SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Affordable Bore Scope
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Affordable Bore Scope Login/Join 
posted
Been following the discussion about a new borescope that is hitting the market. As some are aware the Hawkeye is $700-1000. The alternative Lyman is about $300 but image quality is not so good.

Teslong Borescope

The discussion and pictures I have been reviewing is over on Snipers Hide. The members there tend to be brutal in reviews but this product has held up to that scrutiny.

Full disclosure - I will be ordering shortly but have not seen this unit personally.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 861 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
For 50 bucks, if reviews are even halfway decent, I can't see any reason not to give it a try.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Cid 92:
Been following the discussion about a new borescope that is hitting the market. As some are aware the Hawkeye is $700-1000. The alternative Lyman is about $300 but image quality is not so good.

Teslong Borescope

The discussion and pictures I have been reviewing is over on Snipers Hide. The members there tend to be brutal in reviews but this product has held up to that scrutiny.

Full disclosure - I will be ordering shortly but have not seen this unit personally.

Andrew

Just to make you green with envy. I have an Hawkeye borescope. I won it at a match some years back. Cool

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:

Andrew

When you do order let us know how it works as this is something I could sure use.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 876 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:

Teslong Borescope

Andrew

Just to make you green with envy. I have an Hawkeye borescope. I won it at a match some years back. Cool

I have many words for you... none polite!!!

But seriously, congrats on winning a great unit.

Andrew

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NikonUser:
quote:

Teslong Borescope

Andrew

I have many words for you... none polite!!!

But seriously, congrats on winning a great unit.

Andrew

Sorry, I just noticed that half my answer is missing for some reason.

After my snooty remark, I had said that I had bought one of those camera things at the end of a flexible tube and tried to use it. It was pretty poor; in this case, there is no substitute for optics and resolution. I was very pleased when I won that Borescope and the difference in clarity compared to my camera probe is like night and day.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Friend picked one of these up. Messed with it today. Works great, resolution excellent! So much easier to use then a Hawkeye type borescope, viewing the image on a screen. Snap a picture before and after cleaning.... Got one on order.

Posts: 3197 | Location: 9860 ft above sea level Colorado | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Too bad that model doesn’t do iOS.
I could use the laptop but would prefer using my phone or iPad.
Very tempting for only $50!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK guys..... I finally got the borescope listed above. Quality wise it is pretty damn good!!! I used it side by side with a Hawkeye and there were some issues but not many (think Schmidt & Bender vs Vortex). For $50 you aren't throwing away money.

Now....that being said. I'm positive, I was better off not knowing what my barrels looked like from the inside. If you get this unit, you are definitely jumping down a rabbit hole. Now I have all these images of firecracking, copper deposits, carbon fouling, ect…. dancing around in my head. And this is off a new 6 Dasher barrel that shoots about 0.4 MOA all day long!!!

I'd definitely recommend starting off by viewing an unfired, clean barrel if you have one laying around. That'll get you used to using the camera. Right is left and up is down.

Next go to a fired but clean barrel for a comparison. Then finally to a barrel that tends to get neglected occasionally (we all have one that gets overlooked).

As far as the Win vs iOS concern..... the larger screen of a laptop seems to be better and allows the computer to make some auto adjustment (HDR pics). The scope is a tool that I'll use at home on the bench....so I don't mind the larger screen of the laptop. And I can save the pics to a file for future comparison. I don't bash Apple products but I don't see that the world is always divided Win vs Apple.

As I stated before.... for $50 you can't go wrong.

Andrew

Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Ordered mine yesterday.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
Thanks El Cid!
Kind of...I think you just cost me 50 bucks! Wink

I can see that looking at the erosion would raise concerns but the only way to not have it is to not shoot that barrel.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of videos from the one I received today. The forward looking feature works best with a dirty barrel. Both of these barrels are new and unfired.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wanted to provide an update.

Scope was working great. Teslong Customer Service sent out (free of charge) a new 90 degree mirror housing unit. The original glue wasn't holding that well.

Pulled the unit out of the case to attach and discovered that leaving it coiled in the case had caused the unit to fail.

Contacted Teslong Customer Service.... New unit was shipped along with new various sizes of mirror housings.

Used a length of 1/2 PVC piping to make a storage housing for the scope. Added foam tape inside of the end of it to protect the camera.

Still a great product.

Andrew

Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks! I'll check mine too.

Tony.

Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feedback......just cost me $50!

Posts: 1767 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
I went with the Teslong 150. At $99- the screen is attached. Very good picture. Did a quick look into a Gemtech Trek suppressor on a Geissele upper. I could see everything, especially the lint I left in the barrel.

Posts: 2295 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post