SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger 77/22 Target Stainless - Rifle Basix Trigger Review pg 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77/22 Target Stainless - Rifle Basix Trigger Review pg 4 Login/Join 
Ride the lightning
Picture of Killer Instincts
posted
LGS has a very clean Ruger 77/22 Target Stainless in .22LR on consignment for $795. I was pretty close to pulling the proverbial trigger today but thought I'd ask here first.

Mfg date is unknown, comes with matching rings. Finish is target gray - kind of a dark matte stainless that is really appealing. Not sure if it has the box/papers. The walnut stock looked basically new.

I think it'd make an awesome small game rifle and general plinker, provided accuracy is up to par. Interchangeability of mags with the 10/22 is a plus. I can't find a similar one for sale online anywhere to get a price estimate.

What do we think? Buy it or let someone else grab it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Killer Instincts,

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
I don't have any personal experience with the target model. Mine is just plain stainless, light weight barrel, synthetic stock.
Best bolt action .22 rimfire I have ever owned.
Seems a bit high on price, but they don't make them any more.

There is a drop in sear available for getting a match grade trigger pull on it. (aftermarket)

Don't cheap out on a scope...

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Oh, try to get them to come down a bit, but get it. The 77/22 assuming it's actually chambered in .22 LR and not .22 Hornet is a fabulous rifle.

They are really holding their value. The last one I saw at the Orlando gun show was a regular stainless with walnut stock and the guy wanted $850.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Damn it, guys, I was afraid of that... Wink

Edit: it was $735, not $795... I had them throw it in the back with my name on it. I'll try and get some pictures up tomorrow.

Posts: 2167 | Location: Underway | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy that Classic SIG in All Stainless,
No rail wear will be painless.
Picture of cee_Kamp
posted Hide Post
You can get a rough idea when it was made from the Ruger website. (with the serial number)

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Instructor
USPSA Chief Range Officer

Posts: 1523 | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cee_Kamp:
You can get a rough idea when it was made from the Ruger website. (with the serial number)

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/serialHistory/

Thank you, sir. May I ask who makes this drop in sear? I'm a stickler for a nice trigger on a .22.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I have a blued 77/22 I bought years ago. Came with a 4x Leupold scope and a beautiful stock. I love it. My nearby LGS did a trigger job on it a few years ago. Trigger's really nice on it, now.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Mine's blued as well and for $735 I'd have bought your new one too.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I have two 77/22 rifles and really like them. One configured as a trainer:

I installed an aftermarket trigger, a JARD as I recall.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Congrats, I always wanted a 77/22 with the factory iron sights and walnut stock.

The model with iron sights must not have been to popular as it seems that it was dropped fairly early.

HK Ag

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for reassuring me that I'm doing the right thing. I'll have it scoped up and shoot a few groups before sundown tomorrow, provided the weather isn't too shitty up at the ol' ranch. The weather at 8200 feet is unpredictable in January.

Sigfreund, I recall seeing that picture on here before. That's one sweet setup! Any tips for ammo preference?

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Killer Instincts:
Any tips for ammo preference?

I have had decent results with SK ammunition (that's also sold as Wolf, or used to be). There are several different types, but I don't have any real experience except for the "Standard Plus."

https://www.creedmoorsports.co...1/rimfire-ammunition

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wanted a stainless synthetic model when we finalized the plan to move up to AK, I dragged my feet on it for awhile then Ruger stopped making them in 22lr, they seemed to dry up overnight (not dry up but there were fewer of them and the prices sky rocketed), I ended up settling on a blued synthetic version which I got new in the box for ~ 500 dollars. I put a leupold vx1 2-7x28 rimfire scope on it and that’s how it’s been ever since.

It’s been an excellent gun for me, in addition to providing tons of fun at the range, introducing new shooters including my wife to shooting and teaching a few kids to shoot it also was responsible for dozens upon dozens of spruce chickens, ptarmigans, snow shoe hares and even a beaver and several foxes.

I don’t even know how many rounds have gone down the barrel of that rifle but it’s been a nice accurate gun that dosent feel like a miniature toy.

My only complaint is the trigger, timney makes a sear kit which might be worth a look.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Pics - sorry if they're huge, I don't know how to resize them on Google photos. Rifle was produced in 2016. Scoped it with what I had sitting around, but I've ordered new rings to put a Leupold Mk4 LR/T on it for testing.

I've also ordered a Rifle Basix trigger for it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Killer Instincts,

posted Hide Post
I didn’t know rifle basic made a trigger for the 77/22....looks like my wallet is going to get a bit lighter.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I didn’t know rifle basic made a trigger for the 77/22....looks like my wallet is going to get a bit lighter.

I'll report back once I get mine. It's backordered a few weeks.

Should I be ashamed that I'm considering cutting 3" off the barrel and threading it for a suppressor? I almost don't even want to hunt with it, it's so clean.

Maybe I should just find an older one with a clamped in barrel (this one's threaded into the receiver) and rebarrel/restock it, rather than cutting this one up.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't. Hell, I feel bad enough about having had a bit of the beautiful walnut stock on mine flattened on the butt to have a pad to increase the pull length fitted. (Stock was way too short for my long arms.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I wouldn't. Hell, I feel bad enough about having had a bit of the beautiful walnut stock on mine flattened on the butt to have a pad to increase the pull length fitted. (Stock was way too short for my long arms.)

You must have a serious wingspan! I'm right at 6' with monkey arms and this thing fits me almost perfectly. I think you're right about not cutting this one up. With a 23" barrel it's not that much louder than a suppressed .22 anyway.

Now I need a well-used older example to play with. What have I done...

Ride the lightning
posted Hide Post
Holy crap! This thing shoots 1" groups at 100 yards with Federal bulk pack 36 gr HP ammo, of which I happen to have cases. I'll post some groups tomorrow if I remember.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I'd still advise you to try other brands and bullet weights/velocity. Its kind of rare for the first ammo you try will be teh best. Possible but unlikely. That woule be like a box of Remington rimfire all even firing! Yeah, that won't happen.

Way back in 1966 I bought an new rifle and set about to find a preferred ammo. When I found one that shot well for me and my gun, I then bought all of that lot I could find. It was my plan. I still have several boxes of it left, it still shoots good enough for me. It Remington HV hollow points, too. No, I don't recommend anyone even bother with it these days.

But it does make sense to waste a bunch of money trying. Then buy as much of it as you can swing and afford. Then later on, retest it. Against whatever new ammo you think will become your standard. This won't work if you shoot a lot.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post