SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Savage Axis rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Axis rifle Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
Any thoughts on these? I've a number of blogs/articles that say even though they are cheap they are accurate out of the box and definitely a heck of a value.

I'm looking for something in 7mm-08 for my daughter for hunting this year (her first year).

The local Wally World has one in 30.06 for $270. Cabela's has them for $330 and I can order the 7mm-08. Going to take a trip this Saturday to my favorite gun shop and see what they have for prices and availability.

I would like to keep it under $400 for the rifle.

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My dad bought one in .243, rifle/scope combo, for my step-mom/sister. His does not have the accutrigger & his only complaint was that the stock trigger had a lot of weight to it. He's going to send it to a smith to have it lightened a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an Axis II in 223, got a super deal ($200 shipped after rebate) from PSA. Hits the paper at 100yds, I'm happy with it.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I have an Axis II in 223, got a super deal ($200 shipped after rebate) from PSA. Hits the paper at 100yds, I'm happy with it.

How do you feel about the quality of the stock? Overall build?

Posts: 10186 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:

How do you feel about the quality of the stock? Overall build?

Mine has the synthetic stock, overall build is fine. You might want to get a second opinion, as I'm not a serious rifle guy. I have another Savage in 308 I'm also happy with (except for the snappy recoil).

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
^ The .243 my dad bought is also synthetic stock. It's a nice lighter rifle, the material isn't as nice as my Tikka, but would make for a good starter rifle.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
Know that if you want to do any upgrades, the Axis line doesn't have much aftermarket support. There are a few differences between them and the 1X/11X-series. The best thing about an Axis is the receiver is strong, as it has more bolt shroud than the 1X/11X. I'm on the Savage Shooters forum, also, and it seems the biggest issue with them is the polymer stocks are flimsy.

Pretty much the only interchangeable parts are barrel lugs and barrels. Maybe the cocking handle and scope mounts, but as I don't have an Axis, IDK for sure. I *think* Boyd's was going to make stocks.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Is the 11/111 series worth the few extra bucks?

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.

And on that note, I'm not a fan of budget rifles when there's plenty out there for a little bit more money.

I always reccomend the weatherby vanguard for people who don't want to break the bank. I have seen a them for well under 500 dollars and all the ones I've had have been quite accurate out of the box and are solidly built guns. You might even checknout a howa 1500 (same action, same factory as the vanguard). I think the tikkas are still up at 650-750 dollars so too big of a jump from your starting point to reccomend. Winchester also has the New XPR rifle which might be worth a look.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
A new Tikka T3x will likely be in the 6-700 range. You might be able to find a T3 on closeout at a ~500 range if you're wanting to stay with a new rifle.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, the number series Savages are worth the extra money, both in ownership experience and resale. If I were buying a disposable truck rifle for a young man who will beat the snot out of it, then the Axis would make sense. However, most young ladies will take care of and possibly even treasure that first rifle from Dad, so give her something worth holding on to.

PS. I cherish my Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage, even though it was a hand me down times 3. Quality lasts.

Posts: 2032 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
One last thought-if this is one of the rifle/scope packages, the scopes aren't great on any entry rifle. Factor a replacement into the equation, or see if an un-scoped 1X/11X is about the same cost as a package Axis.

I have my model 10 set up to swap barrels/bolts. With the .243, I got a Nitrex TR1 (Weaver) 3X9 from Natchez Shooter Supply. They were ~$60.00 at the time for a gloss black model. I read up on them and they are not sexy, but well thought of. They're a one-piece tube and made in Japan.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Smile

I see they sell the 11/111 in a package with a Nikon 3-9x40 for about $550 (my Google search has shown that the Nikon is worth about $150).

The Tikka T3 I can't find for less than $600 online.

Gonna do the rounds on Saturday, favorite local gun shop first and then probably Dick's and maybe a little road trip up to Cabela's.

Also, I've been reading more about the 25.06 round and I'm quite interested.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for all the info, much appreciated. Smile

I see they sell the 11/111 in a package with a Nikon 3-9x40 for about $550 (my Google search has shown that the Nikon is worth about $150).

The Tikka T3 I can't find for less than $600 online.

Gonna do the rounds on Saturday, favorite local gun shop first and then probably Dick's and maybe a little road trip up to Cabela's.

Also, I've been reading more about the 25.06 round and I'm quite interested.

25-06 is a great round. Also don't forget to check out the weatherby vanguard, I've seen them with a leupold vx1 for quite a good price.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Yes, it's on the list to check out, along with the XPR.

Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got one of these in .243 (for my daughters to shoot)and I am very happy with the scope. my #2 daughter killed her first deer (8-point) at 265 yrds, just pulled up the Nikon app and told her what part of the reticle to line up in the kill zone, and....BAMMM
my #4 daughter has kill one with it, as has my son
the trigger is great, I will probably get another one this year (5 daughters, you know) probably go with the stainless barrel this time

"Take your kids hunting and you won't have to hunt for your kids" - Uncle Ted

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
SWMBO has an axis in 223 for a practice gun. The trigger was replaced with... A timney, I think? It was about $100.

She likes it just fine, and can shoot the hell out of it. I'm not impressed by the build quality, but the targets don't lie. I'm happy she can shoot such an inexpensive rifle so well, saves me money. Lol

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hey! I like stuff
posted Hide Post
My Savage Axis II in .270 is a shooter, great trigger for what I paid. The scope combo that came with it was very loose when I picked it up, didn't take much to get it dialed in though. I think I picked mine up for just south of $400 about four years ago.

Posts: 2756 | Location: Sterling, VA | Registered: July 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
So I checked out all on the list but the XPR so far. Going to stop at the shop up the road from work maybe tomorrow to see what they have.

But as of right now I'm probably going to order the 11/111 in 25.06

For the price $530 with the Nikon 3-9 scope, that's a pretty good deal.