SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    870 mag extension upgrade?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

870 mag extension upgrade? Login/Join 
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted
So I have an 870 police magnum with smooth bore and rifle sights. Finally getting around to some updates. Foremost I want a full mag tube. I see lots of options. Please tell me what you chose and post a pic if you can. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington +2 extension. Rem870,com is an excellent source for this kind of info.

https://www.rem870.com/2015/06...stems-wilson-combat/

I used to have the Aimpoint mounted, but switched to a slug barrel with sights. I'm sighted in where the slug impacts near the middle of light beam.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SgtGold,

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Press hard,
Three copies
posted Hide Post
My favorite for the 870 is the S&J one piece. No pics but it is solid and sits flush with an 18.5” barrel. If you have an older model with a true 18” barrel then check out the Wilson Combat it will be just short of even but pretty close. Only issue I’ve had with the Wilson was getting one that wasn’t full of rust from them.

A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Posts: 2200 | Location: VA | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I vote for the Wilson, I added one to my old Wingmaster and it is great.

Posts: 1621 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
I went with the S&J extension because it has the end "turned down" to mount the bayonet over the tube. We all know how important it is nowadays to repel boarders!

My sons 870 Police.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 702 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Wilson.
I don’t know how many hundreds of rounds through mine. Not a problem.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Wilson and like it. Since Delta-3 mentioned S&J anyway...I have their jumbo safety on my 870 and absolutely love it! It is the perfect size IMHO, large enough to take it off safe with the side of your extended trigger finger, not so big it contacts your finger while shooting.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I've used Wilson/Scattergun extensions (+1 on 14" barrels, +2 on 18") extensively on both work and personal 870s. The most "senior" of the guns (+2) has over 1400 rounds since installation. Nary an issue. Across all of the guns-- 13 total-- only one issue, and that involved cross-threading that damaged the threads on the magazine tube but wasn't noticed (or reported) by the shooter. Thankfully it failed at the the range rather than the street. Absolutely operator error.

Consider a "support clamp" (Nordic. Mesa, Magpul) on the +2. The potential for bending/damaging the shotgun's mag tube by impact is theoretically there. It's probably over-cautious, but...

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys. After looking at the offerings, I decided to order the factory Remington kit online from them. I forgot to mention my barrel is 20" and I wanted to ensure flush fit.

I chose factory because of the indent for the screw for the barrel clamp to prevent walk under recoil. I also like that it has a sling swivel on the bottom of it.

I installed a Mesa Tactical sidesaddle tonight (6 round). Now I need a new forend grip. I'm considering magpul or hogue. Any opinions?

Posts: 1620 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
I like the Magpul forend because it lets me mount rails.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
+3 Extension

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I think the Wilson Combat one is superior to the one that is made by Remington.

I have the +1 and +2 from them, and like them both. I sorta prefer the +1 as it is pretty compact, doesnt add a lot of weight.

Plus 2 is the right size for an 18 inch barrel, plus 3 is for 20 inch barrels.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FBHO
posted Hide Post
18.5 P barrel, 2-shot Remington extension, Magpul forend with Streamlight HL. Whats neat about the side mount the light lights up the front bead perfectly.

Also check out this video for proper extension installation and ditch the plastic follower get a metal one. And don't use a Wilson follower you'll lose one round. https://www.youtube.com/watch?...re=player_detailpage

1365 [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/146780422@N05/][/url]

Posts: 1046 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: September 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Added this TacStar extension to my older Wingmaster and it’s been flawless.

Also added a bracket between the barrel and the mag extension since this photo was taken. Probably didn’t need to but it helps keep the extension firmly in place.

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
Currently I've using the same light and barrel.

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've used factory Remington, Choate, and Wilson/Scattergun extensions on various 870 shotguns, and they all work well. My choice would be Wilson/Scattergun.

(Note that the Choate extensions themselves are fine, but the springs and followers that come with the Choate extensions are pretty chintzy. So if you go the Choate route, I'd suggest investing in a better follower and a Wolff spring. Choate tends to be cheaper than the others, but once you start factoring in those extra costs, they're generally not much cheaper than a better quality Wilson/Scattergun.)

I'm also really impressed with the Precision Gun Specialities Tac Cap +1 extension I put on my stepson's Wingmaster. It's not a full length extension, but it adds a bit of capacity, it's very well machined, and it nicely matches the gloss blue finish on his Wingmaster. A bit classier and fancier than the typical 870 extension.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greyeyezz:
ditch the plastic follower get a metal one

I actually went back to plastic after getting a metal follower from Brownell’s. I think it was aluminum and was so badly peened after a VERY short time I threw it away.
Get a steel one.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I believe I heard years ago, maybe in armorers class, or maybe somewhere else, that an aluminum or metal follower will damage the gun, eventually, on higher round counts guns. The plastic follower was HIGHLY recommended over the metal ones.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post