SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    A SIG Unicorn, PE-90, Just Sold on GB!
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A SIG Unicorn, PE-90, Just Sold on GB! Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
In the case of the Sig I believe it is the federal import ban from 1989. After that no complete foreign "assault weapons" could be imported. This is what led to the "parts kits" showing up.

I know a guy in NH that has an HK 911. It's a HK 91 that got stuck in customs when the ban went into effect so HK added the '1' to ge them in.

Just silliness from Bush the first.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HK Ag:
I think I read here that "safety case" requires that you remove the bolt carrier / charging handle to fit it in the case.
I have always thought the various factory SIG hard cases are cool.
Would love to have a 550/PE90 one day.
HK Ag

Yep. There exists a small "Tupperware" type container that holds the bolt and charging handle. This small case is normally stowed beneath the rifle's pistol grip in the Safety Case. I have a couple NIB Safety Cases and neither came with the small bolt/handle container. I did pick up one of these bolt/handle cases from The Netherlands years ago, but was never able to locate another.

BYW, a safety case cannot me closed with a rifle inside if the rifle's bolt handle is installed. Also, look at the inside of the lid. You will see a protruding piece of plastic molded in. This protruding plastic will not allow the case lid to be closed if a magazine in inserted in the rifle.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2184 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand what it is. I doubt it shoots any better the my Sig M400. It would be nice to have $11,000 just laying around that I could just pi$$ away on something like that.

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andronicus:
I understand what it is. I doubt it shoots any better the my Sig M400. It would be nice to have $11,000 just laying around that I could just pi$$ away on something like that.

I doubt it was bought to shoot ... but maybe a little bit!
quote:
in original text by seller:
"Rifle is used but looks darn near New. It is an easy 98% Condition"

So you could shoot it without devastating your investment ... maybe put some tape where the case generally dings the paint on ejection.

Like many here I'd like to have one too, but it's not worth it to me either, maybe in the $5-6K range.

If I'm going to spend that kind of coin I'll by an MM23E for my HK sear or a transferable machine gun ... they're still some subguns still out there in the $5,000 - $10,000 price range (but you may not see them on Gunbroker), for instance the UZI, Sten, MAC ... their prices are still rising and there is an ever increasing pool of buyers. Some in shooter or slightly worse condition are bringing even less.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't buy a firearm and not shoot it. Even if it decreases the collector value. I just can't. It's like those geeks who buy toys and don't ever open them. WTF??!!!

Posts: 4652 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's about $10,000 worth of nice and about $1,000 worth of useful..........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't buy a firearm and not shoot it. Even if it decreases the collector value. I just can't. It's like those geeks who buy toys and don't ever open them. WTF??!!!

People can appreciate guns however way they damn well please.

If it bothers you that much, then let's see you shell out $10k on a gun and shoot the shit out of it.

Posts: 10831 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darkest2000:
....then let's see you shell out $10k on a gun and shoot the shit out of it.

Some of us actually do this. A precision bolt action rifle with quality optics for steel/tactical matches can easily cost $7k to $8k, with some custom shop models costing more. Add another $2k for laser range finder binos, maybe $1k more for a quality tripod, and another $1k for a suppressor.

These rifles are not babied in competition or training. They get dirty & muddy, scratched up against rocks & barriers, acquire a little tree sap here & there. Let's not forget that all that dialing of elevation tends to wear out a scope's elevator system over time.

And then there are barrels -- a consumable rifle component. I just shot out the barrel on my primary competition rifle; my training rifle's barrel probably isn't far from being toast. The gunsmith who changed out my barrel put a borescope on the old barrel. His comment to me literally was, "you shot the shit out of this barrel." I compete with guys who buy a barrel or two every season.

I can't see putting $10k into a safe queen, but I have no issues shelling out $10k on a working gun system.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
It's about $10,000 worth of nice and about $1,000 worth of useful..........dj

BINGO!

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's like those geeks who buy toys and don't ever open them. WTF??!!!

It's like those guys that judge others for what they decide gives them the most enjoyment out of their own personal property.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fair enough. I do have a buddy who is a Corvette guy. He'd rather sit in the garage and look at than drive it in the sunshine. His money.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I think there may be only two or three people in this thread who actually realize this is not just another SIG 550. It's a PE-90. A SIG 550 in that condition with those accessories would easily be well worth $10K. PE-90s are SIGnificantly more rare. Whoever purchased it made one hell of a good buy.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heckler
posted Hide Post
Yup.. right you are.. the PE-90 (which is "Privat Eisenfuere" in german - forgive the spelling) is usually a SIG 550 which was previously issued to individual swiss soldiers.

However after leaving service, they can keep their service 550 rifle - by having all the full-auto capabilities removed and be restamped as a PE-90.

I would expect the PE90 to be a rare firearm in the USA.. considering few were brought in - at least compared to the 550.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: heckler,

Posts: 227 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heckler:
Yup.. right you are.. the PE-90 (which is "Privat Eisenfuere" in german - forgive the spelling) is usually a SIG 550 which was previously issued to individual swiss soldiers.

However after leaving service, they can keep their service 550 rifle - by having all the full-auto capabilities removed and be restamped as a PE-90.

I would expect the PE90 to be a rare firearm in the USA.. considering few were brought in - at least compared to the 550.

In addition to Stg90s that have been converted to PE90, there were also factory made semiauto PE90s. The one referenced in this thread (and to my knowledge all PE90s in the US) is the latter. This can be confirmed by the automatic sear release lever block (aka "carriage block" per SwissArms nomenclature) has only two spot welds. Receivers with a slotted right bolt rail have a carriage block that is slightly longer and retained by three spot welds, while receivers that lack a slotted rail have a shorter carriage block that is retained by two spot welds.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I think there may be only two or three people in this thread who actually realize this is not just another SIG 550. It's a PE-90. A SIG 550 in that condition with those accessories would easily be well worth $10K. PE-90s are SIGnificantly more rare. Whoever purchased it made one hell of a good buy.

True. And I don't believe the seller understood exactly what he had.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2315 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I started with my last agency, the new Chief pulled me and another officer aside and said he wanted to re-do the patrol programs that was currently in place.

He told us that there were some star wars looking weapons in the rifle safe.

In the safe were five SG551-2 plus two more that were the SWAT variant. All the models were select fire, had full auto capability and were marked Made in Switizerland.

After me and the other officer contact sellers, buyers etc.. The Chief took it over and ended up trading the rifles for nine RRA M4 (the Colt 6920 equivalent) with Eotechs.

I kept encouraging the Chief to take a couple rifles out so the officers could shoot them.
No dice.

It has always been one of my favorite rifles.
So close yet so far away.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Beautiful rifle, but it's nowhere 10,000 dollars worth of beautiful to me.

Same here Eek

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Beautiful rifle, but it's nowhere 10,000 dollars worth of beautiful to me.

Not being a smart ass ... maybe the question is worthy of its own thread ...

What is your idea of 10,000 dollars worth of beautiful?

I'm kind of thinking a 12" Beltfed HK23e with a with one of those 1000 round back-pack type belt boxes ...
... I think the going rate on something like that is more in the $15-$18K range or maybe more

posted Hide Post
The PE90 is back on GB, this time at PE90 price...

Posts: 7 | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Eek
Are you the seller?

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post