SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Looking for input on .223 bolt gun options
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for input on .223 bolt gun options Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I'm not the expert on Model 7 sized actions, but they are definitely shorter than standard sized (308 Win) actions. I believe the 223 mags for the Model 7 / Badger 7 system are noticeably smaller than standard 308 AICS mags.

The Model 7 action is smaller and lighter than the Model 700 action, but the factory Model 7 rifles still come in .308 family cartridges - I assumed the Model 7 action has a similar length of bolt travel and similar sized inside diameter and port and just had thinner walls and less length for barrel tenon engagement. Maybe I'm missing something.

I found this page:

https://rifleshooter.com/2015/...-and-700-comparison/

It looks like the Model 7 action is actually shorter behind the port rather than in front of it.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I also just came across the Cooper Model 51, which appears to be a .223-sized action and uses detachable magazines. Cooper's website has basically no actual information about their rifles, though, and Cooper was never really on my radar so I don't know anything about them.

quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
You need to find a SAKO Vixen from 40 or so years ago. Easier to find a .222 than .223 but nothing wrong with that.
No detachable magazine but you will have to compromise on something unless you go full custom.

Those are pretty little rifles, definitely something to think about.

I have an early 50's Remington Model 722 in .222 that was my dad's first deer rifle as a kid, it's a great rifle and the cartridge is just fine, but for this I'd really like to be able to shoot some of the 70-80 grain high-BC bullets for practice out to maybe 600 yards.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I also just came across the Cooper Model 51, which appears to be a .223-sized action and uses detachable magazines. Cooper's website has basically no actual information about their rifles, though, and Cooper was never really on my radar so I don't know anything about them.

I've fondled a handful of Cooper rifles and briefly shot one that was chambered in 22lr.

The fit and finish of Cooper rifles is outstanding. Among the best I've seen. They tend to be pretty expensive, however I haven't looked at their prices in years. Back then they didn't have higher capacity detachable magazines, along the lines of AICS. Take their test targets for a given rifle with a big grain of salt. At least in the past, Cooper states their rifles are quite accurate at 100 yards, as evidenced by a test target. But the test targets aren't shot at 100 yards, like they imply. Evidently the test targets are shot somewhere between 45 and 55 yards, most likely at an indoor facility. This comes from the combination of an ex employee, and from a gun mag article that was evaluating (aka promoting) their rifles. But they never tell the customers the exact distance to the target.

Some people have political issues with the original owner (or president?) of Cooper. I don't recall the details, but I think it was related to his stance on gun laws or rights. The backlash from the public evidently hurt their sales noticeably, and his role with the company was reduced. Or the Board said it was reduced. It really didn't make my radar.

Ultimately I didn't go with Cooper. I found a Kimber 22lr rifle that shoots as well or better for a lot less money. I went with GA Precision for a center fire rifle, due to magazine and barrel weight preference.

I find Cooper's test target thingie an issue. Still.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
From what I am seeing online, Dan Cooper donated money to Obama, everyone got pissed, and he stepped down as CEO. I would assume he is still involved somehow or still owns the company or something.

I also came across some discussion of the test targets indicating they're shot at a 50 yard indoor range. I'm not sure whether Cooper themselves are misleading about that or not.

As far as I can tell, the available detachable magazines are flush-fit 4 round magazines and there isn't anything else.

Cooper seems to mostly target the elegant hunting rifle crowd, and I lean more towards the practical side, but they do make some rifles with durable finishes and high quality synthetic stocks.

This is my custom 6.5 CM, and ideally I'd be going for something vaguely similar here (one of these days I'll be brave enough to spray paint the $3000 scope):

Nothing is ever easy.

There are a lot of great .22 options. I've been very happy with my Sako Quad (somewhat ironically, given this discussion - the receiver and magazines are sized for .22 Magnum, and the .22 LR magazines have an internal spacer) and with a 10/22 I built using a TacSol receiver and Kidd barrel.

posted Hide Post
I believe a TC Compass might meet your requirements.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call GA perscision and order up a Squire. Try it, you will like it. And if for some crazy reason it does not meet your needs, sell it. As long as you don’t beat it you will get nearly all your money back. But you won’t sell it.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sasquatch28:
I believe a TC Compass might meet your requirements.

It looks like the .223 is built on the same receiver as the normal short action cartridges. Thank you, though.

Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stlhead:
Call GA perscision and order up a Squire. Try it, you will like it. And if for some crazy reason it does not meet your needs, sell it. As long as you don’t beat it you will get nearly all your money back. But you won’t sell it.

Thank you, but the Squire is built on a Model 7 action, which, while shorter behind the port than a Model 700 action, is still a .308-size receiver, and it uses .223 AICS mags, which are the same external size as .308 AICS mags.

posted Hide Post
If wishes where fishes we would all cast nets.

Posts: 1788 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: June 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
OP, I know CZ USA released some 527 actions a year or two ago set up for use with either the 7.62x39 or 6.5 Grendel. Maybe call them up and see if they've made any available for .223s?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mini mauser CZ action is decent and you might get lucky in the accuracy department. I have a couple of full size CZ and they do not disappoint in the accuracy. I currently use the Mossberg mvp in .223 for predator hunting. It is roughly finished, small, light, and runs just around one moa with quality ammunition. The Mossberg is inexpensive and I used the surplus for a nice vortex optic.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Cattivo and mlazarus.

I juat called CZ and they confirmed that they do sell bare 527 receivers in all the available boltfaces, you just have to get an FFL to order one through a distributor.

I had also come across mention of CZ selling bare receivers years ago, but they don't appear anywhere in the 2018 catalog I got when I bought my daughter a CZ 455 Scout, so I figured maybe they didn't do it anymore. It's always worth it to ask!

If I can find a gunsmith I like that will do it, I'm leaning towards ordering a 527 action and getting a gunsmith to put together exactly what I want. I'll have to think about it a bit more.

posted Hide Post
I had limited time on my new 16" AR-15 upper last weekend, but did shoot 2 groups of 5 at 100 yards. The targets weren't the best for my eyes, which resulted in some vertical stringing -- this is quite normal for me. On both groups I essentially put 3 rounds in the same hole, then tossed a round high or low. A quick measurement with a 25x scope against 1" grids on the on paper produced a 5/8" group for Hornady 55 VMax and a 3/4" group for FGMM 69 while using a 2-10x scope. With a quality barrel, even shorter ARs can be accurate.

On the 223 bolt action side, my preferred configuration is evolving. Gone is the action coating, as I'm thinking bare stainless is just fine. Sure, this rifle's first barrel will be black carbon fiber wrapped. The stock will likely be some flavor of tan or subdued tan camo. Call it a calico mix. I've pretty decided the action will be Defiance, although I haven't ruled out Big Horn. Action length will be standard 308-ish, and a magwell for AICS-sized mags.

The deciding factor is that if I go down the true short action path, this rifle will forever be a 223 case length rifle. It's doubtful that I won't be thoroughly thrilled with the 223. But....if I don't like it, too bad so sad. In the event that someone (are you listening Prime Ammo?) comes out with loaded 6 Dasher ammo, I expect I will be all over that like white on rice. Maybe even enough to dump 223 and move to Dasher. Or maybe not.

But regardless, I have the option with a standard length action. Just my personal action plan. YMMV.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Kimber Model 84 in 223 and it's the nicest production bolt rifle I have: Short action, Mauser style controlled feed action, three position Winchester Model 70 wing safety, beautiful wood and very light (under 6 lbs). What more could one ask for?!

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kaschi:
What more could one ask for?!

Does it hit what you shoot at? Wink

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post