandfather hand loaded these rounds probably 30+ years ago to max pressure. His ethos was to keep packing powder in until the gun broke, get it fixed and then just back off the load a bit.

I understand. I have a .300 Win Mag that is currently not zeroed, partially because my shoulder gets punished doing the zeroing, and partially because I think I need to shim the rear ring mount. At least I'm only dropping $1.30 per shot, not $2.50 and up. I did see .308 Norma Mag ammo listed on AmmoSeek.com for about that price, though. You could get yourself some factory ammo, which will likely have less recoil than Grandpa's loads, and get yourself zeroed for modest cost and acceptable pain.

For what it's worth, I have a PAST recoil pad that I wear at the range and helps a lot with magnum rifles. It takes all the stink out of bench zeroing, so you can get it done without flinching.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
are you hunting in the corn ? the beans? the woods ? or the mountains ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54607 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Working for Water
Picture of Chance228
posted Hide Post
243 bolt gun
20ga slug gun
lever 30/30

which one depends on the specifics of the hunt

Posts: 1051 | Location: Central New Jersey | Registered: February 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
You could buy a cheap reloading setup and download grandpa's rifle to a more tolarable level. Smile

Posts: 21098 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
You could buy a cheap reloading setup and download grandpa's rifle to a more tolarable level. Smile

Maybe in the future. I also thought about barrelling it in a more affordable caliber. It's built off a 1903 action.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I'd go with the Winchester followed by the K31 if you have hunting ammo and not milsurp ammo. And use the pistol for a backup.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
The K-31 worked for us. The Son bagged a doe in MI on the youth hunt, no bucks seen. The load was handloaded 165 grain Hornady bullet for the 50 yard shot. The deer went about 20’.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Ohio when it was Shotgun or Muzzle Stuffer ONLY. So when I think Deer hunting I think Remington 870 with a Rifled Slug. Works well out to about 70 yards and the slugs won't "carry" nearly as far as a centerfire rifle.

Now Ohio permits straight walled centerfire cartridges and counts the 45/70 as a straight wall cartridge, so lots of folks out there with 45/70 lever actions.

Michigan also allows straight walled cartridges in the lower half but considers the 45/70 as a tapered case, so 357 and 44 Magnum are popular and there is a growing following for the 45 Raptor and 450 Bushmaster in an AR-10 or AR-15 chassis. In the upper half of the state I would guess that the good old 308 takes probably 60-70 percent of the deer during Rifle season.

Of the various rifles you list the one I would pick would be the 308. It's easy to find ammo for, even at Walmart, and it's plenty of rifle for a Deer.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5643 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Now Ohio permits straight walled centerfire cartridges and counts the 45/70 as a straight wall cartridge, so lots of folks out there with 45/70 lever actions.

Yup. I'd much rather use a .30-30 though. I took plenty of deer with my Mossberg 500's rifled barrel and some Hornady sabot slugs. That was a fantastic combination. When Ohio opened up straight wall I wanted a rifle that I could use in WV and OH. Currently using a Marlin in .45-70. I have dreams of using .450 Bushmaster in an AR platform. But the money hasn't been available.

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Not sure if noted (haven't read the whole thread); the first thing i noted was how hard it'll be to get cartridges for everything except the 12ga if in the middle of nowhere America. Wink

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post