SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Picked up a Marlin 39a...the good, bad, and the ugly.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Picked up a Marlin 39a...the good, bad, and the ugly. Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
I have a Marlin problem, I'll readily admit it. I have a couple of 1894s, an 1895, and a 336, as well as a few bolt-action .22s. I've been wanting a 39 for years, but all of the ones I've seen locally were listed for $700 or more. The other day I stopped by the LGS in a futile search for primers, and happened upon an old 39a on the rack. I wasn't really looking to buy a gun that day, but when I saw that the price tag said $399, even with the ugly scope mounts and rough finish, I couldn't get my wallet out fast enough.

[

The good:
According to the serial #, the gun dates to 1951. The wood is quite nice, although it has a few dings here and there. The action is tight and smooth, and the bore is immaculate with strong rifling. I was able to get it to group under 1" at 25 yards.

The bad:
Once I got it home, I discovered that the ejector spring was broken. The only place I've been able to find one for sale is Jack First, and they want $23 shipped for one little spring. I ended up making one out of an old jigsaw blade...it's working fine for now, we'll see how long it holds up.

The ugly:
The scope had to go...I can't abide a scope on a levergun, although the antique Weaver B6 is kind of cool. Unfortunately, they drilled the receiver and the barrel to mount the scope bases. I have some plug screws on the way, and plan to replace the Lyman flip-up rear sight with a buckhorn.

The finish is a little rough, but I think I'm going to leave it alone. The gun is a shooter, not a museum piece. I've also noticed that the rear of the bolt is not flush with the receiver. This doesn't appear to have caused any problems with function, but it makes me question whether or not the bolt was original to the gun.

One thing that did catch my attention is the hammer. It has an integral extension on the right-hand side for clearance around a scope. I'm not sure if this was like this from the factory, or if it's some kind of aftermarket addition, but it seems well-made and is kind of a cool idea. If anybody has any info on this, I'd love to hear it.

So yeah...just another old Marlin. It's nothing particularly special, but I'm happy with it and it rounds out my collection. If any of you guys has a 39, I'd love to see pics and hear any info or stories you know about them!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Great gun you have there, one of the true Classics. I grew up learning how to shoot with a Marlin 39A, as I suspect was the same for many others on this forum.

I inherited four guns from my father and the 39A was the only gun that went to another sibling. I learned years later that my brother sold the rifle w/o informing me. I regret not telling him that I would like to have it, if it came to that, given my memories/attachment to that old Marlin. Funny, I sold off the other inherited guns as I had no recollection of my father & I shooting them.

I made the decision to spend a chunk of change on an Anschutz .22 so I can pass it down to my daughter, who I know cherishes her time shooting it at the range.

Enjoy your new Marlin!

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
92fstech, as you get older you'll change your mind about scoping your lever guns. I'm in my 70's and wouldn't be able to hit shit without a scope because my old eyes just don't allow it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
92fstech, as you get older you'll change your mind about scoping your lever guns. I'm in my 70's and wouldn't be able to hit shit without a scope because my old eyes just don't allow it.

Jim

Oh, I know about bad eyes! I'm only 35, but I've been wearing glasses since I was 13. I'm badly nearsighted, and have astigmatism to boot. I do like scopes and dots on a lot of my rifles...I just like the balance and handiness of a lever gun in it's natural form.

Funny thing...I took that gun shooting with a few buddies this weekend, one in his 40s, one who's 58, and one who's 75. The 75 y/o schooled all of us with it...and then told me he wasn't even wearing his good glasses. I don't mess with old guys Big Grin!

Posts: 8415 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Golden 39A (circa 1970) does not have the hammer like that. Mine came with a hammer spur that fit over the hammer for scope use.
I will look at my bolt tonight to see if it is flush or like yours.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Cool 39a, I have one of those on my want list!

Thanks for sharing

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
My Golden 39A (circa 1970) does not have the hammer like that. Mine came with a hammer spur that fit over the hammer for scope use.
I will look at my bolt tonight to see if it is flush or like yours.

PC

Thanks, that's how all of my other marlins that had hammer extensions were set up, too, so this one kind of surprised me. Thanks for checking on the bolt!

Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Enjoy that plinker, man. A levergun in .22 is an absolute giggle. Of the guns I grew up with that I'll never see again, I miss my Winchester 94/22 probably the most. It was easily the most fun I had shooting in those days, and I can't even begin to estimate how many rounds I put through it. For at least four summers in high school, I went through probably about a 500rd brick of Remington Thunderbolt a week, sometimes two bricks. Miss those days when .22 was still dirt cheap.

I had thought about trying to replace it, didn't like the prices I was seeing, then thought about a Henry. I guess at some point, I ought to look around for a Marlin. Smile

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
For at least four summers in high school, I went through probably about a 500rd brick of Remington Thunderbolt a week, sometimes two bricks.

You rich kids disgusted me.

On the subject of guns we wanted going to other siblings, its fodder for an entire thread. I learned that I needed to scam my brother long ago. My brother was my mothers favorite, by a huge margin. The list was endless, from the family $20 gold piece to all kinds of other stuff. After a while you give up on being pissed about it and learn work arounds. It shocked me that she tried to make an appearance of fairness. So when dad died she laid out all his guns on the bed and wanted us to look at them. Why bother? I was the only one who ever went shooting or hunting with my dad, but she said we should look them over. OK. I knew damned good and well what they were, and didn't much care to see half of them go to him, but there are things you've got to accept. Or scam. So Mom came back in the room and told my brother he was the oldest so he should go first. Whatever. I'd spent the time inspecting the Remington 721 that I hated, and of course his one and only handgun. So when he took what his non-gun loving assumption was the scoped rifle, I saw it was working, so I took his Winchester M12 we'd gone hunting with for so many seasons. He looked puzzled but jumped on the S&W 32, which had no value to me at all but I lavished time on it expecting to never see it again. So my choice was the Winchester produced M1917 we'd spent so my time trying to sporterize. I know, we ruined it, but I didn't care. It was the time we'd spent together that counted. Then I took my 2 prizes and headed out. Foolishly my mother said "you're not finished" to which I replied, "yes I am". Felt good to get the best of a situation for once.

Then I didn't keep them for long at all, I gave one to each son. Too much responsibility for me to have to keep them. I bet others here have inherited guns they only wanted to pass along to their offspring, not for any monetary value. Yeah, I gave up 5 or 6 guns that had no meaning to me. Turns out my brother sold his bounty as soon as he got home. He made major cash, probably a few hundred bucks total.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to Numrich there was an extension https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/893080A

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
For at least four summers in high school, I went through probably about a 500rd brick of Remington Thunderbolt a week, sometimes two bricks.

You rich kids disgusted me.

Not that I owe anybody an explanation, but I painted fences and barns and worked stacking bales of hay in a hay mow, literally dug ditches as part of a landscaping job and that's where the money went. You're a real peach, ain't ya? Roll Eyes

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
92fstech:
I have emailed a photo of my bolt to your email.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
92fstech:
I have emailed a photo of my bolt to your email.

PC

Got it and replied. Thank you sir!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
rburg, what is your problem? You always clam up at this point. Well, I'm not havin' it this time. Tell me, explain to me what this is about. Don't be chickenshit and get quiet. Hit 'Reply' and explain yourself. Speak up. This ain't your personal therapy session. Tell me just what you think you're doing by posting that shit in this thread.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
No problem. I just see the need to ask others if they also experienced the similar situation.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Is that what you were doing, when the first thing you posted was "You rich kids disgusted me"?

And, "no problem"? Sorry, but, there most assuredly is a problem when you behave this way. Now, I have known you for a very long time, from this and other forums, and I know you fancy yourself a curmudgeon, but you will be polite to your fellow forum members. Getting on in years does not give you license to say whatever you want in this forum. You can be as curmudgeonly as you wish in your remarks about the world in general, but, the members of this forum treat you politely and you will treat them politely.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
92fstech good score that 39a looks like fun. Those wonderful 39a are getting very hard to come by these days around here.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I found mine at a local gun show years ago. I liked it...didn't like the price the seller wanted. On the way home I thought, I gotta have it. Turned around and bought it! Big Grin Late 60's vintage.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
One feature of these rifles, is they can shoot shorts, longs and long rifle cartridges.

There is still .22 short ammo available, although very highly priced these days.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
mine shoots 1/2 inch to the left at 85 feet.

if I adjust the scope at all to compensate, it misses the whole soup can.

guess I need a better scope

(1957 circa)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post