SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Refinishing Steel Rifle Magazines?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing Steel Rifle Magazines? Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
I have a question about an area I have zero experience with; refinishing surplus steel magazines.

I bought a C308 7.62 rifle from a member here and they take a 20 round CETME steel magazine or aluminum G3 magazines. I’ve been buying more of them and the majority are in great shape, most likely never even used and coated in cosmoline. A few are just oily with a slight bit of surface rust/crud on them.

I plan to disassemble them and clean thoroughly with brake cleaner but I’m not sure what to do with them as far as refinishing?

A number of them have bright wear spots on the bluing/coating. They are built like tanks, almost Soviet in construction.

Can I paint them? I’m not looking to spend a ton of money doing fancy coatings, they are 5 dollars each!

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
De grease them and use a q tip with some cold blue to hit the shiny parts....

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Me I'd degrease them and rattle can them. Can't see any downside for these. Brake clean would not be my best choice to degrease.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Same issues they had refinishing M-1 Garand gas cylinders. They used a treatment that required heat and dipping. Difficult for a small run.

Restoration experts use a spray on finish .

ALUMA-HYDE
https://www.brownells.com/guns...yde-ii-prod1117.aspx

Duracoat may be a good alternative.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a boatload of the “poor” condition close out CETME mags, can’t remember where but they were like $2 each.

Dunked them in a gallon of rust remover (had it on hand, or I would have just used vinegar)

The rust was all surface, once it was off, I had reasonably clean steel and I just hit them with rustoleum black.

Bill R

Posts: 1117 | Location: Wet side of WA | Registered: October 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SF Member CoyoteKiller can moly coat them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Me I'd degrease them and rattle can them. Can't see any downside for these. Brake clean would not be my best choice to degrease.

Why not brake cleaner? What would you recommend?

Remember I’m new in this area.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cosmoline? Boiling water. Melts off, drys quick, no fumes, etc. I’d probably hold with pliers and pour it over until I could get it clean enough to disassemble, then pour through inside.

Rustoleum flat black. I think I durocoated a couple of CETME mags, but that was more for the “hey, how does this work” experience.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
So what should I be degreasing these with before painting?

Boiling water + soap?

Brake cleaner?

Gun Scrubber?

Help a noob out here!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Boiling water + soap?

Brake cleaner?

Gun Scrubber?

Help a noob out here!

Greasy milsurp things, I pour boiling water on. Hold with some channellocks or maybe a coat hanger. That’s the general clean.

For final clean before paint for the G3 mags I was fooling around with, I used acetone. Mostly because, I had some. Just a rag wiping down the outside.

Rust issues (like G3 mag base plates), Evaporust which has been recommended on this forum many times.

Non chlorinated brake cleaner would work, but it usually costs much more, and is kinda nasty stuff. Great when I’m working on brakes. Overkill here.

I do dig that CETME. It’s like a second weapon in Galaga. One projectile straight, another to the right at 30 degrees.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You have to get any preservative off. And the metal clean. What to use really depends on what you are battling. I personally do a two step. First with mineral spirits as its very cheap. The second with an actual product intended to prep metal for paint. I use Dupont Prepsol but any of the similar type products intended for automotive paint prep will be quite good and for me modest in cost. If those are hard to get or expensive then you can use gun coating prep products like TruStrip. If I really don't care too much about the results I use acetone as I have it in bulk, but its not the best of the options.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Instead of trying to paint them, can I just clean off all the gunk/dirt/cosmoline and just wipe them down well with CLP?

posted Hide Post
sure, be fine mostly preventative on new rust if you keep up the program. But once you have cleaned them why not just rattle can them for looks.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Instead of trying to paint them, can I just clean off all the gunk/dirt/cosmoline and just wipe them down well with CLP?

That’s what I did with most of the g3 mags. I painted a couple just for practice.

--

JALLEN 10/18/18

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
the boiling water thing works fine,
lite the grill, big pot of water, and toss them in,

they will dry quickly when you pull them out, be sure to stack them so they drain (may be best to take apart)

another way is to soak in Kero or Deisel for a few days and then scrub

alumahyde, rustoleum, cold blue, all are decent options depending on how good you want them to look

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I got some PAP85 magazine that were covered in cosomline and I used mineral spirit to clean them right up. Then use any kind of paint prep then rattle can em.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:

Boiling water + soap?

Brake cleaner?

Gun Scrubber?

Help a noob out here!

Gasoline for cosmoline, it dissolves it.
Just do it outside.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stylophiles:
I bought a boatload of the “poor” condition close out CETME mags, can’t remember where but they were like $2 each.

Dunked them in a gallon of rust remover (had it on hand, or I would have just used vinegar)

The rust was all surface, once it was off, I had reasonably clean steel and I just hit them with rustoleum black.

Bill R

If I had those I’d media blast them & spray a ceramic coating on them.
Or find someone close who cad do it for you.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve sandblasted mags with rust issues and painted them with rustoleum high heat black spray paint.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post