SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a Marlin 39a...the good, bad, and the ugly.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Marlin 39a...the good, bad, and the ugly. Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Any pre-Remington Marlin is a great find !

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

That's pretty much my policy these days, but it can get expensive! Big Grin

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

That's pretty much my policy these days, but it can get expensive! Big Grin

Yeah, unfortunately the word got out and they command a premium now.

I had an 1894C in .44 mag back in the early 2000's that I really wish I hadn't let walk. It was a really nice gun.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well, I got my plug screws in today. Got rid of the ugly scope mounts and weird little lyman flip-up sight and threw on a more traditional buckhorn rear sight that I had lying around from another Marlin. I'm pretty happy with the result...and now I have to go re-zero it, so I have an excuse to shoot it some more Big Grin.

From this:

To this:

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
That looks so much better.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a hammer like that, but it is cool if you're using a scope.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
My 1953 39a does not have a hammer like that. I'm guessing it was an aftermarket part that was added when the scope was mounted. Its very cool to be a one piece extended hammer instead of a bolted-on hammer spur. Even though you've removed the scope, I'd leave it.

The buckhorn sights look great!

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8200 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
If that had come into the shop I occasionally work at it would have never made it to the sales floor, it would have been added to my .22 family. Those old .22's have a special feeling to me, can't describe it.

So far everything I have is either semi or bolt action. Lever guns in .22 are not that common around here. Only one I can remember coming in for sale was a Browning BLR. It was nice, 1975 vintage but it just didn't "call my name" out when I would walk by it. I like older ones, the earlier the better. So far my oldest one is 1936-1937, a Sears Ranger branded Marlin, my one and only Marlin.

Around this area from what I see that comes in with the old farmers selling off their guns or estate sell-offs it's a toss up between Winchester and Remington, further down the list is Mossberg followed by Stevens/Savage. Almost no private labels except that one Sears that became Christmas present from me to me.

My favorite .22 story goes back to 1970. Two friends and I (R.I.P. Gordy) were in northern lower Michigan for a weekend staying at my friend Mike's parent's cottage. We went out to the local dumpsite rodent hunting, rats galore. Well, being a broke-ass eighteen year old and Mike being a college student things were real tight, two boxes of Super-X was high-rolling stuff. So we were running low on ammunition, Gordy being the only one of us really employed takes off to go and get stuff for lunch. When he returned, he had a brick of Super-X with him! Woo-hoo, all afternoon we had lunch, shot rats, once the rats were done or had run off we started on bottles and cans. Mike and I still talk about that time today whenever we take our .22's out to shoot.

Well, if one of those Marlins come into the shop...you know how this story will end.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8066 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
If that had come into the shop I occasionally work at it would have never made it to the sales floor, it would have been added to my .22 family. Those old .22's have a special feeling to me, can't describe it.

So far everything I have is either semi or bolt action. Lever guns in .22 are not that common around here. Only one I can remember coming in for sale was a Browning BLR. It was nice, 1975 vintage but it just didn't "call my name" out when I would walk by it. I like older ones, the earlier the better. So far my oldest one is 1936-1937, a Sears Ranger branded Marlin, my one and only Marlin.

Around this area from what I see that comes in with the old farmers selling off their guns or estate sell-offs it's a toss up between Winchester and Remington, further down the list is Mossberg followed by Stevens/Savage. Almost no private labels except that one Sears that became Christmas present from me to me.

My favorite .22 story goes back to 1970. Two friends and I (R.I.P. Gordy) were in northern lower Michigan for a weekend staying at my friend Mike's parent's cottage. We went out to the local dumpsite rodent hunting, rats galore. Well, being a broke-ass eighteen year old and Mike being a college student things were real tight, two boxes of Super-X was high-rolling stuff. So we were running low on ammunition, Gordy being the only one of us really employed takes off to go and get stuff for lunch. When he returned, he had a brick of Super-X with him! Woo-hoo, all afternoon we had lunch, shot rats, once the rats were done or had run off we started on bottles and cans. Mike and I still talk about that time today whenever we take our .22's out to shoot.

Well, if one of those Marlins come into the shop...you know how this story will end.

^^^ sounds like Good Times!!!

I remember when I was a wee tyke, a hurricane (Corrine? or Camille?) came thru when we were at our grandparents down in Halifax county,

when it broke, we left to go home but the Dan was well over it's banks ,

there was a store in the yuge metropolis of Paces Va, (train owned feed and seed/country store and maybe 2 houses)

the Dan had flooded up to the rail tracks that ran thru the area, and the store, being train owned, was on the high side,

teh fields below, now submerged, were planted with corn, and the rats and mice were swimming up and over to the high side,

all the old guys in the area, including my grandpa, were standing on the road and tracks having a ball shooting the mice/rats/whatever as they attempted to swim up to the store,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Even though you've removed the scope, I'd leave it.

Yep, it's staying. I still wish I knew the story behind it, because I've never seen anything quite like it before (all the other Marlin hammer extensions I've seen have been 2 piece), but it is very functional and actually makes the rifle easier to decock after firing....I like it.

quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
If that had come into the shop I occasionally work at it would have never made it to the sales floor

I have a suspicion that that has been happening around here, too, which is why I was so shocked to see it on the rack, especially at that price. I've been looking for an affordable 39 for probably 7 years, and had yet to encounter one that I could afford. I dont know if it was the ugly scope mounts or the rough finish of if I was just at the right place at the right time, but there was no way I was walking out of there without it. The few other examples I've seen around here...and they're very scarce...have gone for over $700. I'd actually given up on finding one at one point and started looking at Henrys, but just couldn't warm up to them.

Its not exactly a beauty queen, but it'll sure shoot. My son and I had a .22 day at the range yesterday...we took his scoped Marlin 25 bolt action, the 39, and my single-six. At 50 yards it'll keep 5 shots in a B8 x-ring...I actually shot it better than I did the scoped Marlin 25. And it'll ring steel consistently at 100. It's way nicer to shoot offhand than the bolt-action.