SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 77/22 Target Stainless - Rifle Basix Trigger Review pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/22 Target Stainless - Rifle Basix Trigger Review pg 4 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Any update with the rifle basix trigger? Sorry for being pushy, I’m just very interested in these since I love my 77/22 and hate the trigger it comes with.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted Hide Post
No apology needed sir. I'll have an update for you Thursday evening, which is unfortunately the earliest I'll be able to get to it. I'm anxious to try it out as well! I cannot express enough how horrible the stock trigger is on mine, so I feel your pain.

Trigger review Thursday 2/27, more groups and a further range workout Friday 2/28 (weather permitting for the groups).

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Well, I was finally able to get the trigger installed and do a little testing today. The short version of my review of the Rifle Basix trigger for the 77/22 is that I love it, and it's a huge improvement over stock. Not perfect, but 4.5/5 stars.

For starters, this is the single easiest trigger installation I've ever done - I had it and a new mag release installed in less than fifteen minutes from start to finish. Here's what comes in the package:

It also included very simple illustrated instructions that were more than adequate. Here's what it looks like with the new spring (right) vs. the originals (left):

Finally, here it is installed:

As I mentioned, it is a huge improvement over the factory trigger. The break is crisp with very little creep and adjustable pull weight. I have it set near the bottom end, probably a little over a pound.

Two things I'm not wild about: First, getting the safety to work as desired without binding requires some careful adjustment. I had to disassemble the rifle a second time to get the safety to work correctly, although I'd tested it before reassembly.

Second, there is no overtravel stop or adjustment. I suppose one could be added. However for practical purposes, the overtravel doesn't really come into play - the trigger breaks so lightly compared to the pull weight required for additional travel that I don't actually notice it when I'm shooting. Basically, you have the 1-1.5 lb you apply to release the sear, then the pull weight for the remaining travel goes up to 5-6 lbs. Kind of weird, but it works.

The long and short of the Rifle Basix trigger is that I'd buy it again for $90-ish or whatever they go for. I think this rifle has finally reached its potential as a shooter, without going overboard. Wish it wasn't so damn windy today so I could shoot some meaningful groups.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Killer Instincts,

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glad you like it and thanks for the pictures, I guess I’ll be ordering one and some bolt shims, I never bothered with the shins before but what the heck. My 77/22 isn’t a target model like yours but I still like to go out and shoot targets with it. I’ve always wanted a better trigger for it.

Thanks for posting that detailed reply, I like seeing stuff about the 77/22s, I don’t think they get the love they deserve and less so now that they aren’t making a 22lr version.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
My pleasure. Definitely go for the shims while you're at it. I forgot to mention that I free-floated the barrel from the stock as well, which seemed to help.

Post a few pictures when you get yours finished up! There appears to be a small but loyal following for the 77/22 rimfire on the forum.

The wind is howling here again so there isn't much point in shooting groups. I did get to try a few new ammo types yesterday in minimal winds, and saw some really nice 50 yard groups with SK Rifle Match, Long Range Match, and somewhat surprisingly, Aguila Super Extra.

posted Hide Post
The weather here is crazy right now too, mine isn’t as nice as yours, mine is just a basic blued, synthetic stock sporter but it’s my 77/22. I wanted a stainless version but I held off and once Ruger announced they weren’t making the 77/22 in 22lr any longer they seemed to just evaporate, they all got snatched up overnight literally. I went from seeing lots of them on GB to non at all. I felt lucky to get a blued one for 525.00 back in 2017.

Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Yeah, they are ghosts. I've been looking for more or less this exact rifle for several years, kinda casually waiting for one to walk by. One finally did!

I'd actually really like to have an older model with the clamped barrel and a beat up wood stock so I can monkey with it. Shorty sleeved and threaded aluminum barrel, new stock, and the rest of it. I could always just get a Precision Rimfire, I suppose.